SLI Problems UT3 @ Crysis

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by CaPtAiN_InSaNo, Jan 25, 2008.

1. CaPtAiN_InSaNo

CaPtAiN_InSaNo Active Member

GPU:
    8800 GTS 640/900
    I dunno if its just software, but this is getting very agrevating. I have an older system, A64 X2 3800@2.5ghz, 1024x2 OCZ PC4000, on DFI NF4 SLI-DR mobo with OCZ 850w GameExtreme(also got for free cause my old 520 died). I had bought an 8800 GTS 640 mb when the 8 series first came out, and recently got another one(it was a present so i didn't pay anything for the second one). Poped it in, reinstalled os with latest forceware drivers and everything. Changed the jumpers on my mobo to sli mode. COD4 runs amazing, i get 50-90 fps on all the missions with all settings max including AA and ANISO. But in UT3 i get horrible performance, especially by portals, it gets really choppy even if its at 40~50 fps it stutters, then when action starts by portals it drops to 30-20 fps range. I see NO imporvement in crysis except for a few parts where it spikes to 50 with all high, but normal play NO difference at all. I have both games pachted to latest. Any ideas? I don't think my CPU could be THAT much of a bottle neck that it would negate addinga second card. I should see some improvement because I do bigtime in COD 4. I also have a second system with Opteron 185, 2gb ram, 8800 GT 512, it runs WAY better and faster than my two GTS sli'd, but according to all the benchies i've seen two GTS's slid are about 25~45% faster than a GTX which is faster than a GT, so something isn't right.

2. faust1200

faust1200 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC
    Regarding COD4 and Crysis what you are describing sounds typical. COD4 runs great on most systems and Crysis runs not so great on most systems. There's a semi-recent patch for Crysis if you don't have it already. Not sure about UT3, I don't play it. SLI is far from a magic bullet which leaves many disappointed. Crysis is definitely a CPU limited game. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  3. PeroTT

PeroTT Member

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 485 SC
    Crysis has poor SLI-support, improved slightly with the patch, but nothing close to the support you find in COD4.

4. Grymn

Grymn Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS 512 750/2100 SLI
    Yip, agree, Crysis has very poor SLI support. Bench with one card then with both and you'll see what I mean.

Try the 169.28's for Crysis, don't touch your SLI mode (it'll be set to Single GPU only), apparently uses some form of AFR3 or SFR3 (can't remember which) that works better than forcing another form of SLI.

5. CaPtAiN_InSaNo

CaPtAiN_InSaNo Active Member

GPU:
    8800 GTS 640/900
    Ut3

How about UT3? Any ideas as to the cause of the stuttering close to portals? I don't think its SLI related, because I disabled SLI in the drivers and it does the same thing, i dunno if its a driver glitch with the G80 core's or what. No other games have that problem. I'll try the .28's, they are suppose resolve some issues for people that have problems with UT3.

6. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    In UT3 the portal stuttering is normal, do not worry about it. Ive had it on two different computers and many people who play UT3 have reported it. Its something they need to fix. Make sure you have the latest patches for the game and be on the lookout for a new one in the near future.

Otherwise your performance sounds typical. I contest many of the supposed COD4 performance many people have been getting, but that sounds about right. A good test to see how low it goes is the very beginning of the second mission in the swamp