Sick to death of this 670

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Zarich, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Zarich

Zarich Member Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy GC 670
    I have only had it a few months.
    The stupid card stops boosting at random. Sometimes if I play around with evga precision the boost completely dies. Sometimes it won't even hit it's base speed and sits at 810mhz. In the end I finally have to reboot my whole damn computer to get it to work again.

any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    1.Try finding some 670 specific drivers and see if it acts the way it should.

2. Reset bios back to stock.

3. Re-install current drivers or drop back to 318.xx set as those seem to have been the last lot of more stable drivers, going by the current driver threads anyway.

Also, I thought this thread title said Stick Death.

3. Zarich

Zarich Member Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy GC 670
    I am using 314.22s
    It is using the bios the card came with.

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Not enough detail here to suggest anything. What games are not boosting? For example, Fallout 3 runs at 875mhz on my TITANS because it doesn't load the GPUs enough to cause it to clock up higher. Running more AA and setting 'Prefer Max Performance' in the game profile in the Nvidia Control Panel can help alleviate this issue.

5. StealBalls

StealBalls Banned

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Have you set prefer max performance?

Also are you monitoring GPU usage, if you use vsync or FPS cap is maybe what your playing not using 60% or more GPU power? as this would also cause no boosting I think.

6. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    JetStream 980Ti
    Maybe try updating the gpu bios

///

make sure you download the correct one for your card.

Edit: scrap that I read it as you had a evga 670 :/

7. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Or stop playing around with evga precision. Try MSI AB if you can`t avoid playing around...

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Might even be a Motherboard issue, isn't he bottlenecked with his current setup?

10. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -----
    Yes, he is bottlenecked, card with that CPU is maybe running at 50 percent of maximum capacity, but that doesnt explain the weird graphic card behavior.

Zarich : Have you using this tutorial for disabling/enabling gpu boost?
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1267918/...-disable-boost-fixed-clock-speed-undervolting

Im using this (.bat files for switching with different clocks that are best for my card) and it works perfectly.

11. Zarich

Zarich Member Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy GC 670
    I use EVGA precision to run a custom fan profile.
    Because Galaxy likes to let their cards go above 70c.
    I think it may be precision, because I did not run precision and just let my card hit 70c and after a reboot it doesn't get stuck.
    I also found if I launch precision and just don't adjust anything beyond my initial adjustment it seems to run okay. The problem seems to occur if I mess with the gpu offset at all in precision outside of initial.
    For example.. lets say I hit it to +40 but don't adjust power target it will boost just fine to the new value.. if I touch the offset at all after that it won't boost anymore unless I adjust the power target.. and then only certain power target values work.. i.e. +113 will work but +115 will cause it not to boost.
    Then at some point it won't boost at all anymore. So for example BF3 on ultra will only go to 1006 (cards default clock) and I will feel it in game.. so then I have to reboot.

Pretty frustrating.

12. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    even though they are basically the same program...

13. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Use GPU-Z and look at the sensors page while you are in a game like BF3 where it throttles and check the perfcap reason. If it is Util then its just because the card isn't being fully utilised so it downclocks.

14. lenne

lenne Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    Dood are u serious ? ive abandoned my Q9600 ( was sitting @ 3,3Ghz ) a year ago cuz it was holding my 4870 back in BF3, its nowhere fast enough to feed ur gpu as much data as it should. go figure what happens...

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Do they share the source code?

16. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    I believe I read somewhere that they are by the same author hence why they are so feature similar.

17. nick0323

nick0323 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 Jetstream OC
    My old GTX470 was bottlenecked by my Q9450 @ 3.2GHz. I gained massive FPS by jumping to an i5.

But bottleneck aside I've had my GTX670 for a month now with no issues relating to the overclock but then again I haven't done any overclocking on it as it boosts to 1150MHz on the engine automatically and stays below 65 degrees.

I can't help much with EVGA Precision as I've never used but have you actually tried MSI Afterburner?

18. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Reset your NCP back to defaults.

Uninstall Precision and use GPU-z to monitor your in-game gpu usage while at the same time monitoring your cpu usage in Task Manager.

It’s possible your cpu is limiting your gpu usage in specific scenarios.

Sometimes (rare) Precision and AB require a uninstall\reinstall to function properly again, especially after switching drivers.

19. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This is because Kepler cards only boost (to max) when its =< 70c and when its below its TDP value. This means your card will reduce its boost state after it hits 70c, and even more the hotter it gets. If you touch the base clock, you are effectively reducing the amount you can boost because the temperatures will rise in relation to a positive offset value. Some games stress the GPU more and hence you may hit the TDP even before you hit the temperature "throttle". If you are that bothered by boost, you should like someone said, force the state with Nvidia Inspector. Furthermore, a framerate cap or CPU bottleneck may cause your card to not boost at all because it is starved of data/or handicapped.

The reason rebooting works is probably because it has idled enough to cool down. BF3 multi player is extremely CPU intensive, I get a massive FPS boost (regarding min-fps) between 3.0 and 3.8ghz on my i7, when I tried the 670 in a overclocked Q6600 system, it was basically unplayable (20~50fps). Furthermore, BF3 is quite intensive on the GPU when it isn't bottlenecked, meaning you will probably hit the temperature/TDP limits of boost when you are in lower player count servers or when there aren't as much things going on.

20. flexy

flexy Member Guru

GPU:
    Riva 128
    Do NOT overclock the core using AB or EVGA Precision, there is no point since the max. you could get would be maybe 40 or 50 anyway. You can/should overclock memory tho in AB.

There is no point since in the BIOS, the boost table USUALLY has already plenty of headroom which is often not even reached. For example, for my Gigabyte 660 TI OC the max in the BIOS boot table is already 1320.

Run the card w/ stock BIOS and no OC in AB and then observe temps and maximal clocks it goes in games like Tomb Raider whatever...and then see how far it boosts.

What you CAN do if you your temps are REASONABLE, trying to unlock BIOS w/ Kepler Bios Tweaker and increase available voltages a few notches (caution, card will then also boost higher in the boost table)..but then you will also have to observe whether it's actually stable. (Eg. if i unlock my BIOS and give it 1.21V it boosts to 1320, OBVIOUSLY no stable since not many Kepler cards can't make 1320@core, not even with 1.21)

Again..leave AB and do NOT add +core in Afterburner, it's pointless and will only cause problems.

Edit: "Reasonable" temps would be below or not higher than 75C in demanding games like TR...but IN GENERAL GPU "Boost" will *always* work against you, it will ALWAYS throttle down at some point, you will either reach Power Target or temp or whatever reason.

Also..make sure you have the settings in the drivers/CPanel right at "max performance".

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013