Slow extraction time with my I5 3570

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bobesko, Dec 26, 2012.

1. bobesko

bobesko Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 6790 1GB
    When I try to extract large archives of data, like a full hd movie, it takes up to 30 minutes to extract a 15 gb archive. Is it normal with my relatively fast cpu or may something be wrong. I also have 8 gb 1600mhz ram, and my hdd is 500gb sata II 7200rpm WD, Os is W7 64.

Edit: It was simple, just forgot to defragment my Hdd. Now its 10 minutes :)

Edit 2: I have another archive which I wanted to extract after previous defragmentation but its slow as hell again. So I ran defragmentation one more time and its fast again. So I dont know now. I think I have two choices, either run defrag before each extraction of a large archive or dont run it and the extraction will be extremely slow. Am I missing something here or Am I doing something way too wrong. Or only buying an ssd could solve this problem?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You need to do a free space defrag with something better than the Microsoft Defrag. When you defrag, you defrag the data, there still could be large amounts of free space gaps. When you decompress the archive, it fills in these gaps, and this process slows down writing and reading. The reason why it's faster after a defrag is because the gaps have data in them (or recognised by the algorithm as recently used blocks) and are defragmented, but only the spaces utilised by the uncompressing process.