1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Network with Intel

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by sovietdoc, Dec 6, 2011.

1. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I have a built-in Intel 82579V chip in my UD3 and it's driving me crazy.

My old socket 1155 board had a Realtek 8111E chip and that was flawless.

This intel chip is giving me 300kb/s internet speed and 1.2mb/s network transfer speed over my GIGABIT network.

I've tried all the drivers for it 16.6 and 16.7, turned off ALL TCP/Power/Offloading technologies and it is still won't go past 1.5 mb/s network speed.

Cables/Router etc is good. Pop my old board in with Realtek 8111E chip = less internet lag, full 6mb/s internet download speed, over 60mb/s file transfer speed on LAN.

Has anyone had any experience with 82579V chips? I think it's a driver issue but I am surprised nobody has posted about it. I can't find anything useful on google either.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1660Ti
    I'm using an Intel 82574LM.....so not sure if this will work for you at all.

All I can really recommend, if you have the settings available...

Advanced Tab: (need to select "performance options" from the settings box and click "properties")
    Adapter Inter-Frame Spacing: Enabled
    Interrupt Moderation Rate: Adaptive
    Link Speed Tab:
    Speed and Duplex: 1.0Gbp/s Full Duplex

oh yeah, return all other settings to defaults first.

Just out of curiousity, what router are you using?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  3. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'll try that, thx.

My router is a D-Link DIR-655

Funny thing is: I installed a 82579LM driver instead of 82579V, and it raised my speed to 700kb/s on the internet. Went back to 82579V and it dropped back to 300kb/s. This is with everything turned off in the advanced tab.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  4. crimsonpc

crimsonpc Member

GPU:
    HD 6950 2GB unlocked
    That sounds like either of these, in this order:

1. Bad speed/duplex negotiation. Check for errors, then force speed/duplex;
    2. Driver issue, but you already checked that;
    3. Bad chip.

Hopefully it's number 1.

5. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I've tried everything suggested above and it still doesn't work. It starts downloads at 500kb/s and then slowly goes down to 300 where it stays jumping from 300 to 400 and 500 back to 300. My Realtek 8111E starts at 6 megs and slowly goes down to 2.7-3.4 depending on download site, and stays at that speed solid.

It seems like the driver or the network card is optimizing the bandwidth or something, but it's ruining my network.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1660Ti
    your network chip is a variation of the one used on my dedicated NIC.....since the performance didn't change, it may be the integrated nic failing =\

7. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I've updated the driver to latest 16.7 and I get 20% packet loss and 200kb/s lan speed.

I am buying a NIC now. Too bad you pay almost 300$ for a motherboard and it has only 1 nic that is broken =/

8. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    So based on what people say Intel NICs are the shiznit? Funny because the one I am currently running is Intel, but meh. Separate NICs have different chipset than this onboard so it shouldn't matter.

Also a separate NIC should reduce CPU utilization right? My current broken nic is taking 11% by itself and I think that's ridiculous.

9. Mad|DriveR

Mad|DriveR Banned

GPU:
    Nvidia 570GTX
  10. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    yup, i think the nic is just defective

11. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    gettin' whooping 6mb/s off adobe.com with this new Intel NIC. Yeah, I guess on-board was just bad.

12. gamez0rino

gamez0rino New Member

GPU:
    HIS 6870 512 MB
    Hi there, had the same issue as you but a BIOS update to F7 will fix it!!!! I suggest you do it ASAP! there have been issues of the board blowing up before F7 update!

13. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    alright, i'll try F7, but i got a Intel NIC now, it owns.

14. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    There is actually few things to this.

First of Intel NIC actually has issues with Firewall Package filters, for example, if you run an Comodo newest 6.x firewall your offloads will disable
    clean off. Using 5.5 firewall or no firewall does not cause this behavior, so, leads me to believe there is, atm, issue on current windows updates or how
    network/firewall filter drivers work.

You can test this by opening properties of your Network Adapter and disabling the check from firewall filter driver and see, if you can re-enable
    offloading and you have to do this in slow fashion as in install ONLY the intel drivers not their control scripts for NIC device -> disable the NIC -> change
    the options from device manager -> re-enable NIC and see if that works.

Pre-caution:
    * Updated MEI Firmware (me_firmware_1336) -> MEI driver ONLY v8.1.30.1349 (I suggest don't install other Intel crappy progs)
    * Patched / non-patched Intel 82579V Adapter (according to the 82579V intel firmware patch it didn't patch anything)
    * Drivers (any from 16.5.0.0 -> 18.0.0.0 seems to work).
    * Windows updates up to 16.2.2013
    * BIOS updated (ASUS Board 3603)

Notations:
    * There could be issue deltatux mentioned somewhere at forums about cable selection, however, I tested cat 5/6 cables with no difference. Either way I
    am using as deltatux suggested generally cat 6 cables and advices above are accordingly to that.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  15. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 980/290X
    I have found Intel NICs to be the most finicky, simple things like changing the Ethernet cable can fix problems like your having; testing to see if the router and NIC just don't like each other, bypass the router and plug straight into your modem.

As someone else suggested a BIOS updated to the mobo may also fix it.