So I installed steam again...

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by dchalf10, Jun 22, 2012.

1. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Updated it to it's fullest, installed L4D....updated it to it's fullest.

Then the game wouldn't even launch so I uninstalled the game, program and then threw my retail steam game disks in the garbage.

The end /s

P.S Why does anyone bother with that draconian B.S when that's the sort of crap you have to deal with.

I filed a steam ticket for a game ( F.E.A.R 2 ) that would not launch about a year ago. After 3 weeks I got a response asking me what was wrong and to provide a screenshot ( even though I told them the probelm ( game kept saying not up to date even though it was fully patched and I was in online mode ). I didn't bother responding...waiting another 3 weeks for the second of a string of messages wasn't very appealing.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Maybe it's not a problem with Steam and its another issue?

I play games on Steam all the time. Download and redownload games all the time and I've had a few problems yes, but usually if you try all the normal fixes first before throwing a tantrum you can fix it yourself.

Also, as someone who is in a support role, getting screenshots of errors is extremely helpful instead of someone just telling you what the problem is. 99.9% of the time the user doesn't give the whole story and leaves important info out of the e-mail. Getting a screenshot of the actual error leaves no questions unanswered.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Games won't launch for me if my bandwidth is saturated by any other program. Limit the speed of other programs and it runs fine.

4. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Who needs to file a ticket when you've got G3D? Probably wouldn't have taken 3 weeks to get a reply either.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Your os bjorked then, never had any problem installing a steam game, including l4d

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX3070
    thats the attitude, something is wrong with the pc, then throw away games.
    good thing its hooked to your online account :)

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You seem to have an issue on your end, not steams

F.E.A.R. 2 i can not account for, though it never had any problems for me, but L4D? If you can't get that to start you have something wrong with your system, stop blaming something else for your problems

aka, regardless of if it was attached to steam or not, you still wouldn't be able to play L4D, or get it to start, because it's not steam that is causing the problem, its your PC, make sense?

8. shoja

shoja Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Using steam for years now and I have yet to come across any issues with my steam games. Maybe something funky on your pc's side?

9. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Lol wut? There are still Steam haters ?

10. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    Yes and I'd do just about anything not to install it... lol
    If I had cheap and reliable unlimited bandwidth I'd probably see things different.

11. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Never had any problem with Steam games, instaling, deleting, repairing, back up, modding, etc etc.

Something must be wrong with your pc.

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I thought steam was uncapped in Australia :-S

13. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Non-Valve game has a problem, automatically assumes it's Steam
    F***ing Valve! I hate that fat f*** gay ben! ARRRGH!

After having problems with a game not developed by Valve, proceed to contact Valve support and have no success
    F***ing Valve support! Why don't they know everything about everything ever! ARRRGH! Why sell games if you don't know anything about them!!!

The funniest bit was where you threw the discs in the bin. THERE'S NOTHING ON THE DISCS, SILLY!

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The game actually is on the disc, just not updated.

As for your problem, I can't say. It's not Steam. I've been using steam for seven years now and never had that problem once.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If it's Steamworks, the it's Valve's responsibly.

Does Steam deserve alot of the hate it gets? No!!
    Is Steam flawless? Is it f*ck!!

They get away with murder and its the PC equivalent of Xbox Live where people defend it to the death, but mostly because they are used to it and it's convenient, rather than anything actually useful, i do know this as i used to do it myself.

The Offline mode is a joke, and is broken by design, and as per Valve Customer Service it won't be fixed ever as it's a "feature" not a bug.

Saying that, if it wasn't for that i would love Steam like i used to, so if your online and everything is good on your PC, then you shouldn't have any issues with any game on Steam, so sorry the issue is likely on your own PC.

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    STEAM is not flawless, true. It's got problems... some get fixed, new ones pop up... that happens with any piece of software that is updated as often as STEAM is.

But, a lot of the "problems" people tend to have with STEAM are often not even related to STEAM itself. People tend to misinterpret problems a particular games has specifically as a problem with STEAM.

But, I use STEAM every day. All my games run without issue, offline mode works fine as long as the game I want to play is fully updated/installed. Yes, it can be troublesome... and it could be a LOT better. But, people can't say "it doesn't work" considering there are a lot of people that can get it to work.

As with any program or service... there will always be people who hate it, people who are overly dramatic about it's problems... those that defend it, and those that defend it waaaaay too much.
    I love STEAM. But, I will openly admit any problems I encounter so long as they are on STEAM and not because of a problem on my end.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Very true, and my offline mode complaints are because of me not paying my cable bill, but i would so love an option that made it so that the Steam software and my other 100+ games would still work even if one of them wasn't up to date, surely that can't be too hard.

As for installation issues, i have yet to have a single issue if i'm online, and alot of the time i try to break things just for the "fun" of it.
    Got to be a system issue, corrupt HDD or maybe messing with the installation manually in some way.

18. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Um...no.

I didn't have a problem installing the game you thick prick.

The game installed and was fully updated....as stated in the O.P.

The game wouldn't launch.

Amusing that you say my O.S is broken when every other game works just fine.

I also verified the integrity of the games cache and it passed, still wouldn't launch. The problem is with steam.

19. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i had a game not launch before. click it and nothing ever happened.
    i reinstalled windows, full format. drivers apps and steam games and then it worked fine.
    why i dunno...actually i don't care. just sayn what worked for me. but other than that and deus ex 3 always crashing regardless of what i try. never any other issue with Steam.

20. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    @dchalf10
    Deal with it.

...nah, j/k. :p
    But regarding Steam support, it's better off you go to the game's respective Steam forum.
    The users are more adept at solving problems than Steam support staff would ever be.