SimCity needs Internet connection to save the game

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Maxis revealed earlier this year that the upcoming SimCity game will require an allways-on Internet connection, but now new details arrive about how restrictive this requirement will be. In a Q&A ...

SimCity needs Internet connection to save the game

2. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    This what makes me not to buy games.

3. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    I might get another warning for this but i don't care..

RIP Sim City. **** YOU EA, **** YOU VERY MUCH!

4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Well i guess i wont buy the new SimCity after all...

Too bad, i was really looking forward for this game...

5. snorge

snorge Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 970 SLI
    What kind of pc gamer doesn't have a fairly stable internet connection in the first place?

6. Silent_Takedown

Silent_Takedown Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Well that's a terrible idea.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    That's what I'm wondering. Everyone is complaining about this but in reality it won't affect any of you.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    My life will officially be over with when this game gets released. :D

9. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    this is why i don't play many new game any more im no longer going to buy this, **** off EA

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why? What if I want to play on my laptop while traveling? What happens in a few years when they shut down the servers, like "The Saboteur" which rendered the entire game useless? What then? Plus there are tons of people here who talk about how their ISP's have data caps, which this just helps reach.

It's bull****. It does absolutely nothing other then be another barrier I have to face when I go to play a game. I don't want it and I'm not going to play the game for it. Even if a pirated version comes out, I don't want to even give them an excuse in the future, I just don't want to deal with that bull****.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012

11. russ1

russ1 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    Most countries outside the western world.

12. daffy101

daffy101 Active Member

GPU:
    670GTX with TT 2 cooler
    If the game is decent then yes i will buy it. I am not concerned if you need a permanent internet connection, you need one for MMO's so why not this? If it limits pirating and convinces EA its worth doing lets hope they do it with all new games if it gives us better games.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You seriously don't see the difference between an MMO and SimCity? You need one for MMO's because it's integral to the game design. Sim City has and should always be a single player game. If it has a multiplayer component, then obviously it's going to need an internet connection for that. But why is it required for me to build my city by myself?

It doesn't limit pirating, all it does is create bull**** for me, someone who buys the game.

The whole thing is retarded, their company just got from the NASDAQ 100. Their growth is going backwards. Their profits have been garbage. And yet they still insist on going against their own customers.

There is a reason why this happened:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/14umm1/we_are_the_simcity_dev_team_from_maxis_amaa/c7gnxdy

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Maxis is the new Ubisoft?

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You mean EA is the new EA?

EA owns Maxis and has for like years now.

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Yes its really crap, perhaps they will reconcider and make it a cloud save or something.
    Dont know if people werent expecting to play this game in single player mode though since its built for multiplayer.

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    What happens if you're in the middle of a game and your internet genuinely drops a packet or two.

Now, I've got a pretty good connection less than 600 meters to the POP, but for some reason I get the occasional period of packet loss or even internet dropping out completely for more than a second.

It's rare, but still, it's there - so if I'm playing SimCity and am in the middle of a session, the game will kick me out without warning and without saving the game?

Glad I still have SimCity2000 - oddly enough, I kinda still annoys me to this day that I need to keep the CD in the CD Drive to play it.

Always found it funny when I'd play SimCity2000 last thing at night and then boot the PC the next day only to have the message on the screen that says 'the CD in the CD Drive is not bootable media, you idiot - L2Boot'

18. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080Ti
    Welp, there goes my preorder. Thanks EA, but no thanks. I've had my share of horrid experiences with Ubisoft, whose servers kept on dropping connections (that's right their servers, not my ISP), which in turn ruined all the fun of playing. I refuse to buy games with such restrictions on principle. I love Simcity, it was the first game I ever bought for my PC all the way back in 1989 and have owned every iteration since, but this bs is just too much for this old fart to handle.

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    They've already said that occasional internet drops will not affect the game.

20. bobdude

bobdude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    cant wait to play been looking forward to this game