Should I wait until Volta - 2080 or wait until Volta 2080Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by nateluthje, Jan 11, 2018.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Hi all,

Just pondering a question. I know the Volta (2080) will be released soon, but I want to run a single card that can perform at 4K ultra. I bought 2 x 1080's so I can game at 4K, just not ultra in the latest games. This is fine for me at the moment.

I am thinking of waiting until the NVIDIA Volta Ti version becomes available in the hope that I can do away with SLI and all the problems that come with it. I'm expecting the 2080Ti to become available in late 2019. As I already have 2 x 1080 and can game at 4K - but not ultra settings, on some games and I was wondering if it is worth the wait until the 2080Ti becomes released instead of buying a 2080 card instead.

I really would like do do away with SLI- and have a single card that can run 4K ultra. I am prepared to wait as I can game at 4K 52-55 fps in most games, just setting up SLI has been a pain.

So my question is this :- should I buy a Volta when it comes out (which is fairly soon), or wait until the Enthusiast version- I'm assuming 2080Ti.

Thank you for all of your comments.

Nate.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The best idea, as always, would be to wait and see what the "2080" can do. Only then you know if a single "2080TI" will work fine with your 4K ultra settings. Just don't expect miracles.

(Haven't we gotten discussions like these EVERY TIME a new product cycle begins? Feels like it...)

cryohellinc likes this.
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Who said it will be Volta? As far as we know, it may as well be a Pascal refresh. Regardless as fantaskarsef suggested, wait and see. I doubt you will be able to push something like 120 fps stable on Ultra settings @4k with Volta/ Pascal 2000 series. Most likely that will be achievable only while using next gen cards with SLI, however as you noted yourself SLI = issues. Had SLI myself for three generations, and support for it is going down the hill with only a handful of titles properly implementing / supporting this tech now.

4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Which is ironic, as SLI is more needed now, than ever before...

5. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    True, 4K and 120hz are being a thing, in my case sli with hb bridge is going pretty well, but alas we should expect nvlink or something better that finally fixes sli because as they say it have some big issues.

6. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    I bought a gtx 1080, but ti wasnt on the marked when i needed to upgrade.
    Now, i think im gonna wait for the ti. Im not gonna pay high end price for a mid tier card again if i dont have to. Im running things in 4k, even tough about selling my 1080 to buy a ti. But i dont bother..

7. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    At current GPU pricing I wpuld wait anyway. Just bought 1080 non ti for that(price) reason to keep up trough hard times...Same day price went up +40E, and Ti I was almost convinced to buy +100...

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, im using the HB sli bridge aswell, but the issue is that games from 2017 generally dont support sli, and those few that does, has really poor scaling... even assassins creed origins (a series which had great sli scaling with every title until then) doesnt support sli... battlefront 2, which is essentially just reskinned battlefield, has horrible sli scaling (roughly 40-50%, where all previous titles had 90+ %).

Games from 2016 and earlier (such as witcher 3, gta 5, bf1) they run SUPERB with sli + gsync, but the industry seems intent on killing multi gpu. I am quite certain that nvidia plays a part in this, likely to force people to buy a more expensive single gpu, rather than buying 2 cheaper ones, and getting better performance with those 2 cheaper gpus. Their profit margins are after all higher on a single gpu for 1200 $, rather than two gpu's for each 600 $.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's because most modern games are using techniques to improve performance that are adverse to multiple GPUs. For example a lot of modern effects use previous frame data in order to cut out work in calculating the next frame - that's harder to do when the previous frame data is on a completely different GPU. Couple that with the mGPU setups requiring a ton of driver work to begin with and adoption rate of mGPU setups being in the teens - it's just not worth the effort.

I should also point out that when SLI/xfire became a thing people were saying the exact opposite thing you are now - that Nvidia/AMD could make faster single cards but they are splitting them for increased profits. Realistically way less people are choosing a Titan X over SLI 1080's then choosing SLI in the first place. Nvidia's savings is in the reduced driver effort.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    It's really easy. If you got da ca$h, just buy whatever's best at the moment, so when 2080 comes out, just buy it. Then, when 2080Ti comes out, sell your 2080 and buy that one too.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I know this is the case with several unreal engine 4 based games, but frostbite (at least to my knowledge) doesn't make use of any of these techniques. As a matter of fact, in the beta of battlefront 2, one could use the sli bits from bf1, and get perfect sli scaling, but now in the final game, no matter what you do, sli scaling sux... and as we all know, ea's "beta" is more of a demo of a finalized game, than an actual beta, so i doubt they would have changed anything in the rendering pipe, which would have this effect on sli scaling.

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    It was just the same with BF1 beta and BF4 SLI bits (back then I was running 980 SLI). Worked perfectly during the beta and until the final game's SLI bites were released, afterwards it just deteriorated, to the point that SLI was broken as well as produced SLI exclusive bugs (which made me not play BF1 for months).

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Are you using Txaa in BF1? If you do, then dont, and you will have perfectly working sli in bf1.

Im quite certain that is the issue in battlefront 2 aswell... it's commonly known, that temporal aliasing tanks performance when using multi gpu - in battlefront 2 beta, you were free to choose whatever AA option you wanted (off, fxaa, txaa), but now txaa is forced, with no option to turn it off... which is just plain stupid! I've complained about that on the official forums, but as one would have expected, EA just plain ignored it.

14. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    An OCed 1080Ti holds 60fps without issue in the games ive run in 4k, Res Evil 7, CODWW2 as an example (both above 60fps at ultra settings.

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm not playing BF1 anymore, and I'm currently running a single 1080Ti, but thanks for the tip.
    Yes, that's what they do, usually it takes some time for games to work properly after release (been like that with almost every BF game since BF3's release).

16. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    No really issues with both games and TAA+SLI ...at least not for my sli @ 1080p all settings max.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    they can wait another 8 months to year, seeing i just did my set-up from evga 1060gtx ssc to a evga 1070ti black, this will be first time since 670 that i returned i spent more then 300 for card. thought i sure now that i did this 2~3 months after i get the 1070ti they will announce that sub 300$ cards with 8 tflop

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    We cannot tell you what you should do. Especially since we lack the information to give you an informed opinion. Generally, SLI support has been declining. I used SLI from the GTX 8800 up to the GTX Titan SC at $1000K ea chasing those FPS...then came the Batman series and other titles with months of SLI issues being somewhat resolved or never fixed issues. So I went single GPU 980 Ti. What a relief. Granted, there are titles that currently scale well with SLI. We don't know your gaming preference (another data point we lack for an informed opinion). Right now the best option IMO is to wait and see...my own personal preference as the owner of a 1080 Ti is to wait for the next iteration of the Ti...it's hard to go wrong with the flagship if you have the $$$.

pegasus1 likes this.
  19. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Strongly agree but timing, follow up tech, currency fluctuations and unknowns/anomalies like mining make an impact on whether buy a flagship is or will be a great move. In hindsight the 1080Ti whilst hideously expensive, has proven to be a great buy and will remain an extremely competitive 4k capable card for a while yet (unless some crazy new IQ tech appears).

20. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Whats the point in 4k @ 120 fps or higher if u cant even manage that with 1 gpu ?
    Even the witcher 3 with msi gtx 1080 ti gaming x in sli in full hd max settings wont reach 144 fps all the time.

SLI is still future in my opinion, i just hope that the new game metro exodus will support it to, like it did with metro 2033 and last light they have excellent sli profiles.
    I am not going to waste 900 euro for a gtx 2080 if it cant even reach a stable fps above 60 on 4k, unless u sli it.