SLI on a Crossfire Motherboard

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Xenotone, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Xenotone

Xenotone Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    Hi guys. I have searched and searched the web but everything seems out of date and I don't know if it relates to my hardware or not so I decided to start another thread.

Can anyone help me? How do I use 2x 8800GT on my Gigabyte MA-790FX-DS5 crossfire motherboard?

Thanks!

2. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Lightning
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  3. Xenotone

Xenotone Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    Ah, thanks. I saw that but I wasn't sure if they were only talking about X58 boards.

4. blackthesoul

blackthesoul Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1080ti
    hiya mate, heres a dev site who seemed to have solved the problem of using multiple nvidia cards whilst using an AMD chipset, and vice versa.
    i cannot accept any thanks for this as i was only to find out about this myself not too long ago... heres the original thread http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=335309, and thanks to original poster 'Sever' for posting the link
    http://xdevs.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.30

hope this helps buddy, let me know how it goes as im currently using the same 790fx chipset as your gigabyte board and im hoping i can use 2 gtx470's soon without any probs :)

good luck buddy :)

5. blackthesoul

blackthesoul Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1080ti

typical, the time it took me to faff about and create my post, you had already posted the link lol, my hat off to you sir :)

6. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Lightning
    They have a list of motherboards that have been confirmed to work with the patch.

Your chipset (790FX) is listed but not your exact motherboard - however I would still expect it to work.

:D

7. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    I've currently got a Crosshair III Formula board and 2xGTX480s. I tried last night for a few hours to get the SLIHack to work on the latest Nvidia drivers - but just couldnt get it stable. The screen seemed to keep going a wierd blueish blurry overlay and would crash in games. Im going to try again tonight with some older Nvidia drivers.

I really want this to work as i cant seem to find any decent AMD SLI supported mobos!!

8. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    haha, i just got home from work.

umm, theres an updated version of the patch floating around somewhere. i'll see if i can find the link, for some reason its not on the xdevs site.

edit - found it.

http://www.slipatch.com/about/

seems theyve moved the site. the new 1.0 final patch supports the 560, 570, and 580 from what ive read.

if you go to the following section, you can see which drivers people are running with it.

http://www.slipatch.com/sysls/

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  9. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Ye, i tried that v1 last night a few times. Like i said - just couldnt get it stable. Must just hate the latest drivers or the component combinations...

Either way i just ordered this mobo which is not only GPU flexible, but benches like a beast in comparisons :)

"MSI 870A Fuzion Power Edition (Socket AM3) DDR3 PCI-Express ATX Motherboard "

10. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    260.99 and 263.09 seem to be the most stable of the newer drivers from what i can see.

hmm, doesnt that board support N-mode fusion for nvidia cards? is it stable in N-mode? if not, it could be something else in your system causing instability.

the hydra drivers have been improving well, but the issue is that you cant use bridges.

the bridges normally add pcie 1x bandwidth which improves performance notably. but with the hydra n mode with no bridge, it feeds the data through the pcie lanes of the board. the asus crosshair iv extreme has the advantage in this regard because it runs the 890fx nb, 850sb, and lucid hydra for a total of 42+16 pcie lanes or something (10 are normally reserved for other cards on amd iirc). so with the crosshair board, if theyre only running two cards, they still have 16 lanes spare for communication between the cards, whereas the 870a fuzion and p55 fuzion dont have many lanes left over.

11. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    True, I did look at the Crosshair 4 Extreme - but its more than double the price of the fusion power - and im just looking for a decent board to use my 2 GTX480s on - with AMD.

Do you reckon that the 870a is going to have issues with throughput by using the 2 GTX480s in SLI ( not n mode - just straight SLI )?

12. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    in sli mode (with bridge) it should be fine. the hydra chip adds enough lanes to get both slots running at 16x.

but yeah, i'd still recommend trying the cards with n mode first. if you still get the issue with n mode, then it could be one of your cards is faulty, or youre using the wrong rail combination on your power supply. if it runs fine in n mode but not in sli patch mode, then it could be youre using a faulty SLI bridge, or the wrong drivers.

13. kahboom

kahboom New Member

GPU:
    Msi gtx 570 x2 sli
    I have the msi 870a power edition motherboard and n mode works like crap on a stick turned sideways fingering a cat, uninstalled the lucid hydra drivers and installed the sli patch 1.0 final and im running the 266.58 nvidia drivers and running it in sli and it is so much cleaner like mister clean, or the scrubing bubbles little bastards, the driver support for the lucid hydra chip is rather lacking, it had conflicts when the hydra chip was turned on and the sli patch was installed, would fall at random and flip me off in the process, x mode its self is a waste only supports a hand full of games ok at best, other wise is very choppy.

14. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    yeah, if you read their notes, it says that the patch runs better if all the lanes come from one chip. the msi 870a fuzion board has half the lanes coming off the hydra chip which screws it up a little there.