SLI not working all of a sudden HELP Please

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by mattymaxima, Jan 7, 2009.

1. mattymaxima

mattymaxima Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800 GTX+ SLI
    So my PC has been acting weird starting a couple weeks ago. I started losing 5-10 fps on far cry 2 benchmarks and fallout has been running slower. I was using 181.00 before it started slowing down but have tried 180.60 again which were great b4 and the new 185.20 with no luck. With sli enabled I get twice the fps in FurMark and FluidMark but my games are being wierd now.

I took screenies to show you the weird results in Far Cry 2

With SLI enabled

[​IMG]

without SLI

[​IMG]

Is one of my video cards going out? I dont understand it was working great then all of a sudden its not. Fallout3 froze and then after that it has run like shyte. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. xSLIX

xSLIX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 WCSWIFTECH
    IF one of ur card where dead u know. 1... it doesnt show up in decive manger . 2... driver will only install only one card. n 3....when u uninstall the driver system will reboot only find one card also. did u try diff sli settings or leave sli on nvidia recommended. i finally got fc2 working again stupid secom **** came up yesterday when i reinstalled my sec card. n it working fine in sli for me but then again im on xp. i got tired of using vista 64 but i might reinstall it my dual boot got fked up on me somehow

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  3. mattymaxima

mattymaxima Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800 GTX+ SLI
    Ive tried different settings. Afr 2 usually for far cry2 but i tried afr 1 and nvidia recommended and nothing. Riva tuner, Evga Precision, and device manager all see 2 video cards both with same driver. Like I said when I run Vantage, Call of Juarez, FluidMark, FurMark in SLI they all work.

And like I said its not like far cry2 and fallout 3 never worked in SLI, THEY DID, but now are not no matter what driver I use. Im thinking at this point it has to be windows/nvidia driver problem/corruption. I thought maybe PSU but then why would apps like Furmark work with no problem? Memory has 0 errors in memtest and bios shows my 12v at 12.05.

I think im gonna reload vista on to a new HDD but Im worried that when I do that, what happens if my system still does the same thing?

4. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    try the official 180.48 drivers, thats what im using and SLi works brilliantly.

quite a strange issue, im not really sure what to say. what about other games, like cod4. do they run well?

5. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Just try a different driver as MM10X suggested. The OS re-installation isn't such a bad idea either.

If those things aren't working, I'm sure we'll figure out what's causing this. ;)

6. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    You could also consider removing each card from each PCIe slot and unplugging the power cables and then reinstalling them. Microscopic dust can cause problems and reseating the devices can make good contacts.

Does Riva Tuner or Precision Tune show the temperatures for each card making sense? That is, one is not overheating that may show a fan malfunction. Or one is staying too cool showing that it is not working well.

7. mattymaxima

mattymaxima Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800 GTX+ SLI
    I took out both cards. Completely dusted with compressed air. Tested one at a time and both cards get the same score for Vantage, Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 benchies. Both cards run at the same temp and when in SLI are both shown in device manager, EVGA precision, and riva tuner.

I uninstalled drivers, rebooted into safe mode and ran both driver cleaner and driver sweeper then rebooted normally and installed 180.48. Switched to SLI and rebooted then changed the profile settings for Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2.

Results are the same. I then disabled SLI and got the same fps in fallout and roughly the same score in Far Cry 2.

I then ran Vantage, Call of Juarez, Crysis, Warhead, FurMark, and Fluid Mark benches with SLI disabled then ran them again with SLI enabled and the results were clear that SLI is working for those BUT NOT FOR FALLOUT 3 or FAR CRY 2!

I am at a loss here. It would be one thing if they never worked at all, but SLI was indeed working for both games when I first installed them a month or so ago. I would think if my windows files were corrupt I would be having problems with all 3D apps?

I have scanned using AVG, Adware, SpyBot, A Squared Free, and Malwarebytes with no infections found and have ran memtest successfully everytime and also have ran chkdsk and WD diagnostic scan with no errors.

To me it can be only one of 2 things. A) Corrupted windows files or B) PSU...?

8. H3llF1re2005

H3llF1re2005 Guest

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal SLi
    Hey there. Do the SLI indicators show up in those games (NV Control Panel - 3D Settings - Show SLI visual indicators)? Maybe there is something weird going on with your profiles? I'd fire up nhancer and have a look around to make sure.

EDIT -- sorry, just noticed you said you have already checked your profiles.

If so, I think what I'd do at this stage is completely uninstall the game (carefully removing all references to it from the registry if some are left behind) and then reinstall it, with all patches, and try again.

HTH,

H3.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i been having same issues with this driver(260 sli 64 vista).... reinstalling does seem to work thuo.
    never this much of a pita with xp