Smoothness or high fps? pick one!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by xodius80, Jul 24, 2009.

1. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    off topic but in some games i found to smooth out with prerender frames at 6 and found no input lag at all at least in unreal tournament 3 i need to do more testing.

2. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    you'd notice it if you forced triple buffering.

3. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Minimum frame rate is so much more important for smoothness than average, or anything else for that matter.
    Its also important that if you care a lot about visual quality as I do that you enable triple buffering and vsync. Tearing isnt just an artifact, its what you see when a frame hasnt finished rendering when it was sent to the screen.
    I recommend that anyone who hasn't tried before uses d3doverrider to force triple buffering and vsync in all games.
    Most newer, well coded games do not suffer from increased input lag due to enabling triple buffering, and those that seem to suffer its actually down to the 'maximum prerendered frames' setting anyway.
    My benchmarked average framerate (i only say average because its usually the only one any benchmarking tools tell you about) with triple buffering and vsync on is within a couple of FPS of my results with vsync off.

So anyway, I vote for smoothness but my point was really that I see no reason for anyone to put up with a tearing, non-vsynced gaming experience these days.

4. Jack Nicholson

Jack Nicholson Member Guru

GPU:
    3 way SLI GTX 280 x 3
    Smoothness for me, I've been so spoiled by Vsync and Triple buffering I just can't stand the tearing...so distracting. For me that offers the most smooth gaming expereince. 60 FPS constant ftw!

5. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    theoretically smoothness comes from high fps but not always, some games are smooth @ capped 30fps, some need 60+.

so whats the use of high fps with a stuttery game?

i pick Smoothness.

6. N0bodyOfTheGoat

N0bodyOfTheGoat Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB
    Smoothnesss via v-sync and D3D overrider (in Rivatuner) for me and my 8800GTS 512MB.

7. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    ....has anyone thought to ask Unwinder to add a display state changer to that?

such as forcing higher resolutions or display depth?.. might help with older games like theif,.. well, atleast for titles that hasn't got a patch made for it yet.

8. ati666

ati666 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9-290x Windforc
    al right first of all image quality (i would sacrifce smoothness and fps for IQ anytime), secondly smoothness and last but not least FPS.

9. KrankFL

KrankFL Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 6850 PE/OC Cyclone
    I enjoy smooth gameplay, whats the point of having vsync disabled on an lcd anyway, screen tearing is ridiculous, so I usually play at 60 fps.

10. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    I've been waiting for some time (since the subject of microstutter came up), to see how long it would take for someone to pose this question. kudos to the O.P. In my book, smoothness prevails over high, inconsistent framerates any day of the week. I sometimes visit another very popular board and the guys there are always "chiming" on about how exotic GDDR5 is compared to GDDR3 and other silliness...like who has the first DX11 card etc...instead of what actual gives smoother and more consistant gameplay. I've never cared about spiking framerates. I'll take a lower framerate that fast...yet steady.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009

11. EarlZ

EarlZ Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Zotac GTX 780
    Who doesnt want 60 constant FPS over 500fps that spikes down to 10fps. Oh wait those "gamers" that say 120fps is smoother than 60FPS

12. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    I'm not entirely sure that's what gamers mean when they mention 120 FPS cap.

The magic 120 fps number came from old quake games and some newer games where the net code allowed super human jumps when your frame rate stayed above that magic number. This gave a BIG advantage to players that could keep their FPS in the 120 to 125 FPS range.

But yeah, Smooth=Rules

13. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    once started poll on amd forum about fps vs quality, result was totally for fps

anyways if i dont have smooth game play i start digging where is the problem, hardly can blame drivers for it as u can usually find suitable for ur needs

14. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    well, I guess I'd take smooth anyday. But, normally smooth means fairly high fps constantly. So it kind of goes hand in hand. But if you get somewhere around 500 fps, thats ridiculas. Totally pointless. a solid 60 would be plenty for any game!

15. kakashi2885

kakashi2885 Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 780 SC
    Totally noob question.. but do I turn vsync "on" in the driver CP, or leave it on "application preference" and turn vsync "on" in the game's settings?

And does that apply to AA/AF settings as well? :3eyes:

16. barwell1992

barwell1992 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    smooth games and high fps :D well at least thats what i get any way

also eye cannot tell the diforence between 60 and 1000fps because of its bilogical limitation

17. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    Leave it at Application Preference, and adjust it in the game. It usually is better to let the game apply it IMHO.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    When it's going super fast, it can. Run the Street fighter 4 benchmark locked at 60, then unlocked and tell me you don't see a difference then. :D

19. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    I always want to play with v-sync on+60 constant fps.
    Some games work better by forcing v-sync through nvcp, and some through the in game options.
    I also use d3doverrider with some games.
    I found a lot of help with the fps limiter. If i can't keep up my framerate constantly at 60fps in a specific game, i limit the framerate at 40 f.ex.
    I use the above method's to achieve what else ?
    SMOOTHNESS!!!

fps limiter link :

http://rapidshare.com/files/160642187/FPS_Limiter_0.2.rar

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070
    scoter: i think Crysis is the only game i've played that bent that rule of high framerate = smoothness. Have to admit, even around the 30fps range, Crysis still appeared quite smooth compared to the majority of other games around that framerate. probably because it didn't fluctuate very much too.... until you hit the ice section of the ORIGINAL Crysis, then oh dear god did the framerate ever tank.