SLI with cards as fast or faster then GTX580.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by signex, Jun 21, 2011.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD FirePro M6100
    Hi, i need quick advice.

Wich 2 cards perform same or better then GeForce GTX580?

I can't get my hands on a used GTX580.

And i need too order today sinds i have no PC (yea this one but its my parents).

And patience is my worst side :(

2. Water_Hazard

Water_Hazard Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 580 (soon to be 3)
    Anything from GTX 460 or higher.

3. Vositikota

Vositikota Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 SLI
    I'm getting tow GTX 570's, which my only worry will be bottle-necked by their comparatively low VRAM to their counterpart the 6970. The difficulty is determining if you'll get a large enough performance boost to justify the two cards. I've heard that 570s SLI well, but considering your going to pay $200 (?) extra for a second 570 as opposed to a 580, it may not be within your ideal range.

4. Water_Hazard

Water_Hazard Member

GPU:
    what video cards you need depends mostly on the resolution you are running. If you are running 1920x1200 or lower then one 570 would be plenty for 80% of games.

5. Vositikota

Vositikota Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 SLI
    For now, I'm getting the two 570's in a bid for the future. If my paychecks indicate I should rethink that venture, i'll get the 580 and pull for another around Christmas. My goal is to take Battlefield 3, max it out, and be laughing all the while at peak performance.

6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD FirePro M6100
    Dunno if i like crossfire/sli anymore... some games dont support it yet or don't support it at launch.

I think it's a waste of money... But i do think of getting GTX580 and getting an additional later.

I run reso 1080p, still a second card boost the performence even more.

I really need a new cpu too to run two of tho's beast cards.
    Gonna wait till new chip comes out, and sell my whole cinema set (TV+Bluray with speakers) should get me around $900 for PC upgrade.

7. Water_Hazard

Water_Hazard Member

GPU:
    I think a single slightly overclocked 580 would be plenty for 1920x1080 with almost any game. I run at 2560x1600 and a single 580 is plenty for most of my games. I would not buy 2 580's this late unless you can get them for one hell of a deal. For 1920x1080 I would get a used 570 for cheap and use that until the 600 series drops then sell and upgrade.

8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD FirePro M6100
    Don't think BF3 plays smooth on a 570 with everything maxed. Said it before, they ran first bf3 12min singleplayer gameplay on a single 580 and ran amazing. Maybe it wasnt even maxed.
    I want to be 100% sure i can run it very smooth so i go for the 580 first.
    When i sell my stuff i can always get the 600.

9. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Sounds like a smart choice to me. Your system will be very similar mine and I have to say this budget system is very balanced and capable of playing any of my games at a solid 60 frames with maxed settings and decent AA levels.

I got the 580 at release and looking back now it was a wise decision. I’m confident I’ll be sitting out the next cpu\gpu round and will upgrade when there is a reason to... unless that damn upgrade itch gets the better of me again. :3eyes:

I must admit; I’ve never built or upgraded a system in anticipation of a game. I’d wait till it’s released and see where the performance numbers fall; then purchase the hardware that’s required for my desired level of performance\quality.

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I take it your current system specs are not correct. If they are, your processor will seriously degrade the performance of the 570's in SLI and your power supply won't even run a single 570.

11. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD FirePro M6100
    What if i OC the 570 can it perform same as normal 580?

edit: i made up my mind, im going for 2 MSI 560 Ti Twin Frozer II/OC
    performs better then my 6870 in single card performence.

I can also sell them again when BF3 is out if they don't perform well with BF3.
    I hope 1gb vram is enough, asking them on twitter is pointless they wont reply anyway :(

edit2: AAAAW sh#t i noticed the ASUS brand has faster clocks... well that sucks!!!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  12. Vositikota

Vositikota Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 SLI
    My CURRENT System specs are correct, however my new PC is in the process of being purchased, as is visible here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=346284

I Hope that the two 570's will laugh through Battlefield 3. Also, why don't you plan for the future and just buy the good cards now, Signex?

13. ROYCE59

ROYCE59 Member

GPU:
    palit gtx 580 @970 1.1v
    personally id got for the 580 and pickup a 2nd one when prices come down... always go for more so u know u sorted than less to find out you limited to certain things...if older games like crysis gta iv and metro currently eats 1.2 to 1.3 gig vram like nothing @1900X1200...1gig gonna be useless...get a GTX580 1.5 atleast and you on your way u can get a 2nd if you want..than 2 midrange cards and find out it cant pull off the job and need to resell and buy again

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD FirePro M6100
    I already ordered a gtx560ti, refund will take pretty long... Else im without a PC again for a week :(

edit: looks like im stuck with gtx560ti couldnt cancel it anymore :(

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  15. phobus666

phobus666 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ SM P2450h
    What do you say about 590? Would you recommend it over 2x580?

I am asking because 590 it's cheaper solution now then 2x580.

16. Vositikota

Vositikota Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 SLI
    I think you'd be better off with a 580. 590's are geared towards heavy duty 3d modeling for professionals. If like me you're simply looking for heavy duty gaming, I'd go with the flaghip model; the GTX 580.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    590`s are geared towards gamers iifc

18. Schlickfukr

Schlickfukr Banned

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    You must have the 590 confused with Quadro cards. The 590 is currently Nvidia's top Gaming card. Doubt it would perform as well in 3d modeling as a high end Quadro.

19. Vositikota

Vositikota Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 SLI
    OK, but I still don't expect that a 590 could hold a candle to a pair of 580's. The price might be higher, but not much.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The 590 cant be overclocked much, its voltage is locked.
    Overclocked they cant reach the default clock speed of 580s.
    The 580s will clock at least 19% higher.

Stock clock performance of 580 SLI vs 590 here:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/geforce-gtx-580-sli_7.html
    580 SLI is ahead in all situations.
    Sometimes its close but they are only running the CPU at 3.3GHz so are CPU limited at times.