1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKYRIM - Performance Issues!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Altra001, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Altra001

Altra001 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD7990
    Hello guys

Is anyone else experiancing poor performance with Skyrim?

As you can see from my PC Specs', im not exaclty limited by HOURSE POWER.
    Im seeing low FPS dips and Stutter. More obvious when entering the town to get your head cut off!

I have tried the following:
    - Latest Beta Drivers (Reverted back as they were poor for BF3)
    - Turned off OverClocking (CPU & GPU)
    - Turned off Hyper Threading
    - Low settings (Better performance but not the best)

BF3 runs at 60FPS with no issues, but Skyrim......... COME ON!!!!!!

Its moments like these that you wish you picked it up on console.
    (Sorry for using the bad word! :p)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If I find anything Ill be sure to post back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE 1
    Hello Guys

What a long morning. I can confirm two major factors for poor performance:
    1: Shaddows (FPS Drops and Performance Hit)
    2: Distant Object Detail (Ultra causes stutter every few seconds)

So, how am I playing the game now to ensure maximum performance and still maintain quality.

First (Fix stutter)
    Set Skyrim to Ultra via the OPTIONS menu at launch
    Select Advanced and configure Distant Object Detail to HIGH
    Save and Close.

Second (Fix FPS Drops and Performance)
    Edit the Skyrimperfs.ini file and disable shaddows
    fShadowDistance=0
    Note: If you make changes again via Skyrims OPTIONS menu, this will get reset. So come back and change it.

Thrid (Enhance Image with SSAO)
    Edit Game Profile and enable SSAO via nVidia Inspector
    Ambient Occlusion compatibility - 0x0000003 (Fallout 3)
    Ambient Occlusion setting - High quality
    Ambient Occlusion usage - Enabled

SSAO is a good sub for the lack of Shaddows.
    Not a complete replacement, but better than nothing.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE 2

Hello guys (Again) :)
    I have been over to www.Skyrimnexus.com and found a few more things that may be of use to you all. Im using them and believe its the best were going to see until a new patch or driver is released.

FXAA Post Process Injector:
    Modifies that games FXAA settings enhancing colour and sharpness.
    It also removes some features offered by the game like FOG and improves overall performance. Overall, the benifits gained from visual enhancements out weigh the loss of some visual effects. (My Opinion)
    http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=131

There are many configuration files for this FXAA injector on Skyrimnexus, check em out and find one that suits you.
    Personaly, Im using this with in game 4xAA and 8xAF.

Memory Limit Increase:
    I was experiancing issues with the game not addressing anymore than 740Mb of RAM. Now I have SSD in RAID1 but still!
    Applying this fix to the Skyrim.ini file I now see the RAM scale as I play the game. Overall, reduced my game stutter.
    http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=170

-------------------------------------------------------------

Have a go and let me know what you think.

Thanks guys :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Are you using vsync? If so, try turning it off.

3. Altra001

Altra001 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD7990
    I dont recall seeing an option for vsync. mmmmmmm

But i do normaly use it tho. Ill disable it in the control pannel if i cant find it.

4. Strider

Strider Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX470 Overclocked
    Hello there,

Well I don't know if lowering vSync will improve fps, but here's how to do it:

Go to Explorer, Documents, My games, Skyrim and open Skyrim.ini with notepad.
    In the section "Display" add the following command line:

iPresentInterval=0

This will deactivate vSync but it didn''t made my fps go up, all I got was no mouse lag in menu's anymore and horrible tearing. I rather have some mouse lag that only exists in menu's and no tearing then the other way around.

Oh and btw, I have a pretty decent pc too and getting low fps too. Not that bad, but around 40 in the first town u ride when u start. To low for me and still experimenting on how to improve it.
    Won't start playing untill I am satisfied with my fps :D.

5. Altra001

Altra001 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD7990
    Thanks mate :)
    Im the same, wont play it untill i have the FPS sorted out.

Ill have a play in the ini file.

Thanks again.

6. snowdweller

snowdweller Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    Have the same problem on the cart going into town. I've turned all the LOD up all the way so I'm thinking its that.

My main gripe with this game right now is the sound! Does anyone have static cutouts like 1-2 seconds at a time and just a constant static buzzing with game sounds aswell?

I even had to turn down the audio quality in sound options in windows to 96 just so it wouldn't crash everytime WTF?

