Sluggish performance in vista 64bit

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by matty_111, Feb 19, 2008.

1. matty_111

matty_111 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 275
    hey guys,
    does anyone who is currently running Vista 64bit have performance issues?
    just curious cause my pc isnt really responsive in vista in terms of performance, especially when im multitasking. ie, the other day i jumped on pc, took forever to load up wmp then realised norton was doin some disc check thing, then it was taking forever to switch b/w explorer & other programs..
    when its in a game its fine, it just seems to take a while to load stuff up in general. havnt tried xp on this yet however my old rig was approx as fast when running xp!

plus it chews up all the memory, was thinking of getting more but atm its $519/2gb so id prefer to wait till it lowers..

2. surrealX

surrealX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Vista is a memory hog. Best to just use XP for now unless you're getting another 2gigs.

3. gunman127

gunman127 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti 6GB 960 2GB
    Norton = Crap

Get a proper antivirus like Avira, and your PC will be much faster, and much more secure!

4. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    plus it chews up all the memory, was thinking of getting more but atm its $519/2gb so id prefer to wait till it lowers..

2gb is more like 50 bucks lol

5. surrealX

surrealX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Hes using the P5E3 so its only DDR3

6. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    if you ask me, that was a kinda dumb move... but i guess if one has the money to spend. but even then it's still a reasonably odd move. not really any benefit of DDR3 over DDR2 at the moment, but there's a nice big plus for DDR2 over DDR3. can get 8GB of DDR2 800 for quite a bit less than any form of 2GB DDR3.

7. matty_111

matty_111 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 275
    the reason to why i went with ddr3 is simply because im not planning on buying another m/b anytime soon although i am aware that there is barely any performance gain over using ddr3 atm however as time progresses & the latencies lower it will take over as ddr2 took over from ddr1. It basically saves me from buying another m/b that supports ddr3 & having basically no use for my old m/b.

yeah i agree surrealx, vista chews up the memory something chronic.. ive got an avg of 40mg free with wmp,btorrent&explorer open so i think its pretty much the lack of memory thats causing this weird performance, think i might need to invest in some extra mem..

8. Eat The Rich

Eat The Rich Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX OC2 626/2000
    Vista Ultimate x64 is the fastest and most stable OS I've ever used (no, I'm not being sarcastic either!) -- I've not had any problems with it, still can't believe how quick everything is :)

Vista uses memory different from XP -- just because it says it's being used in task manager doesn't mean it's not 'free' - Vista will release this to any programmes when it needs them. Have a search on how Vista uses RAM, it's quite different from XP :)

Nothing wrong with another 2GB though :p

9. so you prefer paying $1000 for 4gb of ddr3 just to save you the money and trouble of buying another motherboard later? that doesn't sound very good to me.

10. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    Once again Eat The Rich and I have the same view. I love Vista Ultimate 64. It was great on my e6600 and 3GB of ram. Now it is fantatsic on my q6600 and 8GB. The main thing you need with vista is Ram. I have home basic on an old P4 2.8 and it runs great with 2GB(it is just for office and for my kids) but it does run alot better with 3GB. My suggestion is to get some more ram. I know you have DDR3 and that it is expensive, but that is where you will see the most differrence. If at all possible depending on your MB get some DDR2. I just got 8GB DDR2 800 for 200 US. 140 if you count the rebates.

11. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Sounds like you've got stuff running that you don't know about.

When you have a lot of programs open, your RAM will get full. That is how a computer works. When you run a program, it gets loaded into RAM.

Plus if "norton was doin some disc check thing" Which I assume means virus scan, then yes your performance will drop, because its using a lot of cpu, a lot of RAM, and its reading every bit od data on your hard drive.

l2yoozCompewtorz!!

12. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    My 64-bit is fine.

13. Unit77

Unit77 New Member

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 9600 GT
    I love XP...ha ha

14. scottyg2

scottyg2 Master Guru

GPU:
    hd4850 cf
    :spam:

nice constructive first post you have there.

and in response to the thread:
    vista 64 ran fine with 2gigs for me.
    yes, it is faster with 4, but it wasnt sluggish at all.
    It does sound like you do have to much running at once though.

15. bobdude

bobdude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    get 4gigs you can get a 4gig kit for 120 now dump the ddr3 its worthless anyways

16. demon148

demon148 Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 512mb 8800GT
    I have had no issues with Vista x64, it runs better than my x86 vista.

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    bobdude: he'd have to buy another motherboard for that. the one he has only supports DDR3.

Matty: i hate to say it, but it's basically as AllShallPerish said. you paid $519 for 2GB of DDR3 and probably $250-ish on the motherboard.... when if you really felt like running DDR3, you could have still probably upgraded further down the line, possibly for a cheaper price once DDR3's prices drop drastically.... all because you didn't want to buy a new motherboard later on?

18. Darkfall

Darkfall Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800GTS OC 640MB
    I love Vista x64 with 4GB RAM...he he

19. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I had the same problem with Vista x64 with multitasking. On XP i can format my other partition, while copying 10GB of files from another partition to my primary one while also playing games like BF2142, Sins of a Solar Empire or CS:S with music in the background, and it responds fine. If i did the same in Vista, my PC would be so much more sluggish, and load times would be rediculous. And no, im not a biased XP user, i actually like Vista, but i find XP (with SP3) to be so much more faster, and stable, which is why i returend to XP.

20. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 ULTR/HYBR
    With vista 64 you definately need 4 gigs of ram. I'd get rid of Norton and get Avast or AVG, both are free. Do all of your virus scans manually. Nothing auto. That goes for windows updates or any updates. Run a virus scan or defrag while you eat supper, mow the lawn or something.

Check out this website for which services you need or don't need. It's a good one:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

I see you are running ddr3. Yes it is expensive but you don't buy an RV or speedboat if you are worried about the price of gas.:)