Smoking Xbox Series X Investigated

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In the topic weird, Last week the Xbox Series X was launched and the first people to receive their new consoles began to report failures of all kinds. One of them, perhaps the most famous, was seen in...

Smoking Xbox Series X Investigated

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Wow - that's got to be the first time in history that an air purifier caught fire :)

MonstroMart and gdallsk like this.
  3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I am still with the whole vape fake side as i can't think of any components inside any console that would make it produce that kind of smoke, even if the psu were faulty there are safe guards in place in modern electronics that i doubt would allow this to happen.....hell on 25 years of building pcs even with the cheapest nastiest psu ever i have never seen them fall and produce this kind of thing, so call me skeptical on this one.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Dragam1337 and kakiharaFRS like this.
  4. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    What do you do when you got no games to play? You light up a smoke...

5. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    I'm with XP-200 and I've got a bit of smoke experience too, if it could produce something like this it would dissipate in less than 2 seconds so you'd have to be waiting for it to take such a picture, I had :
    - an athlon cpu go up in smoke because of bad contact with the radiator
    - a "800" watts psu explode after unknowingly trying 4K on my sli setup (battlefield 4 had resolution scaling had no idea what it did)
    - an old school projector light bulb that exploded violently projecting glass shards behind it "bazooka" style
    none made smoke long enough for me to take a picture

6. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Pahahaha so let me get this straight. Microsh!t is all over twitter saying not to vape in your xbox...but after investigating, they realized this sh!t is true!? lool.
    Also think about it, this console is using only 200w, wait till it hits 350 :D..the joy.

7. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    I have seen many PSU release that kind of smoke when someone switchs them to 110(we use 220 where i live), it's the big capacitors boiling

8. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Both consoles have hardware failures, it's normal to have a small percentage of failures: that's what warranty is for.
    That said, I'd never buy the first batch of a product like this, I'd wait for a revision of the console 1 year down the line, maybe on 5nm.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'd say MS did a good job responding to this situation. Nowadays, people are so used to yelling and pointing fingers whenever accused of something thing.

sykozis likes this.
  10. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    It's a debunked myth already, so very fake.

11. nehaxak

nehaxak Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070 gtx
    Looks real to me, looks exactly like what @Picolete mentioned.
    I've had ASrock motherboards literally go on fire before (twice) with as much if not more smoke than in that picture and had enough time to pick up my phone and take a picture, all of 5 seconds that takes.
    Not sure why there's so many idiots ragging on the poor guy it happened too.

sykozis and Mufflore like this.
  12. mdm

mdm Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE R9 FURY
    If "something" gets too hot, and there is plastic nearby (in plus of capacitor option); oh yes, it can produce that kind of smoke, and in very large quantities! Seen it myself...

sykozis likes this.
  13. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    that amount of smoke would have melted the bottom of the case as there would have to have been a serious amount of fire.

XP-200 likes this.
  14. gdallsk

gdallsk Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    xbox is multi-voltage

15. mdm

mdm Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE R9 FURY
    Not necessarily especially if the hot part is metal frame supported, and only a nearby plastic part is being heated to the point of smoking (but not burning). It can literally fume into a crisp without any fire (if the temperature is below ignition point).
    Have seen this in Industry quite often, since besides IT support, I do Industrial programing, PLC-s and stuff.
    And smoking plastic (without fire) is as much as I know always white!

16. mdm

mdm Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE R9 FURY
    Auto voltage switching can fail, seen that too...

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    So the guy got a replacement with possibly the same flaws.

I wouldn't dare to leave that thing on for even 5 minutes unattended after it happend once before.

I would thank MS for the replacement and ask my money back until they finished the investigation.

18. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I doubt he bought the thing to be used as decoration in the first place, so he wants to play games. Perhaps, based on his personal experience, he won't leave it running on its own, but that's pretty much it. Of course he could just wait until MS calls back, not powering up the replacement, but I doubt many would, unless he's otherwise so busy with his life it would change nothing.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Here's the thing. I would guess that dude making video is not complete idiot.
    But he would have to be, to make this video unless it was fake.

Because anyone sane would 1st care about many other things than taking video of anything that runs on electricity and has critical failure.
    - Toxic smoke, can't say anyone would stay anywhere near it with calm hand on camera.
    - Potential fire.
    - Risk of circuit breakers saying good bye.
    . . .

I have seen and smelled few SMDs burn and PCB. Each leave a bit of smoke. And I would have 1st priority to ensure that electricity will not make more burning possible. Then I would open Windows. But with smoke like in video, I would open windows 1st as it would be unbearable and carcinogenic.

20. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    No way would you get that amount of smoke when theres fans blowing on it too. You usually get a puff of smoke and then death but not here. I highly suspect this is fake. Look at the wooden crate it is sitting on, very convenient that it's on that kind of base.

I only thing i've seen putting out that amount of smoke is when the electrical current through a wrong wire gauge happens and the rubber/plastic around that cable starts to get super hot.