Should PBO be set to "Auto" or "Enabled" in the BIOS to turn it on? Thanks!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by BlindBison, Apr 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Hi there all,

I recently updated my BIOS and have a 3900X CPU (board is X570 ASRock Phantom Gaming 4).

To enable PBO should I leave the setting in the BIOS at its default value of "Auto" or should I switch it to "Enabled"? There is also an "Advanced" setting, but I'm mostly looking for a "set it and forget it" kind of approach.

Thanks!

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Enabled means it overclocks it a little by itself doesn't it?

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Set and forget is Enabled I think. Advanced lets you set parameters manually.

Auto ie. default is likely Off.

BlindBison likes this.
  4. CYP3ORG

CYP3ORG Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2060
    From what I know, also recalling to what I've read some time ago, enabling PBO on zen3, or zen2 for that matter, does the same thing as setting it to "Auto".
    It boosts to advertised single-core speeds, regardless the setting.
    Also, I did not see any changes to multi-core on my system when PBO is enabled, so "Auto" is the way to go for me.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Posted this in the other thread already, but I'll state again here that PBO is not doing anything useful. All you need is PB (Precision Boost), which is enabled by default. PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) works on top of PB but doesn't give anything in any of the tests I've done. I read up on it online, and other people have the same experience with it: it doesn't do much.

I believe it increases voltage without any kind of substatial performance benefit to justify it, so in my eyes, it's a setting that's best disabled. I don't want to overvolt anything when there's no perf benefit.

Edit

Here's a test of PBO published by Gamer's Nexus:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

"Especially in light of the LN2 results we’ve gathered so far, it seems like PBO is pointless. The limits that it’s raising aren’t limits that are restricting performance."

"We still haven’t discovered a single scenario in which PBO makes a meaningful difference in performance."

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    big ROBOT bill and BlindBison like this.
  6. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Thanks!

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    PBO is not completely pointless since it can be used to get lower temperatures, found it a bit easier to get it done that way instead of figuring out how to adjust voltages, multipliers and frequency values.
    Didn't use PBO manual adjustments with 3600 nor 3700x, but have to use it with 5800x to keep it cool, but tbh. that CPU is pita to tame, had to disable some powersaving options and even disable HAGS to get rid of small frequent freezes in some games.
    Intel platforms are a lot easier to get running....

EDIT
    Seems disabling PBO, enabling powersavings and ECO mode on top works better, but still hits max 75C without a temp limit set.
    If it can go below 70 with the new AIO it might be ok I guess, might change fan profile to spin up to 100% much later.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  8. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    PBO auto doesn't( or just enabled) do alot ( almost nothing ).

PBO2 with negative curve (undervolt) changes alot.

upload_2021-4-25_14-48-54.png

Problem is , PBO can interfere with high FCLK clocks and cause WHEA errors . Also with limits disabled ( or set very high) my 5600X can go above 100W in CB20....

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    Curve Optimizer introduced some issues on my end, noticeable as small freezes in some games when AMD Cool & Quiet + Global C States where enabled, also got errors when running memtest with Curve Optimizer only, I could probably make it work but don't feel like spending a lot of time on it, such crap has to be set as easy as on an Intel platform.

I ended up running with this instead since all I want is lower max temperature while still having the rest work as before:
    [​IMG]
    Cinebench difference should be minimal according to others who run their Zen3's like that.
    Didn't notice any performance difference with the Thermal Throttle Limit either, so as long as everything runs as before I can't see any point in benchmarking it trough on my end.

10. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080ti
    PBO is "witchcraft" shenanigans forget what you've seen from or heard from youtubers

PBO is a weird mix of underclocking and optimization that somehow give you better result while "cooling" down you CPU based on my tests on threadripper last year
    that or....cinebench scores are a fraud just like VW emissions tests just check my video and my screenshots below :eek:

last time I checked PBO was black magic, it only had one downside for me in the end idle temps were stupid high, higher than running cinebench as you can see in my video (recorded with obs on the same computer so obviously dont mind the scores) but if that behavior is still there and real, it makes PBO a game changer for a work computer with high cpu usage all day long, half the watts close to same performance

expect a complete feedback and "how to make my ryzen behave normally" aka like an Intel guide
    because I've got a 5950x incoming ;) and from the comments I read 5950x have all the same problems it took me 3 months to fix with threadripper : high idle temp, temperature spikes etc..
    at least now I know what to do

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 1:29 PM
    BlindBison likes this.

11. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    interesting, thanks for your comment. The 5950X is a beast of a CPU, awesome you're getting one.