Smokers?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by serious1, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Robbie Man

Robbie Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950GT 512mb
    What the hell, whats with all the people starting at like 17 and 18, jesus christ your old enough to realise they are deadly why start then??!?!? oh well its your lungs your destroying.
    Me? yes I smoke, only the special kind of cig... you know.. that green iky stuff that smells like a skunk, and has little red hairs all over it, and makes you hungry. :uhoh:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  2. samusaran1

samusaran1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 710/1970
    I have smoked off and on for 10-12 years now. I am not addicted. I do enjoy the way it feels when you grab a smoke after a really ****ty day though.

I may smoke a pack a day for a few months and then just not want one for a few months and then smoke a pack over the period of several months. I am a very inconsistent smoker but I do not consider myself an addict. When done in moderation, everything has its place

3. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    never started and never WILL!!

4. dB

dB Guest

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
    Not yet anyways. I advice that you quit now if you don't want to be smoking a pack+ of cigarettes a day ;).

@Deadman: Yes everyone dies, but have you known anyone who has had cancer, and how long, slow, and painful the death is for the individual and their families? Smoking just isn't worth it IMHO :\.

It would also be no fun to spend your latter years in one of these things:
    [​IMG]

:leave:

5. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Started when I was 12. It was easy to come by because everyone in my family that was an adult smoked, except my mother. I quit January 14th 2003 because I hated it. I had tried to quit before but just kept falling back in due to social outtings and personal relationships.
    I figured I was going to have to quit eventually when my lungs gave out and I was bed ridden because of smoking or I could quit on my own terms. I chose to do it on my own terms. Never smoked again.
    It wasn't easy though. I was sick for 6 months. The "morning cough/hack" didn't go away for almost a year. I couldn't drink "the booze" without dam near losing it. Didn't sleep for along time. Dreampt about it ALOT. Actually, I still do. If I didn't have a job that allowed me to work as much as wanted to and turned to computer building for kicks, I probably would never have quit.
    Now I can't even stand the smell. Let alone imagine what it would be like to wake up in the morning and have a smoke. Something I did every day for about 13yrs. It was one of the hardest things I ever did that only involved me just not doing something.
    Now I am clean and healthier than I have ever been in my whole adult life. Doing beter at 30 than I was at 18.

6. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Never started, never will. Four of my uncles smoked pretty heavily, one still does and he drinks a lot too. One uncle has had two bypasses and half of his lungs removed, another is now diabetic and not doing well, another is constantly sick and poor as hell because he spends it all on smokes and booze and the other was able to cut back his drinking and smoking in time to prevent most of that from happening to him. Based on my family history I have enough health concerns to look forward to, no need to complicate them with the expense both financially and physically involved with heavy drinking and smoking.

I won't tell someone to stop. It's their choice and, hey, so long as my time around them when they are doing it is limited (I have horrible allergies that act up around it) I'm fine. But if someone is coming up to me and smoking in my face I'll ask them to put it out as it really does make it hard for me to breathe.

7. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    that is a very good point :D if someone is bothered about my smoking, and they say something to me politely, i will respect them because they showed me respect and walk off or something! if they're going to disregard my feelings and be an ass about it purposefully and with clear intent, however, while my being an ass by smoking is purely incidental and not directly malicious (although obnoxious i'll give ya that), then i'll rip em a new one and they'll deserve it IMO :eek:ver:

that said, i can admit when i'm being hypocritical :)

roger that

but really, i'm not going to be smoking cigs too much longer. sure i look like a badass (rofl), but my lungs will be happier later on.

8. The_AC

The_AC Guest

GPU:
    R9 390X
    Smoking is stupid, but being stupid is a basic human right.

9. BattleStar

BattleStar Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512
    I did a little count and realized that everyone i know that smokes are either sick or dead. The only ones still alive are those that quit smoking. But my concern does not lie with those that smokes, its ok for me if they want to do it. The one thing not ok for me is smoking where it disturbs other people like in public areas.

10. Deadman93723

Deadman93723 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    With the way people drop dead from heart disease in my family I'll never live long enough to get cancer. Besides if smoking cigarettes is the worst thing I do that is pretty good for me.

11. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Hi.

Beem smoking since '94 - now I'm 36 and still do. I have the odd cigar on an evening also. Although it's a serious vice, it's the only one I have. I don't go and out and drink and even if I did, since 1st July this year in England you can't smoke in public places. If you want a cig, you have to go outside.

12. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Smoked from '97-'02. Just because everyone else was doing it basically. Stopped hanging out with the crowd due to legal troubles and asked myself "Why the fack am I smoking?". Consequently quit and have only smoked 2 cigs since then, just to remind myself why I quit. You can repeat that little tale and supplant smoking with drinking, gangs, drugs, violence, and crime too. Seriously, I went from "nothing but trouble" to a facking straight arrow in the matter of 3 months. That's another story for another time though. Glad I quit and will never pick up again. I feel much more healthy these days, and food tastes/smells twice as good now. Plus people that smoke alot smell like **** lol.

13. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    never started per se, once every like months? for cannabis @ 17, im 18 now.

Regarding actual smokers.. well they dont bug me you know, i mean its their life etc but its not the first time i told someone after having one of those really bad smoke coughs to consider cutting down.. It does bug me however when smoke is blown into my face or when smoking is allowed within areas were a public ban should be in place..

14. Taylon

Taylon Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX OC
    would you specify public areas.

(directed at no one)
    as a smoker i feel its a non smokers right to please ask me to not smoke around them, which i would be polite and not. but if im outside and someone comes OVER to me to say its not alright, no deal. Also i HATE when a place has to go completely non smoking cause people bitch. If a non smoker chooses to go to a restraunt with a smoking section, then deal with it. juct like if someones at my house they will have to deal. smokers have the same rights as non-smokers and it seems to me some people forget that.

also i like the coment smoking is stupid, but there is no law against being stupid

15. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I smoke sometimes when I'm really really wasted, but only if people offer me cigs. I would never buy them...and I'm going to stop it all together cos it's not pleasant.

Cant stand it when I'm sober...

Really glad they banned it in pubs too.

16. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I've been smoking for at least 30 years +. I don't know why I started and don't know when I'll quit. I don't like reformed smokers, they're worse than non smokers. I'll quit when I want to not because someone tries to nag me into it.

17. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    What, do you live in an old folks home or something?

I've smoked for over 10 years, i will quit eventually, hopefully before i'm 30. For anyone that is just starting (someone said 6 - 7 months!), stop now before it's too late. It's not called a habit just because it's addictive physically, it's the whole package, the buying of cigarettes and routine of smoking.

With the smoking bans and all the awareness now, i doubt if i would have started these days.

18. BattleStar

BattleStar Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512
    This is strange, every smoker feels attacked and unjustly treated when someone tells them to put out the cigarette. Why don't they try to see it from the other side? i mean how fun is it when suddenly you get that stinking smoke showed up in your face and when you try to tell the smoker to not smoke here he/she gets angry. And worse if you have an allergy or asthma you get very sick from the smoke.

19. Logic Zero

Logic Zero Guest

GPU:
    5870 1GB @ 1000/1300
    Just wanna say well done mate. :) And to all others that quit!

20. RanCor TDO

RanCor TDO Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1080 GameRock
    I started smoking in 2001, smoked about 10 a day at first.

Gradually moved upto 20 a day over time.

Quit in June this year due to me losing my job and not having the money.

2 weeks of patches and i've never looked back.

I don't mind people smoking around me.