Small hack could improve Cyberpunk 2077 perf for gamers on certain AMD processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700XT Raw II
    No way in hell, with it being 2020, Ryzen 3 years on the market we should have to do this.

Witcher 3 was broken asf for AMD gpus because of Nvidia Gimpworks.
    CD makes great games but this is 2 triple A titles in a row with inexcusable issues om AMD not AMD fault.

Undying likes this.
  2. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 2070 aurus
    in both cases I started from the same point (save) following the same route

3. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 2070 aurus
    "hundreds" of bioses and agesa's.

It is true that in the case of Amd all these upgrades brought better performance to the processors on the other hand Intel brought a reduction in performance to be able to patch up the security problems it is facing. ;):p:D:)

Fox2232 likes this.
  4. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Hilbert possible to do some benchs with the fix ? 5600X/3600X/3300X/1600/2600 seems to suffer most.

5. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    ESO, Total War series until TWW2 and several other games pre-2017 run on the last "non-core thread". (hard coded)
    However due to the windows scheduler on pre-Zen2 AMD CPUs, few services were always pushed to the last "core thread".

Having the situation that the last core was heavily loaded from the game and the windows and was killing performance.
    Removing SMT on those games, the issue was fixed as windows saw the "last thread" loaded by the game and pushed irrelevant workloads to different threads.

All these are bypassed by AMD forcing preferred cores option on Zen 2. (And all users should make sure have activated in BIOS both CPPC and CPPC Prefered cores options as is by default off on almost all motherboards).

Similar issue we see with Vega56/64/Radeon VII on those games (especially ESO). Need to make custom game profile and set the P7 state as the minimum. Otherwise the FPS tanks to 20-25 while the GPU operates at 500Mhz with 20% load. With P7 minimum, the GPU operates as normal, FPS skyrockets to max set speed and the GPU clock works at optimal speeds for 100% load. (It doesn't work at maxed out speed).

kanenas likes this.
  6. cognito27

cognito27 New Member

GPU:
    rtx3080
    Worked wonders for my 3700x with rtx3080. raised max fps with almost 15 fps running most settings on high/ultra and raytraced reflections in 1440p get 60-70 fps outside Vs apartment

Fediuld likes this.
  7. Freitlein

Freitlein Member

GPU:
    VII
    If all of the not overpriced Vermeer CPUs available are gathering dust from advertisers, we don't really have much of such insight.

8. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Fine but one run is ~350 seconds, the other run is ~550 seconds. This is from your own post made on the previous page. Those are not the same runs, so the end framerates that you have shown could mean anything, or nothing...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  9. Knightshade

Knightshade New Member

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    I upgraded (on a 1060gt) my fx8350 to a ryzen 5 3600
    i saw a 1 fps increase.

This ryzen is 3 times faster in cinebench, 2-3 times faster in very, many games.
    1080p ultra 26fps

Dual Universe on the other hand, saw a 100% performance boost.
    lazy, lazy, coding.

1.05, tried the hack but the string has changed and can't be found through search

10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    Still use the hack with 1.05 as it does not do anything to 5950X, however with the hack there is a small increase in performance so CDRP were wrong that it does not affect 16C cpus.

11. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    maybe you should buy 5950x and expect 1060 to give some ~50% more frames per second

12. fleggy

fleggy Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 3090 Gaming OC
    I did a quick test on x570, 5800X, RTX 3090, Ultra RT, 2560 x 1440, DLSS Quality, version 1.05. This hack gives me less fps.

13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    If the game is limited to 8 threads being utilized effectively, it would explain why the 6 core cpu benefits but the 8+ core cpus do not, since increasing the thread count will likely decrease the maximum boost frequency, since the load will be spread across all hw threads.