SKYRIM - Performance Issues!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Altra001, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Running the game beyond max settings, but with MSAA lowered to 4x

285.79, silky smooth

2. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    His statement isn't meaningless if the game is running smooth for him and I too haven't noticed any drops like what you mention. Really need to spend more time playing the game than getting wound up with ppl moaning about the performance. But I guess out of all the hundreds of thousands of ppl playing with no issues you can start getting depressed reading comments from the vocal minority who would have you think that the game will stutter all over the place.

3. btdvox

btdvox Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 690 - +135%/+100/+200
    Games running not bad. I realized using Mouse and Keyboard is not good on this game. It's ui was made for the 360 Controller so that's what I'm using and it's great.

I played Oblivion on 360 and it was good too so I'm happy about that.

I get some hard drops at times too using GTX 580 SLI my settings are at ultra with FXAA and Object detail fade off. 16X AF, 8XAA (In game), and 4X TRSSAA through Driver and running at 55-60. the hard drops are odd but they must be driver related. Overall much better launch then Other Beth games like Rage and by the time the driver update comes out, I'll actually still be playing the game! haha.

I do get some odd AA lines on my character at certain places.

4. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Nope, havent seen it dip below 60 even once, so youre wrong. Youre the one with meaningless posts.

5. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    this all post was made because there is a problem - hell just Google "skyrim low fps"...

6. Ouzo

Ouzo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    I wish I wasn't. Was really waiting for this title. But I want to enjoy this butter smooth... so waiting patch, etc.

Well, meanwhile BF3 keeps me busy :)

7. Gardox

Gardox New Member

GPU:
    GEFORCE GTX 570 @805
    hi i'm a new user, i've problem:
    i've to set triple buffering & vsync forced d3d but i can't with d3doverrider.. i set tesv on d3doverrider menu but I don't hear the beep when i start skyrim.
    Is there a similar program that could work like d3doverrider???
    sorry for my bad english :p

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Game running great for over 4 hrs not one crash all settings on max except AA.

9. Strider

Strider Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX470 Overclocked
    My D3Doverrider does work so I think you are doing something wrong or there's a bug in your system.
    But I also need to say that I find absolute no fps difference with forced triple buffering or vsync or both.

I also seem to read a lot that the low fps is often caused for certain systems by turning shadows off. Yeah, off you read it right, when you turn them on the performance increases according to some people.
    I just don't notice any difference with anything I try, it runs 40fps in town on lowest settings or on highest settings, outside fps is better mostly but same slowdowns on all graphic options, must be something in the game that must be patched, to many people are complaining about fps issues.

10. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Nvidia Inspector 1.9.5.5

11. Gardox

Gardox New Member

GPU:
    GEFORCE GTX 570 @805
    incredible: i changed shadows from ultra to high and fps raised from 50 to 70/75!! now i can enable vsync with no stutter problem! thanks Strider!

Where are settings which allow to force d3d triple buffer and vsync?? were not for OpenGL??

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  12. jason160uk

jason160uk New Member

GPU:
    gtx 470
    I have an i5 760 with a gtx 470. I was getting bad fps but having read that skyrim for some retarded reason only uses 2 cores max (I know this by limiting cores also) I decided to see what performance I would get from overclocking my cpu, I have gone from 2.8 to 3.5 and have noticed an improvment by up to 10fps.

This just shows how bad pc gaming has become !! :(

13. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    I call BS. It runs at above 60 with a setup like yours on ultra (everything max) in probably 90% of areas. In the other areas, the object and actor LOD is too high and the game is not quad-core optimized (only dual-core optimized since game engine is from 2005). It is CPU limited game.

Some people can notice frame drops without and FPS meter, and some aren't bothered by it really. I can notice it even more because I'm using an analog controller which allows slow, steady movement. It depends greatly on your mouse also whether performance drop is even visible also.

14. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Yeah thx for input RoadKill. I turned my Actor Detail back to max because it seemed that object detail made a bigger difference.

Also this just in medium shadows performs better than high shadows by a good margin.. and it looks just about equally bad lol.

Any word on a good way to disable shadows altogether?

15. arrrdawg

arrrdawg Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460m
    By transparency AA via skyrimprefs.ini, do you mean bTransparencyMultisampling? That's a deprecated Fallout 3/NV setting, it doesn't work at all in Skyrim. You're probably getting a placebo effect. In Fallout 3/NV it would dither the edges of alpha textures and made the grass look nicer on high resolutions (but affected some things negatively). It's likely a holdover from an earlier build before FXAA was implemented. Same thing with the water multisampling line.

