SLI v X850XT PE

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by hse180, Apr 2, 2005.

1. hse180

hse180 Guest

I am in the middle of building a games machine but am stuck on the best possible way of graphics. So far in my build i have, AMD FX-55, Corsair XMS Platinum low latency ram 2x512MB plus the other useual stuff, harddrive etc. But i am stuck for graphics cards and motherboards. I want to know is an SLI n-vidia 2xFX6800GT ultra PCX going to have a sugnificant advantage over a single X850XT PE ATI. I know it's a silly question but it's allways a confusing one. I hope i can get help on solving my problem as i am dying to get the system up and running, Many Thanks to all

2. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    well since 1 6800GT is as fast as a x850xtpe i know the xtpe might have a 10fps advantage on average or what ever but its not somehting u notice at 100+fps. The 6800GT sli will aniahlate the x850xtpe especially in games that make effective use of sli which ive heard since the 75.90's came out ther is over 70games that fully support it.

3. F!shyz0r

F!shyz0r Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6600GT 128MB @ 560 / 1150
    .... not a lot of games are compatible with sli..... its your own choice!! sli is fast but has disadvantages!

4. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    well you can add your own profile to make games that you play work with SLI.
    X850XTPE is freaking fast and quality card. But at the moment nothing that ATI has to offer will beat 6800GT SLI. It simply cant.
    It will be much faster than single X850XT in most of the games and support from NVIDIA on SLI front is improving.

5. hse180

hse180 Guest

so SLI is futureproof? I know these cards are great, my pro runs at 520/590 stable and i know a little about the ATi chip. N-Vidia and SLI is new to me. I did not think there would be a compatability problem with the games.

6. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    Its hard to say if anything is future proof. Technology changes at such a speed.
    X850XT/XTPE is IMHO the best single card solution out there. I would prefer it over 6800U anyday.
    But SLI gives Nvidia an edge for now. The option is there to take into consideration.
    If you want best single card then go for X850XT, if you want best performance and ready to spend on two cards then get 6800GT SLI. It will outperform X850XTPE easily. WIll help greatly if you have monitor that supports 1600x1200. With SLI you will be able to run everything at 1600x1200 with everything maxed and AA and AF enabled without any signs of slowdowns.

7. hse180

hse180 Guest

I have waited and saved for a long time for this build, so for the heck of it i will go for the SLI configaration. Thanks to you all for your advice.

8. penguino

penguino Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 6800 LE 128 MB || 19" LG 915F
    Why do you ask this in the NVIDIA forum? There are way more nvidia than ati fanboys here.

9. hse180

hse180 Guest

I thought that asking in this forum would give me an insight into the NVIDIA side of graphics cards and peoples opinions on them. As i said i am new to them as well as SLI and my options are always open for the best cards.

10. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    Exactly! Im redoing Farcry all over again at 1600x1200 maxed out. I have a very underpowered CPU for the time being and rig still runs smooth as silk.

11. WolfPup

WolfPup Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 OC (12/5) extra pipes don't work.
    they're adding more games to the SLi lineup, and I mention this only because they said certain games wouldn't be able to work with it that now all of a sudden do. Joint Ops: typhoon Rising is the one I remember that NVidia said wouldn't be able to work, but now it's listed in the compatible games listing. apparently they're ironing out things to make them work with more games. This is the only way SLi will survive the next few years.
    I was looking forward to SLi, but when I found out that it didn't work witt all the games I played, and there were even some that wouldn't be playable at all ever, I dropped my SLi rig plans. but now...
    Link to Nvidia SLi compatible games