Smart Card Logon

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by cockneysean, Dec 4, 2009.

1. cockneysean

cockneysean Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295 XXX Edition
    Hi guys,

I have bought myself a smart card reader and two smart cards of different types.

I bought a Gemalto CV4 card and a JCOP 31 card also. Now.... I thought it would be quite a simple matter to get smat card logon working in windows, but i can't for the life of me even work out where to start with this.

Can anyone help me out by pointing me in the right direction? Has anyone got any experience of using smart cards with their system? I would be very interested to know as I am keen to get this set up so that my system can take full advantage of the level of security that smart cards bring. If I can get it working that is lol.

TIA for your replies.

2. cockneysean

cockneysean Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295 XXX Edition
    LOL I see by the looks of the lack of replies everyone has about as much of an idea as me lol.

I really don't get it. I thought that it would be a simple task but I can't even find any options related to smart cards within the windblows control panel area.

If I even just knew where to start off it would be great. The only info I have managed to find this far is to do it my configuring a Windows Server as a domain controller, but that is for multiple machines. All I want is a single user logon system. Although it would be interesting to set up an old laptop as a server with domain controller, but that's a bit overkill lol. I may do that later as a wee project but I really would like to work out how to get this going.

I am open to any solution, whether it be a solution that is already built into windows (apart from active directory/domain controller) or a third party application.

I found something called Abylon Logon, but it doesn't seem to work. It could be a problem with Vista. What happens is that you try to create a user with the software, and the card reader lights up but it just comes up with a failure message :(

I await and welcome your input.

TIA <3

3. cockneysean

cockneysean Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295 XXX Edition
    I'm still stuck.......

4. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -