Simple, non-combative question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Classic Satch, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I'm just curious as to why so many of you guys jumped on the 8800 series before waiting until ATI's R600's came out?

Don't get me wrong, if the 8800's are faster, I'll snag one. However, given the current state of CPU horsepower(nothing is coming out in the next few months faster than than Intel's Core Duo architecture), why not wait? The quad-core Kentsfield is nice but since no gaming software makes use of it, why bother, at least for the next six months?

To all of you guys who jumped on the 8800's(and who aren't extremely rich), why didn't you just wait a few months before buying? ATI came late to the party in the last generation but the X1900XT(XTX) were better than the 7900's, 7950 dual-GPU excluded. Sure, the 7900's might have squeezed just a few more frames but the IQ wasn't comparable.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  2. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    X1950XTX Crossfired 780/2280
    :flame: < it's coming....just wait for it....

3. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I've caught a tidbit about it. You know how. :mad2:

4. fajitasforme7

fajitasforme7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX
    dude for the same reason people jump on new stuff...some people can wait others cant..they need wats top right now...it really has nothng to do with wats better

5. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    The thing is, it's only logical for the people with mid-range cards to jump on the G80 bandwagon. Allow me to elaborate:

[Hypothetically speaking-->] Your current high-end card can handle any DX9 game at very good IQ settings at smooth framerates, let's say 80 fps (hypothetically of course). Now, a G80 comes on the scene and pulls 180 fps with the same settings in the same game. My question to you: Why in the name of Santa Claus would you buy a card that costs at least ~500 USD (for the GTS) or ~600 USD (for the GTX) when your current card already pulls very smooth framerates?! It's stupid unless you're super rich.

There are no DX10 games out right now, and people with high-end cards should wait until they come out for the following reasons:

1) We don't know how miserably the G80 might play DX10 games.... We've only seen DX9 performance, and it might be that DX10 performance will be crap by comparison.

2) You can save some serious cash by waiting; once DX10 games will have come out, the prices of the G80 will have dropped like a boulder off a cliff. Also, there might be better alternatives out by that time (G90/R700 anyone? ;))

For people with mid-range cards, it's a bit different: If you want to upgrade to a high-end card now, and you have a mid-range card, I'd almost say it's stupid to not upgrade to G80. Reason: The only competition that the G80 (8800GTS) has (ATI X1950XTX) is quite costly and does not offer the features that the 8800 offers.

6. Nishchal Sharma

Nishchal Sharma Master Guru

GPU:
    inno3d geforce (2X7800GT)
    Hey You make an intersting Point.....
    I remember the time when geforce fx series was launched...THE FIRST DX9 cards......It sucked really......what can we say about DX10 cards?.....who knows who will perform better?...
    But I have come to know that ATI worked with Microsoft for DX10.....

this doesn't mean nvidia will suffer.....Its just a point...

More over we cant measure the 8800gtx performence in dx10 for now...

wait for VISTA....and a DX10 game.....or DX10 3D mark.......
    Intersting thread dude.....;)

7. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    The answer to that would be that the 8800 (as powerful as it is) can not play a lot of games with ultra FPS at MAX everything detail.

For example: in FEAR at 1600X1200 4XAA & 16XAF set all detailes to Maximum and my FPS run from 85 to as low as 24. Thats with an OC @ 600/1850.

So you see if I had a lesser video card then I would not be able to play with these settings. The FPS with the G80 cards aren't as high as you think.

The GTS is only a hair faster than the X1950XTX and priced about the same. I got my GTS for $450.00

It's also nice to be set for DX10 when time comes.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  8. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    mainly down to the fact there in some kind of mental cycle perhaps?

9. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Well, the truth of the matter is that lots of people really enjoy bragging about having the newest and greatest.
    Simple as that. :)

10. otaku

otaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    could ask the same thing about the people who bought a64's when they first came out. because they are fastest now.