Silent Effiecent PCI Express Graphics card

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by grantschoep, Dec 21, 2008.

1. grantschoep

grantschoep Member

GPU:
    XFX 8500GT
    OK, I just purchased a new case and PS. I think I have my mind made up of everything else. Except for the graphics card.

So I currently run a 6year old Northwood Pentium 2.8ghz, with a "newer" Nvidia 7600 GS. I've been stuck with AGP on my old system.

Starting to try to research the PCI Express cards. I don't need huge grapichs performance, with my current system I still can handle most everything. I would love to find a silent graphics card, a little more uptodate than my 7600 GS, and also be efficent in power.

I also like the idea of buying from a company that is good about providing flash updates for changes in the future. So decent support is also an issue.

I'm also a pretty die hard NVIDIA fan, so I want an Nvidia. Sorry ATI.

Any simple "modern" silent cards for PCI express? I"m looking at spending about 100 USD

2. jthoov

jthoov Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX460 Sonic 1024MB
    8800GT, silent, cheap, cant play almost any game on the market (although not on highest settings) but still... good bang for the buck

its silent and cool, i should say lol

3. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
  4. grantschoep

grantschoep Member

GPU:
    XFX 8500GT
    Cool, I think I might try the 8800GT, I don't have many specs, seeing as all I have bought so far is a Mid-Sized chassis, and a 550 PS from PC Power and Cooling. I'm doing a slow roll on purchasing everything else. But am getting close now, just hoping the first week of 2009 brings some drops on prices.

I'm still basically going to target a decent nice MB, with basic CPU and Graphics card with the intent on upgrading later. Seeing as my current 2.8Ghz P4 Northwood and 7600 GS graphics card almost handle what I do

5. grantschoep

grantschoep Member

GPU:
    XFX 8500GT
    An XFK 8500 GT sucks or is broken...

Ok to follow up, I was impuslive and just wanted to buy the gear. I was planning on buying something cheap and upgrading to somethign in 6 months or so. I bought an XFX 8500 GT, I know they are bottom of the line, but I do little gaming other that WoW, and it was only 40 bucks at the time. It was a fanless card, which I liked, decent looking heatsink.

BAD IDEA.

The POS runs at ~75 degC at just displaying the WinXP desktop. I play WoW for an hour and its at 120 degC.(temps from RivaTuner... just monitoring, no overclock) At some point the machine crashes, and I also have ended up with a corrupt harddrive. CPU and MB temps all stay at a nice 30-36 deg C the whole time.

This is open case too, cool room around 68 deg F.

Is this just an 8500GT or do I have a defective card? I ordered it from NewEgg. Are they decent about returns? It was just 40 bucks so I may just skip the bother and buy something better.

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Think you should get either a ATI HD4830 or Nvidia 8800/9800GT

7. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670
    the words cool and silent just dont sound right with ATI. Kind of like the word Russian and strategy.

ATI does have some cool cards problem is they are louder then a moving train.

The 9800GT is the way to go for an affordable thin card, oddly enough the my 4850 runs warmer then some of the 9800's. I will still recomment the GTX 260, runs cooler and more silent then anything ATI caries.

8. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    ROFL lol

yeh well the coolest ATI card i could see is the HD4670.

9. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    I'm not calling you silly or anything, but you say that you've been stuck on AGP,
    you do know that for PCIe you'll need a new motherboard supporting PCIe, right?

10. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    yeh thats what i was thinking unless he has one of thoses Dual boards that have AGP & PCIE

11. grantschoep

grantschoep Member

GPU:
    XFX 8500GT
    Ok, I didn't word my first post very well, I did say I'd been stuck with AGP on my old system, and I was researching PCI Express as I was building a new system.

New box is looking nice, but the damned cheap 8500 GT is running at 80 deg C at idle!! I'm going to try to return it for something else. I can't imagine that is normal. Once I start playing a game it hits 120 degrees, even with the case open and a 120mm fan blowing on it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  12. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    ahh ok well the HD4830 i would take :)

13. grantschoep

grantschoep Member

GPU:
    XFX 8500GT
    Ok, updated post with my current stats on it on my tag to avoid confusion. My first post I didn't have anything but the case and PS yet. Got it all now. Just this darned hot graphics card.

14. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Ok i see lol

9600GT - $99.99

9800GT - $119.99

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  15. grantschoep

grantschoep Member

GPU:
    XFX 8500GT
    Thanks, going to try to return this XFX 8500GT. I was going for silent, but don't mind quiet. Just don't want one that sounds like a turbine or something.

So, are most brands pretty decent. I've been out of the market for so long. I've had good luck with a number of PNY boards, this was my first XFX board, but I don't think I really blame them. Just wondering if there are "Brands To Avoid Like The Plague!"

Argh... I may drive to Best Buy or something... I'm using my onboard graphics chip, "Intel G33/31" and it is so crappy! I just am tired of the 8500 locking up my computer. It did it twice during an update and munged up the works and had to reinstall