Slow performance on x850XT PE AGP

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by snowbawl, May 25, 2005.

1. snowbawl

snowbawl New Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 XTPE
    Straight to the point. I recently removed my 9800 Pro from my rig for an ATI manufacture x850xtpe. Games didnt seem to be running quite as fast as I had hoped so I tried the CS:S Stress Test and ended up with results no higher than 89fps. No matter how high or low I made the settings, it wouldnt go over 89fps. I knew this wasnt right, I should be getting like 150 fps on my rig. I tried cl_showfps 1 and saw that my frame rate barely ever went over 60fps until the very end. It stayed locked in the 50s for the most part. I got a 3d Mark 03 score of 11700. Doom 3 runs on high without a hitch, Far Cry seems to be a lil sluggish, Halo never stutters, and Deus Ex 2 is fairly smooth. I have all the latest drivers, and theres no way its my system. My rig is pretty much top of the line. P4 3.2 ghz OC'd to 3.5ghz, 2x512 pc3200 ddr ram, x850xtpe, 1 WD 60 gig 7200rpm (windows drive), 1 WD 120 gig 7200 rpm drive (steam installed). Asus mobo 800mhz fsb, 420w Thermaltake PSU. I really hope someone knows whats wrong, because this is driving me nuts.

2. Inego

Inego Active Member

GPU:
    POV GeForce 8800GTS 512MB G92
    Hight End, TOP video accelerators such like yours 850XT PE are very powerfull and requires also a powerfull CPU, on non fast CPU's results always was poor ir we compare TOP video card with main stream on mainstream CPU.
    I dont think that 3.5 GHz is enought for 850XT PE

Last edited: May 25, 2005
  3. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS x850 XT PE VIVO PCI-Express
    Actually 3.2 Ghz is fine. I'm guessing that you receive the same frame rates whenever you have settings on high or settings on low? If so, it sounds like a vsync issue, although 89 fps sounds a little high to be a vsync issue (unless you are running a 90Hz refresh rate). Just make sure vsync is off in both your ATI settings and in game.

4. snowbawl

snowbawl New Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 XTPE
    Its not vsync, it was one of the first things I checked. Its off.
    Also is it very strange my Overdrive settings arent showing up at all? They are just black boxes.
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: Could it be that my power supply isnt good enough? Its not the greatest PSU.

5. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
    Could be, I was told when I got my card (not a PE) that a 450w PSU recommended ------------------(MY RIG)--------------------)))))))}}}}}}

6. snowbawl

snowbawl New Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 XTPE
    I was hoping someone would say that. A psu is the least of my worries. *crosses fingers*
    Found one problem, but it made little to no difference. My AGP apeture size in the bios was set to 128mb. Oddly, I still have the same problems....

7. soso

soso Guest

HI

Have to admit my expereince to date with an X800XT PE has not nearly been what I was assuming.
    Kept reading reviews with statements such as "took anything I threw at it....", "...can run anything out rght now and run like warm knife through butter...". Et, et...
    Well...yeah. OK.

With clean install of Windows, latest drivers, little or nothing running in background, no spyware, adware or viruses, every tweak, twist and trick in the book.

Poor and inconsistent performnce on HL2 (one of the "run it at highest details and runs like greased lightening" X800XT reviews) getting swings in FPS from 60-70 to 20-something in a flash, same with SWAT4, Joint Ops....basically all the games I was looking forward to playing with the "blistering, incredible and amazing" performance at least talked about in reviews.....Should have stayed with my MSI 9800 pro until next generation release.

Well, anyway. Not a bitch fest, just saw your post and I am having similar expereince with the card.

Not a noob to the hardware world and pretty knowledgeable

8. snowbawl

snowbawl New Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 XTPE
    I even know someone with a 6800 who has the same problem as me. If I find out its not the power supply I'll send the card to ATI.

9. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    You do all realize that low HL2 and CS:S framerates are NOT due to your hardware, right? The game's just ****ed... check out Steam forums and you'll see what I mean.

My hardware is WAY slower than yours and I run CS:S with a steady 70+fps...

The game engine is just suffering from ****ty programming.

10. snowbawl

snowbawl New Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 XTPE
    I think it is my hardware b/c I get slow speeds on everything. My aquamark score was only 56700. It should be around 70000.

11. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    Sounds like you need to tweak your system abit,get the rad to work in performance mode when benching.

12. snowbawl

snowbawl New Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 XTPE
    Considering the current situation, is it possible there is something wrong with the video card itself, or is it an outside factor? I'd be ready to get a new PSU and mobo if neccisary.

13. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    It does now maybe come down to mobo or psu not giving enough juice,p4 cpu's use a lot of power,if you can test it with a friends psu and mobo,you can instantly tell wether or not it comes down to your psu.
    I would think you would need at least a 450w psu.

14. snowbawl

snowbawl New Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 XTPE
    I'll pick up a new psu in the next few days and see if it makes any difference.

15. snowbawl

snowbawl New Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 XTPE
    New PSU didnt do jack, gonna RMA the card.