SKYRIM - Performance Issues!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Altra001, Nov 11, 2011.

1. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
  2. eiren

eiren Active Member

GPU:
    GTX480 @ 890
    That just covers everything in shadow and makes all the characters dark.

3. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Guys who are having performance dips:

As I posted with my settings one of the main choices which affects performance is Object Fade. Actor fade and Shadows also changes performance for the better in cities when you place these values on lower setting.. I use shadows on high instead of ultra.

4. Altra001

Altra001 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD7990
    Thanks for all your feedback guys :)
    Good to know Im not alone.

I did try restricting my FPS, modding the ini file, disabling certin features.
    I can remove the stutter if I make the game look like a Super Nintendo Game! :p

But as mentioned before, the worst of the stutters is at the start of the game as your entering the first town. I have been playing for 8 hours now and it appears to be certin places for the slowdown.

1: First town with hourse and cart
    2: Second town after you come out of the cave
    3: Large waterfall on the way to first Castle
    4: Market Place in Castle

I hope the game developers are aware of these issues.
    If not, how do we let them know, I could not see anything on their website.

Again, thanks for all your imput guys.
    If i find anything you will all be the first to know.

Cheers.

5. jason160uk

jason160uk Guest

GPU:
    gtx 470
    Im in whiterun and im getting bad gpu usage, sometimes as low as 50% of my gtx470 yet my cpu usage is nowhere near 100% about half to be exact. Im really dissapointed as I want to be sucked into the world of skyrim but the lack of gpu usage is really affecting my gameplay.

Im getting as low as 40 in this town at 50% usage, so im not happy with this at all, this is not right :(

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    other than it looking like your typical bethesda game , it plays fairly decent. i cant wait until the mods start pouring in :D

7. VorianAtreides

VorianAtreides Active Member

GPU:
    CROSSFIREX/TOXIC6850/1GB
    Well can we at last put to rest the debate, that console ports on pc, at least at launch run like crap even with a system more powerful than the consoles...

8. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    So I'm running 285.62 and I just got the Skyrim SLI profile that was released through the update manager on 11/9 and I also have the framerate issues. I've only gotten to the first town so far but I'm getting everything from 30-60 fps. Damn how I hate pc releases of games... Every single time we need to wait for drivers and updates. Can't they figure these things out ahead of time?

9. mutate44

mutate44 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 2GB WF 1293 Boost
    Well just does not make any sense were almost in the year 2012 and Skyrim still does not have better multithreaded support. It would run miles better in those major cites with no fps dips if i supported dual or even quad at least. GTA 4 took a 5.2GHZ 2600K just to play smoothly lol but at least it supports quad. Even Oblivion still runs like crap to this day even with my highly overclocked 580. Will have to try skyrim will post benchmarks and performance numbers when I can get my hands on the game.

10. VorianAtreides

VorianAtreides Active Member

GPU:
    CROSSFIREX/TOXIC6850/1GB
    Well maybe it's time we hang up the gloves, and admit the defeat, consoles has won, pc gaming is not as good as it should have be at this time and age...

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I mainly use DXTORY and cap the fps to 30 at Ultra.

However, I tested it without it, and with every maxed out, 8xaa, 16xaf, fxaa on, etc etc.

Im pulling in 62fps min and around 90fps max but it stays around 75fps for the most part. That is outdoors too running around, indoors it never dips below 87fps even in some of the bigger more detailed dungeons.

I was pulling in really bad fps (dipping to lows of 36fps) before but I found out that changing my page file from my separate media drive to my games drive (separate again from my system drive) it improved fps quite a lot. It seems that this game loves to thrash your hard drive a lot. And having to switch data from drive to drive is not a good thing for the engine.

EDIT:

Just found this... it might help some people who are getting slow performance on i7 CPU's with HT enabled.

It seems the game auto sets the HW Thread count to physical cores and not logical cores.

[​IMG]

The highlighted setting for me was set to 4 by default, I have set it to 8 as I use HT. It might help some people with stuttering or low fps. I have not tried it my self, but I will do now. Thought I would share it with you guys first. It might not work for me but it might do for you.

