So about all this overclocking jazz...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by guitars69, May 23, 2006.

1. guitars69

guitars69 New Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce FX 5900 128MB
    hi all, "I'm new here" (seems to be the most used phrase for us newbies) anyways...

I've got a MSI NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 with 128MB RAM (8xAGP) in my computer. I'm curious what overclocking really does for people. I know benchmarking results will say yes it's better, but in real world performance playing say Counter Strike: Source... What would I gain from overclocking?

Am I just gonna' get some higher FPS? Will I be able to turn up some features and maintain my average FPS? Will not naked ladies pop out of my screen?

Secondly, what does turning my card into a Quadro FX series card with a softmod accomplish? I am a 3D modeler so I do use Max and Maya sometimes (I have a degree but haven't really used it) so i'm not just a gamer. I used to own a Quadro 750XGL but it fried because my fan froze up. (stuck a card right next to it and it ended up getting too dusty... long story short, I replaced it with this 5900 a few years back)

Thanks in advance.

2. Loki91

Loki91 Maha Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA 8800GTS 512MB @670
    welcome to guru3d.
    overclocking is setting the speeds that ur card operates at to faster ones. this means that ur card works harder, and generates more heat. benchmarking applications like 3Dmark is really sensitive to differences in speed etc, and scores can change drastically if overclocking occurs. in real life however, only the most extreme of overclocks will bring very visible frame increases. naked ladies will not pop out of the screen, but some people here would argue otherwise :p. anyways, by making ur card work harder you can get frame increases, but usually not much more than 7FPS faster than what you're working at stock with stock cooling. also consider that overclocking can shorten ur card's life span and may even permanently damage it due to heat issues etc.

3. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 FTW
    Running your memory and core at higher speeds allows the card to process data faster therefore improving your frames per second in games. You can take advantage of the extra power by turning up the image quality settings while still maintaining decent frame rates or just enjoy the faster FPS which will help out your kill ratio in first person shooters.

Most 5900 cards overclock well, you will see a nice performance boost if you can get a decent overlcock out of it which you should be able to.

As far as modding your card to a Quadro, I know people do it but I'm not into modeling or CAD so I'm not sure what the benifit is.

4. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    I used to have a 5900, stock 400/800 and it easily oc'ed to 500/975, the speed increase was well worth it in-game.

5. Loki91

Loki91 Maha Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA 8800GTS 512MB @670
    how much boost did u get from ur ocs?

6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    bear in mind higher core speeds will help speed up geometry calculations, and overclocking the card's memory will increase bandwidth and improve performance when using higher resolutions, better quality texture filtering (anisotropic filtering should see much better performance), and anti-aliasing.

7. guitars69

guitars69 New Member

GPU:
    thanks guys :) Frying my card, although it would suck, would allow me to build a better computer with my wife's permission-lol

as for the quadro thing, I read that quadro's can do a couple of features that geforces can't, but I gathered that it's really driver related and the processor is pretty much the same between the two... my 5900 runs max and maya pretty well without any major problems already, so it may not be a big difference to me.

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  8. Toji

Toji Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT 256MB
    Don't flash your 5900 with a quadro firmware. They are completely diffrent. Quadros are use for modeling yes. But they are majorily used for CAD. Quadro based cards are not intended for consumer graphics. Infact A quadro will likely perform less than a Geforce of the same class. If you don't break the card, you end up with poorer performance in games.

Over clocking is different for every one. While it's true that you can inprove your GPU's horse power and memory bandwith by increasing clockspeed. That is only theoretical speed. For example if your card is clocked at 400 Mhz and you manage a 40Mhz overclock. That's just 10% increase. So if a game ran at 30 fps it, could theoreticaly reach 33 fps. Whoopie do.

Overclock it 20%? That would be hard to do even with the best cooling and voltage mods. If your games ran at 30 fps it will run at 36fps. wow ...

Can you increase graphics settings intead? Sure. It's the rendering of intense graphics that cause the game to skip frames to alow the game to be playable.
    the more settings you add or bump up, the more work your GPU gotta do, thus makes it skip more frames. Even a 20% OC is not enough to make much of a diffrence in terms of frame rate. Infact games may even look distorted or have glitches due to the GPu being at it's limmits.

OCing is to me is dumb, as you gain very little from it, and the fact that video cards double in rendering power every year, so what is the point of OCing if your going to upgrade anyways?

I for one know the easy and cheap way to improve performance without effecting game play, and that is to bump down graphics quality.

9. guitars69

guitars69 New Member

GPU:
    Thanks Toji... that's sort of where I was heading in my mind. I couldn't imagine a few fps would really be worth the risk usually.