SLI in VR titles.

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by Chess, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Chess

Chess Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Quick question.

Would you think that, what with high end VR resolutions @90Hz/fps , SLI would become somewhat viable again in VR games? A single card would ofc. be best, but I can simply not afford to not use my 1080ti and save for a 2018S/ti when the headset would be €1k as well. ( talking about Valve Index )

A second 1080ti would serve me well in the €400 range.
    Any thoughts?

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^Your 1080ti is more than enough to enjoy VR, all higher cards do are give you more wiggle room for stuff like supersampling and the likes, i mean i get by with my non TI 1080 and VR is great with it, and at this point i doubt SLI for VR will ever be a thing, i think last time i looked SLI supported games were not even into double figures.

Plus you don't really need to buy the most expensive VR HMD, the Index is my view is way overpriced for a LCD based headset, and there are plenty of cheaper options out there, a second hand Vive with lighthouses or a secondhand CV1, still two great vr headsets, and they won't break your wallets heart. ;)

3. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Zotac AMP!
    No point, I've seen a couple of games support SLI but when I say a couple, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Serious Sam and that doesn't bring much extra performance, most games are CPU bound. 1080Ti will serve you well on an Index as long as your CPU is up to snuff.

4. Chess

Chess Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Alright, thanks. I was worried because of the high rate of frames and the 90Hz of the LCDs.

5. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Zotac AMP!
    You'd be able to push 120hz on an Index in a good amount of games too, nothing to worry about!