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Just started playing my self, game seems very very good so far.

However, fully maxed out, including 1080p, all sliders to full, 16xAF, 8XAA, and FXAA enabled too.

Im pulling in around 38 - 60fps, mostly hitting around 45-50fps.

I am just using Dxtory to cap my fps at 30, I know some of you will be like "EEEEWWWWW 30fps is horrible" well I can tell you that for me for single player games it is great. Yes you can tell its 30fps easily when compared to say RAGE running at consistent 60fps. But 30fps is still VERY smooth it also allows you to run the game maxed out and this game looks gorgeous. Just make sure to disable Vsync in Nvidia control panel to stop the stupid mouse lag. Which I am getting when looking up and down with the mouse or even a gamepad which is strange.

But hey, when have Bethesda ever released a perfect bug free game? LOL...

8. Strider

Strider Active Member

GPU:
    I got sound problems too! Not the ones you mention though, my problem is that I can't use my volume control on my desk anymore. I have to exit Skyrim, turn up or down the volume and start it again to get the volume I want.

Also, back to performance issues, it doesn't seem to matter whether i put video options to high or low, getting same low fps. This is starting to look like something that really has got to do with the game and not our pc's.
    And 30fps is way to low under any circumstance for me :p, not acceptable.

I guess I just play and wait till they patch some performance upgrades or something.

Edit: Also another strange thing, when I use the launcher to auto detect hardware and set the settings, mostly it automatically sets to medium detail but often it sets to high too. It's not like my system is changing every minute or something and no background processes apart from the normal ones are running.

Edit 2: Does anybody know if FXAA will improve or decrease performance when AA is active? Can't find the information I need on internet.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  9. residentour

residentour Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I get hard dropping to 35-40 fps even
    %59 gpu usage and %20 CPU usage
    Game cannot use GPU power as well as the cpu. It is a console port.

10. Strider

Strider Active Member

GPU:
    I didn't pay for a console port!

If what you found out (gpu/cpu power) is right, then they better patch it fast!

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ultra here but with 4xAA instead of 8xAA. 60 fps constant (only played up until the first town) with edited .ini (for better graphics. Looks like Skyrim loves SB. first gen i5 and i7 rigs seem to struggle. Not sure why, the game only lids average.

12. BeeJAyP

BeeJAyP Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti Hybrid
    I get low GPU usage and low CPU usage (no core maxed out) as well as low fps in villages, when they aren't in sight I get 60fps stable.

For those with sound issues there's a post on the Bethesda forums about it along with other issues: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1256595-consolidated-potential-fix-thread-co-authordesi/

Also if you want vsync with minimal/no mouse lag, limit the fps to 59fps using something like DXTory, detailed here, I've used it for previous TES and Fallout games and it has worked great.

13. boerenlater

boerenlater Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent
    I got 99% gpu usage all the time. (1680x1050 most on low texture med 2xAA) and 50-60fps most of the time Im happy.

14. kevnb

kevnb Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    64hz bug again? If so turn off vsync until the unofficial fix comes out. Note you wont notice the issue using a crt monitor or a plasma. As noted above, limiting fps to 59 fps with dxtory should fix the issue. What happens is the game renders 64 fps but shows 60, not everyone will notice it but if you do notice it you will go mad.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  15. kevnb

kevnb Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    its the gamebryo engine, but heavily redone. Its had the same issues all along. It performs best on pc, but can give some issues. Best thing you can do is turn off vsync, or limit fps to 59 fps with dxtory, or you can wait for the stutter removed mod which has been avaialble for all gambryo engine games. The engine was originally made for older pcs with signle core processors and low resolutions.

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    it uses a different engine according to the developers called creation. I'm getting a constant 60 fps all ultra/ maxed sliders/ 2x MSAA so it's not an engine limitation.

17. TheSarge

TheSarge Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X
    Do not blaspheme, or I shall unleash the power of the holy Core i7 upon ye! Now repent and hug your gaming rig, and pray for a Socket 2011 motherboard for Christmas. Amen.

18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    it runs like sheit here too, 40-60fps in the beginning of the game.. all ultra, 4xmsaa; ~ 780mb vram.

The code is so poor it needs a SandyBridge cpu to render properly, fail..

19. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 970
    This is why you do not buy Bethesda games at launch. I learned my lesson long ago.

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Haha good thing i got SB