Slow 83MB/sWrite with advertised 510MB/s Read on New SSD

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by MegaFalloutFan, Dec 15, 2017.

1. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS GTX 1080Ti
    Hi,
    So I got new Transcend SSD370 64GB to be used as Intel SRT cache drive for one of my 6TB HDDs with emulators, it only supports 64GB maximum so that what I got.

On the box it says CrystalDiskMark 500MB/s Read and 460MB/s write.
    I got 510MB/s Read and 83.83MB/S read. Thats with all the windows caching settings enabled, with disabled i get 53MB/s writes, same 500+MB/s reads

Any suggestions? Im thinking of replacing cables
    its z370 gigabyte gaming 7 mobo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  2. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    If there are many little files, SSD will write them much slower than one big file. There is such a thing like the number of input/output operations. Here is your SSD tested with other pcs. Dig in. http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/17734/TS64GSSD370

Also please do a research on caching, how it impacts performance and how it does it. Because you should have been better off with software only on SSD and having much larger SSD. And use HDD for music, movies and stuff.

And I'm sorry to disappoint You, but doing many write operations on the SSD will kill it quick. There is a lifespan on an SSD. How much data you can write to it. People usually turns any caching off on a SSD, to preserve it, except me, because I have beefy life span SSD and actually want to use it.

3. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    AORUS GTX 1080Ti
    The SSD is empty and im doing benchmark on it, thats it. I want to use Intel SRT as cache for 6TB 7200rpm emulator HDD, not my OS, I have 850EVO 250Gb for my os and NVMe MP500 960GB for my steam games.
    I have 2 extra Samsung 840SSDs 120Gb each, that im going to sell, iu cant use them as cache because 840 EVO series SSD need special utility to re-arrange the files otherwise it slows down, it was a known bug, so if I use any of Samsung 840 as cache it will be Invisible for the system and so i wont be able to run Samsung utility on them.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Tiny SSDs need cache enabled to perform good.

But in general, 64gb or so are really slow on write OPS.
    What ports are you using on mobo?

Some can be marvell/other 3rd party.

Make sure you are on intel ports and are using latest AHCI driver 15.9.xx

Edit actually your results are normal.
    Your box specs are incorrect.

The 128gb version is Sequential Write 170MB/s.

The 64gb has half the NAND chips.
    NAND does operations in parallel, which is exactly why you get half the 128gb.

So in short, there is nothing you can do.
    Small drives will always be slower.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    Which OS and which drivers for SATA controllers? Also which mode for SATA controllers in BIOS - AHCI or IDE (legacy)?

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That's the problem with small size cheapo SSDs, it has likely one or two NAND chips, and that means fewer channels to utilize.
    Since the advertised 4K IOPS writes and Sequential writes are advertised at 80MB/sec for the 64GB model, this is your max perf according to the data-sheet. So you seem to be spot on in write performance.

7. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    AORUS GTX 1080Ti
    Yeah its garbage, apparently they lied and the info on the back of the box is for 1Tb version.
    So ill get me 128GB NVMe stick instead

8. zipper

zipper Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Seems you mostly need 256GB to get the full speed.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Keep in mind cacheing works by accessing the same data multiple times. It would be affective if the same data is loaded consistently, but is much less effective if the cache data is updated frequently. It is also potentially damaging to the SSD due to the number of write cycles. Realistically if the cache drive was working effectively, the slow write speed would be inconsequential as there would mostly be reads.

It's more of a marketing thing, however it is beneficial if you don't install your games on your main drive and have them on a mechanical drive, and you play just te one game until its completion then move on to the next. That way the game would be cached on the cache drive and perform better, and the write cycles are minimised. So, what is the workload like in terms of data repeatability?

10. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    AORUS GTX 1080Ti

Intel supports Max-Speed mode and when you copy something it copies to SSD and then later backups to HDD without your intervention, their default mode is Safe-Mode, copying to both HDD+SSD in the same time so the slowest one is the maximum speed.
    Theoretically they should have read only mode, like you described but they dont.
    Im doing all of this just for fun
    look, this is my setup:

Steam: NVMe Corsair MP500 960GB
    Download Kill drive: 1Tb Seagate 7200 (it gets all the writes/reads from torrent,usenet and others, if it dies I dont care)
    Actual Download HDD: Seagate 3TB 7200 (everything automatically copied here after downloaded to the kill drive)
    Archive Drive: Seagate 8Tb Archive (its slow so its used for archive)
    Other games, Emulators, mods and gaming related: 6TB HGST 7200 NAS (I paid a bit more for NAS since they have longer MTBF)

So as you see the extra gaming drive has emulators, so i was thinking it will be fan to try Intel acceleration see how it does, the Write acceleration is immense, its basically like 64GB (maximum allowed) Cache.
    And it should accelerate the reads of emulators I load the most, again 64Gb is a lot, those Seagte hybrid drives with 8Gb cache perform like SSDs after you loaded the same thing 2-3 times, I have one in my ps4pro.
    Current flash prices are cheap and will be cheaper in future, so i wonder why HDD makers wont include 16Gb of flash in all their HDDs as standard, it shouldn't increase the price by more than 5$

So i decided to get a 256GB NMVe, use 64GB partition as cache and whats left for emulators or something.