Sin 2: The Espisodes.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Zapmaster, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Well I picked up this months PC Gamer and they had a preview of Sin 2. It doesn't look bad at all (Source engine) and I liked original Sin good enough. But here's the kicker. The game will be distributed via Steam in an episodic format. They state that each episode will be about 6 hours long and will cost around $20 U.S. So that would mean that 18 hours of gameplay will cost $60. Kind of steep considering that most retail fps have around 20 hours of gameplay for $49.99-$59.99. Sure the difference isn't that big, but considering that costs of; store shelf space/publisher/box/manual/cds all have to be calculated in retail realises it is kind of steep. With Steam practicly all the money is going to the developer and none else, so I was under expresion that they would charge less and not be such greedy bastards. Guess I was wrong. :rolleyes:

2. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    they still have to pay bandwidth but regardless i still think they are being a tad greedy.

i also blame all those people keep re-downloading and there has to be bandwidth for those people. those people that reformat every month or so and re-download everything they have in steam each time.

3. oxide

oxide Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980Ti
    If gamers were smart, they would just boycott everything steam-related. If everyone did so, valve would **** their pants. But, unfortunately, people are just plain dumb, and developers know that people will pay to use the system.

4. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Guest

I was just wondering how often most people reformat. I for one reformat about every year to six months. I'm going through it again this weekend, it's been about a year and it's time, stuff is getting messy. As for Sin I also read and saw the pics. I think I'm ganna try to pass on this one. There are way to many high quality FPS coming that really push convention thinking of what a FPS can be. The 20bucks for a stuttered release schedule of small sections of a game devolved on an outdated engine is DUMB. When is LC coming, who knows? Doug L keeps saying it's coming in just few weeks for months, almost a year. I'm sorry but...val:rpg:

5. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    leo laporte from the good days of the screensavers on zdtv/techtv once looked into how often you should reformat. he said on win95/98 it's best to reformat every couple months or so if you use your pc a lot. however he said on a modern nt based windows or linux os there should be no need to reformat and it's just a waste of your time to do so. your system slowing down because of crap building up may have been true in the win95/98 days but it no longer is.

6. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Guest

I don’t know… after at least a few dozen programs and driver going through a system in less than year, you end up using 250+mb of memory, you can not, match the performance of a newly installed OS using less then 100mb, it’s like a new car. As for Sin, Gabe could stand to miss out on a few doughnuts, I just figure I’ll just be helping him out. :)

PS. I must emphasize, No box, No CD, No manual, No pamphlets…we’re paying to reinstall and update and play if games come out to be $60+. I’ll take my box, CD and manual and be done with it for 50 bucks like the rest of the publishers thank you very much. Renting servers costs enough for people as is.

7. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    things that aren't needed aren't used by the os and paged to disk when other programs need memory. and if your paranoid about performance you can just uninstall all those programs and either manually go through the registry deleting all references to those programs or run a regclean program to get your system back to the way it was when you first installed the os.

there are a lot of pc enthusiast myths flying around. another popular one is hardware conflicts which again was true back in the win95/98 days but ceased to be a problem on nt based windows. winxp and for that matter linux is smart enough to handle itself well. almost any tweak/reformat you do is just a waste of time.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  8. simonknight

simonknight Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7800GS OC AGP
    Off topic, but I just want to throw my support in for Gram. I haven't formatted my HD since I got my motherboard and that was a year and a half ago. Like he said, just clean things yourself. Its a lot less hassle then backing everything up and reinstalling everything.

9. Hajile

Hajile Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d FX 5900xt
    Game:
    Sin2
    Gameplay Hours Officially Claimed:
    Cost:
    $20.00
    Cost per hour:
    $3.33

Game:
    Half Life 2
    Gameplay hours Officially Claimed:
    36-40
    Cost:
    $50.00
    Cost per hour:
    $1.25 - $1.38

Sin2 is a very expensive game. Especially in the long run. You may argue that HL2 is only 15 hours, but then the same would also apply to Sin2 and the actual game hours is bound to also be less. Actual gameplay hours can't be specified by the user because the amount of time required to finish varies from player to player. The only official gameplay hours recognized is the one officially announced by the developer since that is their target.

Frequency of formatting really depends on how far you mess with your PC. Normal usage doesn't require any kind of reformatting, WinXP can usually handle those (I've read a bit into how the OS works and it's pretty efficient actually). But for heavy users that are constantly installing and uninstalling everything, and especially programmers with unstable development packs, anything more than a month and you've got a seriously unstable system. Right now i've gone for almost 6 months without reformatting, overall PC performance has dropped around 5%-10% despite constant cleaning and optimizations. Try running system benchmarks and taking meticulous notes, then run them again once a month and compare.

@simonknight
    It's actually easier to simply reformat than troubleshoot. An hour is all it takes tops, and you can have everything reinstalled from scratch. I trouble shoot PC's of friends regularly and i can spend hours trying to figure out where they screwed up.

Choosing to spend hours trouble shooting and getting a migraine rather than simply reinstalling, is an ego thing that some enthusiasts can't seem to get past of. I used to be like that myself until i got a real job in the real world where the boss would be breathing down your neck because of the loss in production time from troubleshooting, i learned to simply use the more reliable method of cleaning a f*ckedup system very quickly.

One effective alternative is to simply make an image of your system harddrive. Reformat and reinstall everything once (Make sure it's clean, no viruses or stray files!), then make an image of it. Now rather than spend an hour reinstalling and typing registration codes, in the span of a few minutes, you can simply overwrite everything clean.

10. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 660 ti Jetstream
    Look in Task Manager processes, work out what exactly it is that you need on there and then go to misconfig to eliminate the startup loading of unnecessary crap. Honestly, it's a lot less hassle than formating the PC and start anew regularly...

11. Hajile

Hajile Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d FX 5900xt
    Not when you're dealing with someone who isn't technical. All those optimizations requires that you are intimately knowledgeable of your system. You can't expect the same from a regular user. Or even another experienced users PC. The solutions you're specifying assumes that you know about details of the problem beforehand. No trouble shooting is actually done.

Open up your harddrive please tell me the size of your windows folder.

12. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    although for the n00b it may just be easier to stick in the recovery cd they got with their pre-built pc when they have a problem and reformat for most people reformatting is just a waste of time. i don't know what sort of problems your talking about that require many hours of troubleshooting but most of the time i've just seen n00bs solve a problem they were having by uninstalling the offending program or getting their local tech wiz to take a look at their pc or going to help at a forum.

and where did you get that a system slows down when installing/uninstalling many programs? if you mean leftovers in the registry these should normally not affect performance but you can get regclean programs if your paranoid. i've done a lot of abusing to my windows, i've installed lots of programs on my current windows install many of which were beta programs, tweaked windows files, and i've never had to reformat. i've also never seen a dip in my benchmarks. and benchmarks aren't always indicative of real world performance.