So, got into a bit of trouble [Origin Related]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by nanogenesis, Oct 26, 2014.

1. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Recently for some reason yahoo wouldn't let me log in without my security answer (which I obviously forgot). In the past 5 years of use this is the first time its asked me, I don't remember and I am at fault.

Now this is where Steam shines, I was able to change my email to a new one with zero issues. However Origin refuses to follow logic. I realized I don't remember my Origin security question as well.

This is where the tricky part comes, support needs me to have access to my primary email (which I can't). I told them I can prove I own the account by mentioning all the Alpha/Beta expired hidden in my account (an unknown user can't see once its hidden) however they didn't listen.

So far I can log in fine, but I fear one day if they force password resets or with the launch of a newer client make logon verification forced, I'm basically locked out of my account.

The good part is only BF4 & BFBC2 are the purchased games 20/1$ each and the rest were mostly acquired in on the house.

Ultimately yes its my fault, but now I begin to see why Steam is so successful. Hopefully Origin never does anything stupid and I can continue to login as it is.

And word of advice, Always remember your security question! :p This cost me 21$ and a lesson I'll never forget.

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Oh I had these kind of troubles too after battle.net forced their security measures through the roof after "WoW hardcore players being phished out of their accounts."

Made me repurchase warcraft 3 for 20 bucks just because of that.

3. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Origin had secret questions??

Oh boy... better change them now.

4. Lancegrim

Lancegrim Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 760 / 2 GB
    Well why dont you reset your yahoo password with an alternate email address? I just hit google with "forgot yahoo mail password" and like a million answers popped out, even a video that explains it.

So just reset your yahoo password and be on the happy side of gaming ^^

"Go to the Yahoo Password Helper.
    Select I have a problem with my password and click Next.
    Enter your Yahoo ID and click Next.
    If prompted, enter the code from the CAPTCHA text verification.
    Select your alternate email address and click Next.
    - An email with the subject "Reset your Yahoo password" will be sent to the alternate email address you selected.
    When you receive the email, click the Reset My Password link in the email message.
    Enter your new password, and click Next."

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Origin is a waste of time, i gave my account away with BF4 premium etc to a member on here. Maybe you do the same and be done with it......?

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Vet Y U NO PLAY BF4? u give up too soon, origin is fine, it does have it's annoyance but most of the time it works.

And u just like that, gave BF4 to someone... i hope as well u do the same with hardline :D

7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Tbh I love it when I can use my phone to text myself to get my password back or anything. Sure I need a 2nd device, but it's less of a hassle. Done that a few times for customers.

8. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Have you tried ringing EA support, telephone support tends to be better than email/live chat, I think it's free (or was)

9. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350

I've tried 'forgot my password', it still requires the security question to be answered, for me. It seems I didn't link it to an alternate.

As for trying EA customer support, it seems only live chat is available in my region.

10. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    "Location: Antarctica"

I think so too.

11. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    I had a similar problem with Blizzard and the local customer support unlocked my battle.net account, the guy even said to me what was my security question answer. Just had to talk a little about my identification and my character in Diablo 3.

12. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    I can try an international EA number however I fear it will land up costing more than the account is worth itself.

Also that seems quite neat, talking about your character in D3. If only EA's live chat asked you how many SRAW kills you did yesterday :p

13. undercoverb0ss

undercoverb0ss Guest

GPU:
    GTX 690
    I have the same issue as you. I originally signed up with my college email address which is no longer valid, and I also forgot my security answer :(

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I can relate to such problems. I hate that over the top security aspects, when databases (on the company's side) are the true spot where hackers do most damage.

But, on the other hand... didn't you set up the security question in first place? If you can't remember though, you might want to write such stuff down :D I don't see the program (Origin) being the problem, and I use it daily and dislike it twice a day. But, you didn't remember your details... don't want to bash you, but it's like losing your home key, and the replacement key... so the manufacturer of the the lock is to blame?

15. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Well I did say its my fault, but also how easily steam allows you to do stuff without putting the security question in your face. While searching for solutions I stumbled on a post where someone's security question was compromised and if he changed the pass, the hacker would just use the security question to change it back because the user forgot the security answer :p

Now I don't have my pitchforks raised against origin. I like BF4 and will buy it in a heartbeat (well if theres a sale lol) if I lose my a/c. However seeing a different service adopt a different policy just frustrates/hurts/enrages/<insert word here> me.

Steam is like 'yo you are in your house, and lost the replacement key? lets make a new key!' and Origin is like 'I asked you something when I gave you the replacement key, you must remember it otherwise I won't help you!'

Like I said, I honestly never thought something like this would happen, but it did, and I'm glad it didn't happen with an a/c value of 100$+. I'm glad its only 21$ burnt if at all anything burns. The 'On the house' games I just added to my library for count and bf3 to play with friends but bf3 doesnt have airburst omg how I plai lel.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, now I get your point. I agree, steam is ahead of other online platforms in so many ways you could say years. It's the experience they have, paired with some good ideas (and some not so good ones ;) ).

Steam's security is mostly uncomplicated, yet I noticed several hints from t hem as I set up Steam on my HTPC, the app on my phone... you get the picture. If your account is compromised, I guess the best chances to even realise it before it's all too late would be with steam.

17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Origin has come a long way. They implemented several similar features Steam has which actually saved my account just two weeks ago when someone tried to hack it.

You know the purpose of security questions is to pick a question you wont forget right?

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes I do agree, that's why I was wondering what the op's point was ;)

And yes, origin came it's way, yet it lacks so many things that just work on steam, and to be honest, I feel it is limited in everything I want to use it for or do with it, compared to steam that is.

19. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB

Security questions are a problem because sometimes it's just five options with stupid things like "what was the name of your first pet? the name of your best teacher?" etc. If you don't find a question that fits you then it's a problem.

20. KrzYsieK8926

KrzYsieK8926 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 7770 Ghz Edition
    Origin don't have much features but at least it has clean, easy to read layout.
    For me biggest drawback is lack of game backup feature, Steam has fantastic backup.
    Sorry for off topic.

OP you can't blame EA here, sorry. Luckily You didn't have many games on your account.

^^
    Favorite teacher is not bad question, very easy to remember.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014