Skylake

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lillelj, Aug 7, 2016.

1. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Hello all

I'd like to get back into modding again after not touching pc's for about 8/9 years!
    And I'd like peoples thoughts and opinions on going for this new platform to work from or not.
    Sometimes it seems clear cut to me that i should, this being a new build from scratch. But then i find myself trawling ebay and other sites, and wondering if i should just get some older gen but still high performance kit and enjoy the savings.
    I'm not overly interested in overclocking and in all honesty i don't play many games aside from LoL :p and witcher 3. Main focus for me is the build process. I would like to do as much myself as i can. Sleeving/cooling etc.

So again. I'd like other peoples take on this. Outright performance isn't my goal, but, is a little future proofing worth doing right now or not?

Thanks
    Lillelj

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You won't go wrong with Haswell but Skylake's great too but I came from an i7 920 lol. How much would you save with Haswell? I usually prefer to go with newer tech unless it is prohibitively priced.

3. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    I would say go with Skylake...the price difference between Skylake and Haswell is like ~$15.

4. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    performance improvements gen after gen are so pathetic that you see people selling 2600k's for over 200$ on ebay, I recently had to order a few parts for a friend's build and to be honest I just decided to go skylake, the "savings" on haswell or anything else aren't worth it, if there is any savings at all

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The performance difference between Sandy/Ivy architecture and Skylake isn't that great considering that Skylake is three architecures later. Between Ivy Lake and Skylake there were Haswell and Broadwell. Broadwell was largely a failure which prompted Haswell Refresh.

Looking forward, Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake are both the result of Cannonlake turning out to be a failure, it will only be suitable for low powered devices. I'm sure there will be improvements with these, but Skylake is the base architecture. You may see benefits like going from Sandy Bridge to Ivy though.

If you can wait don't shy away from seeing how AMD Zen peforms. Even if you are anti-AMD, there's still the consideration of Kaby Lake.

6. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Ok. So general consensus, so far, is that the improvements haven't been all that great.

Which actually sways me more toward older stuff tbh. I wouldn't necessarily end up saving any money, as I'd just spend that money on aesthetics.

Having said that. Esphack, what you were saying interests me. For your friends build, for similar performance would you say you ended up spending around the same money for skylake?