SMAA method!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by amine4ever, Apr 10, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
  2. amine4ever

amine4ever Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290X
    well i'll stick to the classic smaa x1. it's better than nothing.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX6800XT G.XT.
    I didn't know you could set values over the range too... *goes testing*

It's because both SMAA and FXAA are post-processing methods (=done by the GPUs pixel shader). Meaning the entire image on screen is processed which often results to blurry text, find it annoying myself.

Try what's suggested above, set SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING to 0 (higher values have little impact on AA quality anyway IMO).
    Also Lumasharpen may help counter the blurriness a bit.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    This was the one big annoyance with 290. MLAA is garbage and injected post-process AA's aren't really that great since they all are pretty outdated (the publicly available versions). Luckily NVIDIA's driver FXAA is much, much better than any FXAA in any game though (I wonder if they keep improving it...). I also think it's better than SMAA 1X. SMAA's problem is that it has hard time with specular aliasing. SMAA is great for diagonals but luckily the driver FXAA is much better in those situations than the FXAA everyone uses.

Driver FXAA in Rise of the Tomb Raider (they somehow managed to make SMAA look really bad too, driver FXAA is superior to it):
    [​IMG]
    It looks really good, much better than the in-game FXAA. Annoyingly the only way to capture it even semi-user friendly is to run the game in borderless mode (which I always do though) and use Windows' build it screenshot function (win+print screen).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016

5. Seren

Seren Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    Yes, ofc... Doesn't effect it.
    I did however change to these settings: http://i.imgur.com/SX8F4JB.jpg which made it not so visible but with that low strength, what's the point?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  6. amine4ever

amine4ever Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290X
    No, just push it to the max and keep #define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING to 0.
    also i should mention that the result may vary from game settings to another.
    if the game has an internal smaa or fxaa, adding another postfx AA can make the result worse. also try on different game different settings like enabling/desabling ingame AA, fullscreen/windowed...
    each game have different result with smaa solution. so you have to make a custom setting for every game.