Siesta, good or bad?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticupidon, Oct 16, 2019.

?

Do you enjoy your afternoon siesta?

1. Yes, I feel like Superman after it

23.1%
  2. No, don't need it.

38.5%
  3. Siesta, what's that?

15.4%
  4. Umm, too busy to even considering it

23.1%
  1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    As soon as I moved in Spain as an expat, I was faced with this social phenomenon.
    People here take their siesta kinda religiously.
    After the lunch, grabbing some winks are somehow mandatory.
    Now, not everyone does it, because of the working schedule or school, or whatever time reason.
    But giving the choice, well, no one will say no.
    During summer, no one in their sane mind will wander outside between 14:00 and 17:00.
    So while cooling in the shade of your home, siesta kinda rolls in and everyone enjoys it.
    I realize that this is something rather geographically/socially located to Southern areas, but I'll ask:
    Do you have this or indulge yourself to a nice siesta?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I think its great if timed right. Unfortunately I am too focused to get planned work done, so it doesnt work for me.

Maybe once I am old and have more time, I’d love to have it. Right now, getting as much work done in a day and go home works better for me.

3. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac1070Mini 2Ghz+
    having been influenced by spaniards in PR... I could say that a nice nap after lunch especially on a hot day is a good thing, before the invention of AC in stores, and rampant capitalism... but that's another topic, in PR my father used to tell me the town shops closed for 2-3 hours on the harshest part of the heat of the day, so... 7-11 re open at 1-5 / 2-6 before getting dark and everybody going home with a bit of light

4. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    At work i'm always struggling to stay awake after lunchtime and in the rare cases where i had the chance to sleep 30mins i felt really fresh afterwards. Concentration comes back and work gets done faster & better imo.

5. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080TI 11gb
    Naps are always a good thing. I don't have time for such at my work, but to not get sleepy after lunch I usually have a very light lunch. In fact after a very light lunch I feel a lot more energetic.

6. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I suffer from Hypersomnia so I take medication to keep me awake all day, everyday. The drawback is that I can't really have a lie in, in the morning lol.
    Also when I saw the Siesta the first person I thought of was Manuel from Fawlty Towers.

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    I tend to get a solid hour around 3-4, defrags my mind.

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    No. There's nothing worse in the world than having to wake up, and having to do that once a day already is enough for me, thank you very much,

mbk1969 likes this.
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    IIRC, the lady who rowed across the atlantic ocean said she slept in short stints of 5-30 mins, but it wasn't "deep sleep". It was so light, that she was able to notice if the boat had veered off course by more than 15 degrees. Apparently, we as mamals operate best when we sleep in short cycles, as we are built to hunt under all hours of the night and day, so, we can sleep in short segments.

I would add that as I sleep for an hour in the PM, I do awaken refreshed and able to counter most issues as they are presented to me far better than if I only slept "fully" once per day. I always found it to be 'unworkable' if I slept only once per day, as I almost forces me to drain myself / exhuast myself on purpose, just so I can go to sleep at a very specific time of the day, instead of when I want/need to sleep.

Y'see? I'm of the opinion that if you feel sleepy, you should sleep - one shouldn't force onself to stay awake, drink coffee, go for a run etc, just so that one can get an entire 8 hours at night.

It's madness.

I sleep when I need to sleep.

Moreso...what if there is unwelcome noise pollution when you wnat to sleep? What if your neighbours are ****ing? You should always get shuteye whenever you can...on a train...in a taxi...waiting for windows to install...just close the eyes, sit back, rest yourself. Very important. Try it.

Also, no two central nervous systems work the same, so...what allows you to rest the best should be something for you to decide.

airbud7 likes this.
  10. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    [​IMG]
    you funny Loobyluggs

fantaskarsef and mbk1969 like this.

11. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Report siesta! Bring the ban hammer upon 'er! :mad:

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I made a custom ear plugs specially for sleep, and they all can f*** simultaneously (even in my own room) - I sleep as a baby.
    And seriously, the quality of sleep with ear plugs is like in old childhood days. I even wake up in several minutes before alarm clock, not half an hour after.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    airbud7 and anticupidon like this.
  13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    I saw/read a few studies on this over the years and it appears up to 30 minutes can really help if you need it.
    But... if you sleep longer it can upset your sleep system.

I sleep well at night and dont want to mess with this, and I rarely feel tired in the afternoon (only after big food).
    Perhaps if I stop sleeping well I will look at doing this, but for now its not on my agenda.

airbud7 likes this.
  14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    If my night before hand has had really awful sleep i'll for sure around 5-6pm to sleep for an hour or two to stay awake until normal bed time, but normally nah, it'd mess with my sleep.

It often hits like 7-8pm, and I know if I fall asleep then I can't get real sleep before work next day.