SKYRIM - Performance Issues!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Altra001, Nov 11, 2011.

1. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    BeeJAyP, is that Afterburner you're using in that screenshot? How do you get it to display thread usage and temps, and memory used and available? All I can get is FPS and GPU stats.

2. BeeJAyP

BeeJAyP Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti Hybrid
    I'm using HWiNFO32 (or HWiNFO64), it can read sensors and send them to the Afterburner RTSS, you can get it at http://www.hwinfo.com/download32.html, here's some more info about doing it http://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-Support-of-RTSS-Displaying-HWiNFO32-sensor-values-in-Games.

On another note, I also reset my skyrim ini files as I was having silent crashes after updating, after doing this I haven't had any crashes, though I haven't tweaked anything again either.

3. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    BeeJAyp, thank you, man! I logged in to ask you the same question, but luckily you gave the answer already!

4. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Well.....you know what to do then?!

Game runs great for me. Very few crashes. Thoroughly enjoying it.

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Doesn't 1.2 break resistance and other stuff?

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No, just doesnt fix the magic resistance bug

7. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    I see. You mean, shimmer as in flickering shadows? Or how?

If it reaches 4Gb and then poops out, then its a memory leak, if not, then its something else.

Thats expected i guess, not a glitch. Its the same as if you wanted to watch a movie with no RAM free in your system. Its not an "problem". Its the limitaiton of the hardware. Dont run the hardware towards its limits and you should see no problems (problems of that nature i mean).

Like 3 CTDs in 100hs here. Messing around with the .ini, with driver profile settings, using beta drivers AND half the game is on a ram disk, so its not cuz im playing in a "safe environment" precisely.

8. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    my bad was just playing and noticed this myself :( even on a 4.8 overclock with HT on or off, seems like as you progress further it gets worse

9. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

Its like having a bilinear line moving in front of you, bow-wash effect or how do you call it..

Its not literally bilinear more like trilinear line in the distance, but it makes the same hard line like std bilinear filtering - instead of blurred texture it makes this shimmering line with "broken shadow"..

iShadowFilter=3 <<< this too low makes that bug 1-2 or 5
    iBlurDeferredShadowMask=2 <<< this too high makes it also, or too low at 0
    fShadowBiasScale=0.4000 <<< this too if to low.
    iShadowMode=4 <<< this too at 1-2

10. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Ah, i know what you mean. Mmm... I didnt experienced that, maybe i didnt noticed it. That said, i have shadows at stock high exept for the blurshader, that is at 9. So maybe its produced by a mix of those rather than each parameter by itself.

11. Gardox

Gardox Guest

GPU:
    GEFORCE GTX 570 @805
    Now with new nvidia drivers i can't force AA from nvidia control panel / nvidia inspector.. why???

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Seems the 290.36 Drivers are bugged, seeing the Profiles are shown as a path aswell instead of the name of the game.

13. Gardox

Gardox Guest

GPU:
    GEFORCE GTX 570 @805
    But if you restore the previous drivers does not change anything.. maybe it's a problem of new skyrim patch..

14. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Well I guess it's not running just as crappily with 290.36 it's running worse, I'm crashing all the time now. Unless this is an issue with the patch, I really don't know.

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Wasn't able to force MSAA thru nVidia CP with Patch 1.1 either. So it's a Driver Bug.

16. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Had less crashes with 290.36 in Skyrim 1.1 so your crashing is Patch 1.2 issue.

Stick with 290.36 and simply wait till next week. They are releasing a new Patch early next week for PC and end of that week for Consoles.

I personaly havn't played Skyrim anymore since new Patch because of all the issues i read about. I'm busy with the new WoW 4.3 Patch anyways, so i'm just gonna wait till the Skyrim issues are solved.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  17. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    With Ambient Occlusion activated my game performance never extends 30fps on my GTX580 running 2560x1440, doesn't matter whether I run 2x Sparse Grid AA, 4x Sparse Grid AA, 8xSQ AA or anything.

Is ambient occlusion simply broke, or does the High Quality ambient occlusion option simply cripple the performance more than insane AA and anything else?

Finally I've got the game up and working for over 30mins for the very first time! Now I'm about to tweak for better visuals, could someone please link me a Skyrim.ini and Skyrimprefs.ini containing the optimal visual settings? I won't bother with doing all that manually once more...

18. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    Since we have a similar computer here is mine, coming from TheHunter(thx to him):

SkyrimPrefs.ini
    Skyrim.ini
    i didn't modify the Skyrim.ini

his original post: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4164543&postcount=7

I can't use SGSSAA neither 8xSQ AA dips to 1.5 FPS xD :( too heavy here or i must miss something in the process, like a special flag in nvinspector, ...

But with AO enabled on quality i have normal FPS

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  19. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ^ and @RamGuy

have you tried COD4 MW1 AO. Its more suitable and takes little to no perf. at AO-quality.

Also RamGuy dont use sparsegrid that's perf. killer and blurs the image to much, unless you like this effect.

and Toyten
    if you experience any loading "stutter" when you move around the Skyrim then lower this value here

[TerrainManager]
    fTreeLoadDistance=75000.0000
    fBlockMaximumDistance=250000.0000
    fBlockLevel1Distance=70000.0000
    fBlockLevel0Distance=35000.0000
    fSplitDistanceMult=1.5000

set it to 1.1000, it will help :)

20. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    This is the first time i play an Elders Skroll game so forgive me but i don't see what is the Skyrim from which you talk about ?