SK Hynix: DDR5 by 2020 and Actively Developing DDR6

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    Great, I'm looking forward to SK Hynix price fixing harder than they already are. It felt nice seeing $80 16GB RAM kits listed for $250 right when I needed to buy one.

In real world performance outside of bottlenecked Ryzen scenarios, is this upgrade even going to matter?

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    This.

cryohellinc likes this.
  4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    Pretty much. + Ram speed actually matters in a very small spectre of scenarios. As you mentioned, Ryzen, being one of them.

Consumer wise, that is probably the only one people will have for daily use/gaming cases. With Zen 2 this problem should be either fully resolved or at the very least - significantly mitigated.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, I am going 3700X if it is 12C/24T. Or I may move to TR platform in case there are going to be well priced chips.
    (In the end, I have 4 fast memory sticks.)

As for DDR5. They are going to be here on time. But question is:
    "In what volume?"

I expect them to choke production even more than they are doing it with DDR4 just to have even crazier profit margins.

6. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Yeah, I also plan to update to the next Ryzens, but I'm definitely not waiting for this. Even if it comes the first January 2020. It will cost ridiculous amount over DDR4 (which are already overpriced) and it will probably offer only marginal advantage at first.

7. Venix

Venix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    Well and the sky is blue ! Also a prediction when ddr6 is almost ready to lunch i predict that they will be working on ddr7 , you heard it here first folks ;)

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Although these higher speeds will really benefit stuff like APUs, I'm worried about what the latencies will be like. They're multiplying with every generation. This is only made worse when 2T command rates are still common.

As far as I'm concerned, we need more memory channels to get more bandwidth, not higher frequencies.

9. Jonathanese

Jonathanese Member

GPU:
    STRIX 1070 1200/9200
    Absolute latencies have been decreasing or hovering the same for quite some time now. You sure you aren't talking about relative timings?

Latency just isn't speeding up as fast as frequency is, so the timings have to be increased. Remember that 1600MHz RAM with 8-8-8-15 timings would have roughly the same latency as 3200MHz RAM with 16-16-16-30 timings.

carnivore and schmidtbag like this.
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Huh. Seems you taught me something new. I looked more into this and it turns out you're right. In fact, many DDR4 DIMMs actually have better absolute latencies than older generations.

Really makes me wonder why RAM brands don't focus more on advertising absolute latency, considering how that is (in the end) more important than CAS or other timings.

11. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Just be happy there is a universal standard to classify the module speed, and we don't have to interpret every vendors claims of performance. :)

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Great. When I'm finally forced to replace my motherboard, I can replace my RAM also.... Nice to know....