Be careful with the various tweaking guides. Some of the recommendations have an nice effect, but a lot of them don't do anything or they hurt performance. I used to use the Fallout 3 tweak guide and noticed that performance improved when I took out the tweaks. I'm shaking my head and some of the recommendations neogaf has for Skyrim.

Couple things I've noticed.. Some users have mentioned that the mouse can become super sensitive if you disable vsync in the .ini. It's not sensitivity in this instance, it is the game speeding up when there are no NPCs on screen.

FXAA will slightly blur the screen with the positive effect of dramatically improving alpha textures. Many users are combining it with all forms of AA. If you use FXAA in the launcher, you can pretty much turn off AA completely (at least at 1920x1080). Users with higher end rigs will want to disable FXAA and use their driver's transparency AA. In my testing, even MSAA has more of a performance impact here than other games. With AA off and FXAA checked, it looks like 4x MSAA with the slight blurring and better alpha textures. I also gain 5fps.

Shadows effect performance significantly. There is little difference between low shadows and ultra shadows, both are pixelated. Ultra shadows minimized the effect when the shadows move as the sun moves, on low it makes them flicker.

If I lower my resolution to 1280x720, some scenes have the same framerate as 1920x1080 until I move to a different area where the FPS gets higher. This is likely due to the CPU bottleneck.

I have a laptop GPU, nvidia gtx 460m which is weaker than it's desktop equivalent. I also have a laptop cpu, an i7 that goes from 1.7 to 2.8. I'm using ultra settings with AA turned off, FXAA on (see above), 1920x1080, and shadows on low. Interiors can sometimes be 60fps, outside I get above 30 average with occasional dips below that. This is still better than the PS3 and 360. The engine (which btw is still gamebryo at its core in case you didn't notice) isn't perfect and some with pricey rigs feel less than 60fps is unplayable. For the rest of us, 30fps+ is playable though.

BTW - the LOD settings do not make a difference for much of the game. On average it is just a couple frames from my testing, not worth it. Also, there was no difference in fps between no AF and 16x AF in all of my tests which seems to be pretty consistent on modern video cards. If you do run high, crank AF up to 16.

Also, d3doverrider is definitely not working for me. It never worked for Fallout: NV either but it did work with Fallout 3 and Oblivion. If there is no chime when you launch the game, it is not working.

16. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 Ulltra
    Running in 1920x1080 with everything maxed cept no AA and just FXAA. Getting very low GPU usage with SLI enabled but its atleast playable (25-100+ fps). Runs better with SLI off imho. Good looking game bar some textures that look like they're from 1994.

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Believe someone explained how to disable shadows on Page 3. He uses SSAO instead.

I personaly havn't tried that yet. I got Shadows in High atm, i got used to it and don't rly pay attention to anymore seeing i enjoy the game too much :)

I seem to have fixed my crashes without errors aswell. My Pagefile was set to 400-400 i upped it to 1024-1024 now played for over 6 hours yesterday without a single crash.

Apart from that it's running okey, mainly in villages the FPS drops down but outside its 90% of the time above 60 fps. I'm sure there will be a driver update or a patch because the CPU and GPU usage isn't really stable.

I'm running with 4x MSAA, 16xAA and 2x Supersample at 1680x1050. Supersample set in nvidia control panel.

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I have everything maxed on mine mate,shadows as well,it runs at a constant 60fps everything on ultra inclusing shadows,i have AA on x2 if i put on x4 when i go to big cities it drops to around 40fps so i leave it on x2,im only using 1x295gtx,i also added the exe and tweaked nvidia inspector,it made a difference,you should be getting even better performance than me with 1x580 nvm 2,i use the nvidia ***.79 driver and it works great for this game,you must not be doing something right with regards to how its setup etc.

19. Pogs

Pogs New Member

GPU:
    HD5870 Vapor-x
    Exactly the same thing here, I had tried everything else, but setting shadows to high from ultra has made this game silky. Thanks loads!

20. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    The first sentence my brother said when saw SR:man...it looks like Daggerfall....LOL

The textures are painfully low res and blurry,the shadow maps have maybe 256X256 or 512X512 pel max on ultra?...
    They could have at least added some quality sliders that mean something for the renderer on PC and higher res. textures.
    Maybe it is best to wait it to be patched and modded,but yeah,who can resist it.