Slow SSD write speed

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by amymor, Aug 2, 2022.

1. amymor

amymor Member

GPU:
    my spec is:
    MSI H310m Gaming plus
    [​IMG]

Intel Core i3 8100

Gskill ripjaws 8GB 2400Mhz cl15 RAM
    [​IMG]

MSI GTX 1060

450W rated Hontkey PSU

3 storage:
    1TB HDD WD Blue 7200 RPM

128GB NVMe m.2 SSD (Adata XPG SX6000LNP)
    [​IMG]

120GB sata SSD (Hikvision HS-SSD-C100 120G)
    [​IMG]

yesterday i checked my two SSD with CrystalDiskMark and found that sata ssd write speed is about 20% of the speed specified by the manufacturer and nvme ssd is about 50%. after that i booted into winPE and tried with many benchmark tools but always same result.
    nvme:
    [​IMG]

sata ssd vs hdd:
    [​IMG]

as you see my HDD seq write speed is better than sata ssd. does it normal?
    also i installed userbenchmark tool and after whole system benchmark i noticed my sata ssd has a bad rating:
    [​IMG]
    as you see my nvme has good rating in userbenchmark, but i guess still 400-600mb write speed is slow for nvme, right?

things i tried before:
    1. manually TRIM
    2. deleting whole partition and creating new fresh partition
    3. changing power plan to high performance
    4. AHCI mode is already enabled
    5. Partition alignment is already applied
    6. checking ssds health (in CrystalDiskInfo sata ssd is 86% and nvme is 100%)
    7. latest firmware already installed for nvme ( But for hikvision sata ssd it seems that the HikStorageSetup download link is broken: http://en.hikstorage.com/Question/DownLoadCenter?categoryId=d3687913-9bf5-409e-a1d4-2156e1103ebe )

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  2. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    It seem your I3 8100 is too weak to fully drive the nvme ssd and your gtx 1060 fully.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @amymor
    NVMe disks require heatsink to sustain high write speeds, as I take it.

4. Boot into a Linux LiveUSB (Ubuntu is fine), and use Disk Utility to do a quick benchmark on the SSD. I don't know if you can do a write test non-destructively and it should warn you about that, but you can do a read and latency test no problem.

If the issue isn't anything more common, I suspect this could have to do with how many PCI lanes are assigned to the NVMe controller, or that it's going through your chipset's PCI lanes and getting slowed down somewhere vs the CPU lanes (not sure if this affects speed that much or if it's applicable to that platform).

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The Adata XPG SX6000 is a cacheless PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe drive.... Being used in a slot that only supports PCIe 2.0 x4 is going to slow it down by quite a bit, as will the relatively slow RAM, since it has to use RAM as a cache.
    If you want the best performance from the NVMe drive, you're doing to need something better than an i3 8100 and H310 chipset and DDR4-2400....

As for the SATA SSD..... You bought a knock-off SSD... Most of the knock-off SSDs have abysmal performance. A lot of them are little more than flash drives in a cheap 2.5" enclosure.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  6. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    1 lane PCIe 2.0 is about 500MB/s. The SSD is able to do R1800/W1500 (see his screenshot), so no worries. PCIe 3.0 x2 would be worse.

I would look into event viewer for errors. I guess the ADATA SSD has gone nuts. Had this happen two times with ADATA SSDs before, I avoid them like the devil avoids holy water.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The sequential read/write specs for his NVMe drive are 1800MB/s read, 1200MB/s write, maximum. Being a cacheless drive, the write speed is going to be affected by the rest of the system as the RAM functions as a write-cache for the SSD.
    I've got 4 ADATA SSDs and haven't had an issue with any of them.

386SX likes this.
  8. amymor

amymor Member

GPU:
    thank you for your response, i noticed that nmve works fine because datasheet says that write speed is 600MB/s for 128GB SSDs.( the 1200MB/s is maximum that means only guaranteed for 1TB SSDs).

but what about SATA SSD? im gonna install windows on it for some reason, is it still better than my 7200 RPM hard drive?

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    install os on proper Sata SSD

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    amymor likes this.
  10. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    The difference is vast!

amymor likes this.

11. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    When you test that nvme disk with Crystal mark did you go to settings and check NVMe SSD?

amymor likes this.
  12. amymor

amymor Member

GPU:
    no, but as i said i found that NVMe SSD works fine according to Adata datasheet (600MB/s write speed). anyway thanks for your reply.

thank you all for your response, i guess @sykozis is right, the SATA SSD seems broken, but still better than nothing.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not necessarily broken, but not exactly what it's represented to be. Personally, I'd pick up a proper SSD from a reputable brand like Crucial or Samsung....

amymor likes this.
  14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    There are more important components to replace, like that huntkey PSU.
    Borderline dangerous to have in any system.

amymor likes this.
  15. Future

Future Guest

GPU:
    RX 580 8Gb
    Have you tried to make backup, secure erase SSD and then restore it?