Slow crappy new computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by rebirthofham, Apr 30, 2005.

1. rebirthofham

rebirthofham Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 oc 400/875
    I have a
    MSI neo2 plat mobo
    amd64 3000+ 939
    1 gig geil ram
    nvidia 6800
    samsung 80 gig SATA.

well, i used to have a amd64 2800+ and it seems that it was faster than my 3000.

When i open programs or websites, everything loads soooooo slowly. Everything is so much slower.

What programs can i use to test if my motherboard and cpu are working correctly?

2. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    New cpu overclocked same as old one? The 3000+ is only 1.8ghz.

Clean install of windows?

Full security updates done?

Antivirus/antispyware software in use?

3. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    hi

I use Sandra to check all manner of my PCs components.....it's got lots of benchmarks so you can compare the performance of your PC against the pre-installed ones and see if you're losing out in any areas......it also checks your whole system and recommends any changes......

You can download from this site.....not sure if this helps or not.

Good luck!

4. almighty

almighty Banned

GPU:
    ASUS EN6800 Ultra X2
    Hope you still have your old better computer
    SPEED is power
    Newer and slower doesn,t mean better and faster

5. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    first make sure you have a new copy of windows in with a full reformat of the drive.

Second, Service Pack 2 has more bugs and causes more damage than good, so just stick with Service Pack 1a. SP2 will actually tend to cause everything to slow down from my experiences too, even when running correctly.

Next, make sure you don't have a ton of crap running in the background, alot of time that can contribute.

Don't use NORTON ANTI-VIRUS, that will slow your computer down like it is doing the mambo in extra slow-mo. Norton sucks, find something better that doesn't hog up system resources like a pig.

Make sure you don't have virus/ad-ware on your computer as that will slow it down. But if you re-install windows these problems shouldn't be there.

Make sure you have all the drivers for your computer installed and up-to-date.

Last, use Firefox, not IE!

And check to make sure your internet is running as well as it used to be, as they might just be doing work on your lines.

6. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    I TOTALLY disagree about Sp2. I have never had one single issue from it and we have installed it on every new pc since it was released.

7. benktlottie

benktlottie Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7800GT (480/1200)
    SP2 works fine for me aswell...in actual fact, in real world apps, its slightly faster ! Check that you Virtual memory is set to 1.5x physical RAM, and maybe update your graphics drivers. If everthing else that has been suggested fails to improve, looks like a reinstall of Windows mate.

8. rebirthofham

rebirthofham Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 oc 400/875
    Ok. NO spyware or virus's are running.

There aren't too many programs running in the background.

I will try the reformat. Goddamn i hate reformatting.

9. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
  10. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    Usually re-formatting and installing windows will fix all the problems you end up having.

As for SP2, it depends on your hardware and what not also. I have wayy too many problems with it on alot of systems so I just put SP1 on, use AVG Virus scanner, and Firefox. Using that pretty much ensures me that i have a well running PC.

11. jose antonio

jose antonio Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 4870 800/1000
    I agree with Jw_Leonhart. I use all the combo you mentioned: SP1, AVG, Firefox... Plus Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D... SP2 simply slowed down all the games. I just suggest installing SP1 and the critical updates and you'll be fine... And avoid Norton a huge resource hog...

12. Skotos

Skotos Guest

opposite for me

sp2 is much BETTER then sp1 for me

13. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    Well like i said before SP2 has slowed down almost every system I have ever built, the only thing SP2 hasn't corrupted was my laptop, and it's a PIII 700MHz, so who knows. I have too many problems with SP2 so i'll just stick with good old SP1a.

14. Sonicpanda

Sonicpanda Member

GPU:
    Leadtek GF 6800 GT @ 410/1120
    I think we have pretty much the same computer. I have some suggestions for you, may be you donot know about them yet.

First, choose dimm 1 and 2 for the rams. These dimms are the nearest green and purple dimms to your cpu.(donot use green-green or purple-purple, it should be green and purple)

Secondly, I see that you are using sata hdd. Use sata 3-4 instead of 1-2. These satas are the nearest satas again to your cpu.

I hope these will solve your problems.

15. death__machine

death__machine Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 270X TOXIC 2GBx2
    well if the hardware and benchmarking and stuff doesnt work you should install fresh copy of windows
    installing a fresh copy doesnt delete programs and stuff it just uninstalls them
    eg. i had farcry when i installed fresh copy far cry was deleted from the list in the add/remove progs but in the hd the game was present nad i could play it by double clicking on the farcry exe file(i have crack)it also boosted performance
    best of luck ;)
    Pankaj Dhano Karamchandani
    aka DeAtH MaCHInE

16. reddas

reddas Guest

i found installing SP2 over a pre existing SP1 installation a buggy affair, so i made a slipstreamed win xp + sp2 disc and neva looked back. SP2 is as a secure operating enviroment that your gunna get from Microsoft for a while. (but its no where near perfect) if every one uses it and enables the built in firewall there will probally be a lot less problems online than before.

17. yaleblor

yaleblor Master Guru

GPU:
    770gtx 2gb
    you might need to update the bios,i set up a clawhammer with an asus mother board for a friend awhile back . apparently there are issues with winxp and amd64's with some chipset drivers. if i remember correctly you have to use specific drivers .theres is (at least was) a write up on what chipset/cpu combos were affected on the xp home page,you might also want to check the msi support forums to get the most out of your system

18. hartofalyon

hartofalyon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    seeing that you've not only changed your cpu but mobo as well, a reformat is always better. even if the chipset is the same, it's better to reformat/reinstall winxp. sometimes just swapping hdd works when changing mobo's, but other times, it could cause problems.

i'm using slipstreamed sp2. no problems here. i don't notice it being slower or faster than sp1a.