So, I finally delid my i7700K.... and??

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by CPC_RedDawn, Jul 13, 2017.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I am literally in awe at the differences.

I used:

delid-die-mate 2 (which was super easy to use and very well made).
    UHU Silikon High Temperature Sealant (pretty good stuff).
    Thermal Grizzly Liquid Metal Conductant.
    IC Diamond Thermal Paste.

The process was pretty easy, used an old credit card to scrap off the previous sealant, and some 99.9% isopropyl alcohol to clean off the substrate and the die it self and the IHS too.

After cleaning I started to use the thermal grizzly on the die... HOLY **** moment of panic I pressed too hard on the syringe and the ENTIRE tube splattered all over my desk and on my monitor!!!!

Luckily it was a practice run and it wasn't on the chip it self... I managed to clean it up easily with some of the isopropyl alcohol and managed to salvage some drops of thermal grizzly and use that on the die. You only need a few pin drops of the stuff.

Then using a cotton bud (which is provided) you have to slowly spread it over the die, its liquid metal based so it likes to stick to other metals. So getting a nice rectangle pool of it on the die is pretty easy. I didn't get any on the substrate as this would catastrophic as this stuff is electrically conductive!!

Then using the UHU sealant it made a square around the outside of the IHS, used the relid tool on the delid-die-mate and used the clamp the hold it on. I left it to cure in sunlight for around 40 minutes. Which was plenty of time.

Sure it wasn't the best of jobs as some sealant had squeezed out the sides but it was on and it was solid.

I then used some IC Diamond on top of the IHS, and reinstalled my Predator 360 AIO, which is also cooling my GTX1080 too with quick disconnects.

Right now onto the good stuff.... :D :banana: :D

:puke2: Temps Before delid :puke2: :

stock 4.5GHz core clock/3600MHz RAM

idle - 32C
    max full load - 76C

:banana:Temps after delid: :banana:

stock 4.5GHz core clock/3600MHz RAM

idle - 24C
    max full load - 55C

I am averaging 46C across all cores when stressing!! Thats an 8c drop at idle and at full load a massive 21C drop!!!! :eek2:

Sure this is at stock and I have not had time to overclock just yet, but when I tried to 5GHz before I delid I was hitting temps of around 91C!! So with this in mind if the drop from delidding stays true when overclocking I should be hitting around 70C full load when overclocking to 5GHz! :D This would be insane if true. I do not know if that 5GHz overclock was stable though as I stopped the test as 91C is a joke and I didn't want to push it that far. If I can get 4.8GHz I will be happy.

Anyone else got any delid stories? Also what would you guys class as good voltage for 5GHz on a 7700K? I was running I think 1.35v but LLC would kick in and take that to 1.375v.

Cheers for reading if you got this far, here have a binary tin of spam! :spam2:

MIXXX and airbud7 like this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Cool, thanks for sharing :)

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Dat's some insane drop in temps! Gratz!

Surprised that even Kaby Lake gains that much as you'd think Intel would have improved the thermal solution.
    My guess is the default adhesive is just too thick creating a gap between IHS and CPU.

CPC you can clean the squeezed-out adhesive after completely cured with a carpet cutter or small knife. Just trim along the edges of the IHS. Carefully :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  4. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Well done
    It can be very intimidating to start taking apart a very expensive part like a cpu.

Looks like you're done a good job and the temp drop is insane .

Why intel just cant do it right in the first place is beyond me , it would only make their products better for them and us too , maybe with AMD being on the scene again it might just make intel look at such things in there future products now . hopeful thinking :) :)

5. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I will pass on the Spam (thanks anyway) but those are some nice temp drops congrats dude! Let me throw some useless knowlege in for you guys now....You can also use Liquid Goo remover works just as well as the Rubbing-Alcohol.

I cant believe you spilled that stuff all over your monitor, sorry dont mean to laugh but when you are xtra careful thats when **** happens the most, dont you just hate that?! lol

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yup it does indeed. I nearly **** my pants when it happened! The monitor is a 2k 144hz gsync 27" cost me £650 brand new!! Thankfully isopropyl works wonders and cleans it off great.

Mate when I took off the IHS and saw the thermal paste that Intel used it was insane. Ut was thick, crusty, and some of it looked like powder!! Terrible stuff they used. They should of just used solder like the good old days. Nice to AMD using solder on Ryzen though.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Ugh, you'd think someone like Intel would know better than that :p

Yeah Ryzens use soldered IHSs, which is nice. Incidentally my 6-core/12-thread R5 often runs cooler under load than my previous Haswell i5.

I did replace the cooler too though but it's a similar heatpipe cooler as the previous one and slightly smaller.

Also glad your monitor didn't get damaged, if that had happened to me I'd probably have had a stroke :D

8. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    I got about the same with my 4790k. I did find however that not gluing the headspreader on made an even bigger difference. I saw an extra 3c drop on load on 2 of the cores. and 1-2 on the other 2 cores. the glue can make the spreader alittle lopsided after it fully cures.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Intel probably won't change back to solder, why would they? It's only enthusiasts that care. If someone stuff's up a delid they only way to fix it is to buy another CPU. Win-win for Intel.

10. Subaru Swift

Subaru Swift Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb STRIX OC
    Nice one, looking good at them temps. :)

On a side note I did my spare computer running a 3770 cpu the other day & it dropped 4c at idle & a cool 18c drop at full load in prime !
    Hence I'm going to do my 4770k tonight & see what I can drop that down to now.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Careful with the 4770K as it has some extra components on the substrate that needs isolating with sealant I think. I would double check youtube for a guide if I was you.

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No it doesn't.

How exactly do you think it degrades metal?

13. Subaru Swift

Subaru Swift Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb STRIX OC

Cheers for the heads up, I read a fair few pages before I did it !
    I got some clear nail vanish & coated the little line of components. I also used thermal grizzly kryonaut paste non conductive on the cpu & the water block, as I used that metal based stuff in the past & it was a pain to get right....

All went well & my temps are lower all round, :)

14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Great job Bro!......does a 2600k use solder or is it like yours?

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    2600k uses solder.

ivy bridge, 3770k started the paste.

airbud7 likes this.

16. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Thanks Agent^.....yea I remember that now/ thats when all the delid stuff started