SLI on a X48/38

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by aleslammer, Nov 8, 2009.

1. aleslammer

aleslammer Member Guru

GPU:
    Not Sure
    I was using the modded driver method with a couple of 7800 GTs I borrowed, nice scores on AM3 and 3DM01. 03 & 05 were a little low cranked up a few settings and corrupted my OS, about time for a clean install anyway. Worked with out a hitch on the initial testing at reasonable hardware settings.

Ale

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Why even bother running 7800GT's in SLI anymore?

3. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I think he was just testing tbh.

4. aleslammer

aleslammer Member Guru

GPU:
    Not Sure
    sykozis: Was good for 10 points at Hwbot until I blew out my OS and in general to see if it works. Never played with SLI before. Going to pickup some mates for my Nvidia cards and try my hand at the OS mod.

kylzer: Thanks

Ale

5. gampamu

gampamu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
    Thanks Ale, for testing the SLI mod for LGA775 Intel chipset and posting your results. I am sure there are many who would find this usuful.

6. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Mods like this may become more and more important as time goes on, with Nvidia no longer able to manufacture motherboards due to the x86 law suit, and if intel decides to play dirty and cut sli support for their motherboards...nvidia would be in a bad way in the high end of the market. Fingers crossed the lucid hybrid thingamajiggy works well and it could eliminate the need for a specific board and possibly improve sli performance....but truth be told until there is a better method than AFR they will always perform poorly

7. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    ^^ nVidia it's trying to talk MSI out of lucid hydra.......... they don't want this

8. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    We'll see what happens, I think the two players in the graphics game are both playing dirty, I know some ati vendors are unhappy with the restrictions about non reference cards etc, I would love to see compamies like gigabyte and asus break away and make their own cards, even if they were purely a mid/low segment, it could help shake things up, and i'm sure they have the money and expertise to do so. But of course that's a pipe dream, in a perfect world nvidia would also make cpu's and intel would be the third video card manufacturer, but it will probably never happen

9. Nasgul

Nasgul Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX 512MB 700/11
    Exactly!

As for the rest that think that SLI is so important? Well, unfortunately you're mistaken. SLI is only for bechnmark whores, let's face it, till you get a decent monitor above the 'NATIVE' 60HZ and resolution, SLI than may become a factor worth buying.

I never bought into this because LCD monitors don't have the capability to process images as fast as a 120HZ or 240HZ tv/monitor.

Image you buy a super:ubber 240HZ 1080P $4,999 TV, BUT! the broadcaster is only capable of sending the image at a paltry 480i......
    Same concept vice-versa, your 60HZ LCD monitor does not have the capability to process images that fast, so there will always be that cap and no matter how many video cards you add? You're still stuck with a native res and a mere 60HZ.

There's a factor beyond a benchmark score that you fellas need to look into it. So next time you head to your local electronic store, view a tv with a 60HZ vs 120 vs a 240HZ and you'll see that "benchmark numbers" don't mean jack till you get the monitor that will be able to hardness a super:ubber video card set up.

10. learners permit

learners permit Master Guru

GPU:
    Xfire 290X
    Don't be so sure that Intel won't become a player in the graphics card market sometime in the near future.

11. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD5450
  12. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    Most people go SLI to raise minimum framerates....also most single cards are not able get decent frames at 1920x1200 or above with max settings.

I game at 2048x1152 and my old 4890 handled it great with 4 or 8x AA, but there was room for improvement on minimum frames. I also used to have a GTX 280 and the exact same holds true (the 280 sucked with 8x AA though)

13. Bentez

Bentez Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080Ti
    -nonsense

14. Nasgul

Nasgul Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX 512MB 700/11
    Most? Funny, I still play fine and dandy with my 24" display and my 9800GTX......

And the funniest of them all? the display is so great, at that high resolution the jagged edges are not seen, everything looks smooth and clean, reason why 'MOST' people probably don't even have to bother with AA or AF, even the minimal setting.

Image quality and performance are two huge different things and both can be change in the video card driver's control panel.

MOST people go with SLI so they can brag about #1 benchmark score and #2 so they can say: I have SLI!
    But in the real world, it doesn't make any difference, reason why I still have the 9800GTX and have not had the need to upgrade yet.

And MOST native resolution don't come at 2048x1152, if any 'MOST' fellas have a 22" LCD with a 1680 x 1050 res. I've use the 1920 and 1680 and regardless, it all looks the same, needless to mention that both displays are so great there's absolutely no need for AA or AF to be set not even at the minimum setting.

Kid, stick around longer, you'll learn a thing or two.

15. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't bench, never been interested in benching ; I just use it to check performance and drivers...... althouh I do prefer game benches to do this...... but I have 3 GPUS .......

I have a multiple GPU config that allows me to run any game at max settings, with a decent fps media , most of the times solid 60 fps, except for Crysis; but even in crysis at 1920x1200 I never deep below 40 fps 2xAA ; that makes the game very playable .....

I have a Samsung T260 26'' 1920x1200 and a T200 1680 20''
    Even with the T260 there are games that don't even need AA; I like to push AA in many games I can, for example Lara Croft Tomb Raider , the last one (can't remember the name) and Wolverine Origines it's like oil and water with or without AA...........

Now you tell us SLI does not make any difference in real world, then why can I play most games at 60 fps high res, high AA and any other combination that passes through my mind without hesitation ????

You telling me you can to the same with a single 9800GTX ????

Not everydy it's a bench whore, yet you catalog all of us like that. Your arguments are just poor.

I am not going to start any argument over this; you have your opinion and I respect that, but it's too simplistic ... if you don't like multi gpus config or consider the advantages of multiple gpus just don't fit your needs or they are not enough in terms of cost/performance/problems etc it's ok, but denying SLI just based on the facts that at "1920" it's not neccesary or SLI it's for braggers, for me it lacks of consistency.......

16. Nasgul

Nasgul Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX 512MB 700/11
    Yes, yes I can.......

And why bother, why? Bother with "high" AF or AA? I mean, my monitor is a high-quality monitor, it's not like the 1st gen of LCDs or gives a much better image as a CRT but close enough, enough not to bother with those settings.

Using a high setting (or even the minimal) won't make any difference, the jagged edges are not there, this is not GeForce 200MX days.....

17. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No, the jagged edges are there; there are many games that take advantage of AA to the level that it looks like a complete new game, with better grahpics (I gave you a couple of examples).

And on the other hand, there are games with no AA support, than look like crap (take GTA IV for example). In some of this ones, you can force AA and have a better IQ.

If the game it's POS; all of this it's meaningless ; but if the game it's woth it, taking the best IQ possible out of it it's a good thing.

All of this, on a Sansung T260; another T200 and a Asus 26'' 2ms for a while.....

Thereforce, if you want to MAX everything out (including AA) at 1920x1200 or higher; you need a power house, that would be a nVidia 285 / 295, 4870 CF or TriFire, or something like that ... that is or a really powerful single card like the new 5xxx Ati series, or to wait until Fermi arrives......

You know that at 1900 or higher all the stake it's at the GPUs (well most of games) so the more crunching power you have there the better (at lower resolutions the CPU becomes more important). This is one of the reasons ppl go for SLI/CF , because they consider single cards don't give all they need (leaving aside 295 / X2 cards, those are multi GPU on a single PCB, no matter what they say there are not "single" gpu cards)

NOW, I do agree that if there is a single core GPU that is equivalent, for my current setup, for example, i'd be the first to sell my gpus and get just one single gpu/single card solution and get rid of all the hassle ......

18. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    ops wrong thread :)