Post back if it helps! :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  12. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I don't think it's anything to do with not having a sufficiently fast hard drive. I'm running this game on an SSD, the same one that I'm running windows on too. How did the HT fix work?

13. Altra001

Altra001 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD7990
    Hello Guys

What a long morning. I can confirm two major factors for poor performance:
    1: Shaddows (FPS Drops and Performance Hits)
    2: Distant Object Detail (Ultra causes stutter every few seconds)

So, how am I playing the game now to ensure maximum performance and still maintain quality.

First (Fix Stutter)
    Set Skyrim to Ultra via the OPTIONS menu at launch
    Select Advanced and configure Distant Object Detail to HIGH
    Save and Close.

Second [Fix FPS Drops and Performance)
    Edit the Skyrimperfs.ini file and disable shaddows
    fShadowDistance=0
    Note: If you make changes again via Skyrims OPTIONS menu, this will get reset. So come back and change it.

Thrid (Enable SSAO)
    Edit Game Profile and enable SSAO via nVidia Inspector
    Ambient Occlusion compatibility - 0x0000003 (Fallout 3)
    Ambient Occlusion setting - High quality
    Ambient Occlusion usage - Enabled

SSAO is a good sub for the lack of Shaddows.
    Not a complete replacement, but better than nothing.

Have a go and let me know what you think.

Thanks guys :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  14. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    The RendererInfo.txt resets after you start the game. I'm not even sure it makes a difference as some of the values contradict my SkyrimPrefs.ini settings (ie. Transparency MS). Do you set it to read-only?

15. BeeJAyP

BeeJAyP Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti Hybrid
    RendererInfo.txt isn't a settings file AFAIK, it just displays information about the current settings used, changing the file in any way just makes the game change it back when it is run. There were a few thread/multicore settings in the previous games, but none of them seem to be working, such as iNumHWThreads (from fallout 3/NV).

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090

There you go your running it on an SSD, it can be bad for an SSD tio continuously write stuff as it degrades over time. I suggest moving any page file from that drive to a separate HDD instead of an SSD to save on life span and it may improve performance. When I said improved performance I mainly meant load times are VASTLY improved. I reread my post and what I meant to say didnt really come across very well lol it is 6am and Ive just finished work.

Yes I set it to read only, and no it didnt make any difference. Although I am not sure if the game has had an update but in the menu screens, even in the in game options im getting like 1900fps lol was getting around 100fps before :S

Ah... I dont think it worked anyway. Just looked for that command in the .ini and could not find it.

It is a shame they couldnt have optimised it for use PC gamers with quads and hexacores though.

Maybe a patch will be released, like the one for the first STALKER game, where they removed one of the thread from the first CPU to the second if another core was detected. That improved my performance back then tenfold in that game. If they can do it in a 15mb patch why can't Bethesda?

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The pagefile is read to write ratio on average is 40:1, and that's in a system that actually uses it due to low RAM. The pagefile will never affect the lifespan of a SSD, this is fact. It's also going to run circles around a mechanical when the pagefile actually gets used, so moving it off is absurd unless you need the space badly.

And there's not going to be any magical patches for this game; it's hardly the crappy console port everyone thinks it is. It's running a further modified version of Gamebryo and it's amazing what they've managed to get out of it compared to previous games. The performance to visual ratio is astounding. No stutters either.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Setting Actor and Object Detail to 3 helped a great bunch, but seeing NPCs Fade in at like 20-30 yards is rather annoying.

I really hope they gonna solve this issue either with a Game Patch or new nVidia Drivers. The GPU usage is going all over the place aswell, from 10 to 100%

I currently use 285.79.

19. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Skyrim is running beautifully well on my setup. 60fps all the way, zero issues. All max settings. Just saying so to tell that not everyone has issues with the game.

20. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    this game can run at 60 fps at certain places - like when u first come out into skyrim all the way to the first town you say "wow 60fps i have no problems what are you talking about?" - but than you can look at a building with a water wheel and fps goes to 40 fps even though it doesnt look my graphically "busy" than before - so your statement is meaningless mate...