slow 9800 np

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by 1337-5UP3R, Sep 15, 2003.

1. 1337-5UP3R

1337-5UP3R Guest

hi i just completed in building my new pc and i dl'ed 3dmark 2001 se right away to test my GPU. i was pretty impressed at what i was seeing, but my score is a little low compared to other people's. i got a score of 12125 with the defult settings. sure this score is a major step up from my dismal 2530 score on my olf GF2 MX400, but it's just a little slow. i looked at the other thread about how to make the 9800 np run like the 9800pro, but i'm unsure of which mem i have on my ATI Sapphire 9800 np 128mb ram (bought from newegg for 250 bucks wiht shipping free). the quide said that if you have
    so if you guys could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. V6 Knight

V6 Knight Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire ATi X1950XT 256 PCiE
    your gpu is not slow, i bought the exact same card from new egg mine had the samsung chips in it, i also flashed mine to pro, but as soon as i did, i got artifacts after csing for an 1 or 2 and my computer got really unstable after playing alittle unreal t 2003 and would end up freezing, so i flashed it back and its fine now. so, if you recently bought it like i did then you probably have the same ram chips as me. the flash is a easy process but the artifacting and the computer freezing wasn't much fun and get rather frustrating , so its your call, i would just leave it as non pro, as you wouldn't see significant differance anyways, dont worry about bench mark scores, they dont mean much.

3. bourbon

bourbon Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Raedon 9800 flashed to pro
    It's "UNLESS you have Samsung 2.2ns, 2.8ns, 3.0ns, or 3.3ns do not flash" Just look at one of your memory chips and do a google search on the number it has on it. You probably have the 3.3ns samsung like me and you should flash to pro just fine.

4. V6 Knight

V6 Knight Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire ATi X1950XT 256 PCiE
    can you tell me what one of your mem chips say exactly. i may have the same one as you, i dunno why my card had problems after the flash.

5. 1337-5UP3R

1337-5UP3R Guest

how can you tell which type of ATI 9800 ram that you have? are they those numbers on those little square blocks near the GPU of the 9800? thanks

6. bourbon

bourbon Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Raedon 9800 flashed to pro
    Something like K4D263238E - GC33 It's the last part that is important. Just because you have this memory doesn't mean you're going to have a sucessful flash. See how high you can overclock your memory. Mine hit 330 without artifacts so I knew it was good. Give yours a try.

7. RaZoR_Blade

RaZoR_Blade Guest

pretty low score ... this score matches to TI4200 :S something is wrong ..did u install drivers and everything for AGP ,chipset and configured the BIOS for best perf?

min score in 3dmark 2001 for R9800 NP is 15k with your pc specs ..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2003
  8. 1337-5UP3R

1337-5UP3R Guest

yeah i installed everything corrected, installed the cat 3.4 that came with my 9800, and installed the mobo drivers, but i haven't done any BIOS confiruation and stuff like that. everything is at stcok speed.

9. Akhkaru

Akhkaru Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB WF
    Okay... 1st install the Mobo drivers, then install directx 9, then install catty drivers

10. 1337-5UP3R

1337-5UP3R Guest

ahhh i did the installation of the drivers in a different sequence than what you told me to do. when i 1st got into windows XP, i installed those ATI cat 3.4 drivers that came with my 9800, then those mbo drivers, and then directx 9. does it really matter? should i make BIOS changes in the GPU? i think a score of 12125 is pretty darn low...

11. SniperStumpy

SniperStumpy Guest

How about 3d 2003?

I just picked up a 9800 Pro and got 5166 with 2003, 3.7 cats.
    And 13,300 on 2001. I also tried out Aquamark3 today and hit just shy of 40,000. Not to mention its a bitchin` looking benchmark.:)

12. Dark_4ce

Dark_4ce Guest

I got 32,000 points in Aquamark with my 9800 pro... I'm getting nervous.... How is it that others are geting around 40,000? I've upped the voltage, but could it be because I had a Geforce FX card before? I used detonator destroyer...

13. 1337-5UP3R

1337-5UP3R Guest

i haven't tried using 3dmark 03 yeat becasue it's SOOOO SLOW TO DOWNLOAD. it's taking me 4 hrs to dl it so i decided not to. same thing with aquamark. does anybody have any good reccomendations for me? i benched again and only got like 12235 in 3dmark01. anything you guys can do for me? i haven't oced anything and just installed all the drivers. i have a Sapphire ATI radeon 9800 np with cat 3.4 drivers. fresh from box. i also checked and saw that there are letters "GC33" on the ram chips which means i have 3.3ns ram so i can turn 9800 np to pro right? anyhing i should do before?

14. David Deed

David Deed Don Alfa Terga Inconiti

GPU:
    Geforce 6600
    what are your ram timings?

I had a low score with my radeon 9700 when i got it (13401)

but when I lowered the ram timings, i got it to 14001

i set my timings to 7-2-2-2.5

15. RaZoR_Blade

RaZoR_Blade Guest

i know i know !! try to use 3.7 cats !!! they r the latest release with bug fixes and perf improvments

try it and then tell us

btw what is your AGP setting ? 8x i hope ..

and many ppl mentioned that when u enable fast writes with ATI cards u get perf boost !

good luck ..

16. Wingdings

Wingdings Guest

What mobo drivers? Like the ones we got with our motherboards themselves or new mobo drivers that comes with ATi?! wtf?!

17. RaZoR_Blade

RaZoR_Blade Guest

ATI doesnt manufatore MOBOS lol ..just get a copy from www.ati.com

Catalyist 3.7

and turn on Fast writes..

and yeah u must update your mobo drivers immediatly

18. RaZoR_Blade

RaZoR_Blade Guest

19. 1337-5UP3R

1337-5UP3R Guest

yeah i have agp 8x enabled and fastwrites on when i got my score of 12325 (i benched twice). thanks for the common sense tip, razor blade lol. since i heard a lot of bad talk about all that cat 3.7 stuff, i just sticked with my old cat 3.4 drivers. (i now have cat 3.7 drivers)

my new 3dmark2k1se scores

as you can see, that's a major improvement over my old score. thanks :D. i didn't download those mobo drivers coz no. 1: i don't have a abit mobo. no. 2: that site says "motherboard drivers" so it prolly is for all mobo's, but i don't need intel chipset drivers because i have nForce2.

20. 1337-5UP3R

1337-5UP3R Guest

i just benched with 3dmark 03 and i got a score of 4823. is this any good? my friend with his old comp got a score of 5854 on his 9800 pro. should i flash to pro now?