Should upgrade to an 8700K

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by nateluthje, Nov 8, 2017.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Hi all,

I was just wondering if I should upgrade to an 8700K. I currently have a 6700K running @4.9ghz. I use my computer for a gaming machine (sometimes uni), but mainly gaming. Will I see that much of a performance increase in single core performance, because most games rarely utilise more than 4 cores. I understand that only "some" games are starting to utilise a 6-8 core processor. It would mean I would have to upgrade my MB which is money I don't have. No point in getting a 7700K, from the reviews I have read. I'm thinking of upgrading my system late next year anyway - end of 2018-early 2019, and was wondering if an 8700K is worth the outlay (with the new MB) at this point in time.

Thank you everyone for your replies/help.

Cheers,

Nate

2. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Nope!...8700k is bad ass but 6700k ain't no slouch either (especially@4.9ghz)...I doubt if you could even tell the difference.

JaxMacFL likes this.
  3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    You just said you don’t have money to buy a motherboard. That should answer your question

JaxMacFL likes this.
  4. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti GAMING

5. superpoeper

superpoeper Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    i am an owner of a 8700K running @4.7 on air cooling.
    i come from a i7 920 running @3.7 Ghz and i notice almost 0 (read: ZERO) difference in all the current games i play...

i think the experience will be almost the same for you... Very small differences...
    So if i were in your shoes and money is somewhat an issue...
    SAVE your cash for another year or maybe even longer...

just my 0.02

6. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Thanks to everyone that posted a reply. From what I have read, there is little difference between 6700K @4.9ghz and 8700K. I have made up my mind and will save up for a NVIDIA Volta video card instead when they come out next year.

airbud7 likes this.