1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should upgrade to an 8700K

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by nateluthje, Nov 8, 2017.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Hi all,

I was just wondering if I should upgrade to an 8700K. I currently have a 6700K running @4.9ghz. I use my computer for a gaming machine (sometimes uni), but mainly gaming. Will I see that much of a performance increase in single core performance, because most games rarely utilise more than 4 cores. I understand that only "some" games are starting to utilise a 6-8 core processor. It would mean I would have to upgrade my MB which is money I don't have. No point in getting a 7700K, from the reviews I have read. I'm thinking of upgrading my system late next year anyway - end of 2018-early 2019, and was wondering if an 8700K is worth the outlay (with the new MB) at this point in time.

Thank you everyone for your replies/help.

Cheers,

Nate

2. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Nope!...8700k is bad ass but 6700k ain't no slouch either (especially@4.9ghz)...I doubt if you could even tell the difference.

JaxMacFL likes this.
  3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    You just said you don’t have money to buy a motherboard. That should answer your question

JaxMacFL likes this.
  4. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti GAMING

5. superpoeper

superpoeper Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    i am an owner of a 8700K running @4.7 on air cooling.
    i come from a i7 920 running @3.7 Ghz and i notice almost 0 (read: ZERO) difference in all the current games i play...

i think the experience will be almost the same for you... Very small differences...
    So if i were in your shoes and money is somewhat an issue...
    SAVE your cash for another year or maybe even longer...

just my 0.02

6. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Thanks to everyone that posted a reply. From what I have read, there is little difference between 6700K @4.9ghz and 8700K. I have made up my mind and will save up for a NVIDIA Volta video card instead when they come out next year.

airbud7 likes this.