1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I wait for Threadripper2 or buy the 1950X now@ $750?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by BigMaMaInHouse, Jun 17, 2018.

  1. BigMaMaInHouse

    BigMaMaInHouse Member Guru

    Messages:
    137
    Likes Received:
    35
    GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    Hi all,
    I am going to upgrade my i3 6100(LOL) and I am considering buying 1950X, need max cores/$$ for Visual studio (some program I work on takes ~20~30 min on i3 6100) and Time is $$ :).

    I saw 1950X on amazon selling for 750 usd, but I remembered that TR2 coming soon, should I wait?
    Is 16 core 2950X coming too or just new 24/32 core models? (not in my budget).
    Also I was considering buying the Gigabyte X399 Designare EX -what do you think?

    if there will be no 2950X, should I still keep waiting only to get new X399 MB? or the current MB is OK?

    Thanks in Advance !
     
  2. angelgraves13

    angelgraves13 Master Guru

    Messages:
    640
    Likes Received:
    15
    GPU:
    eVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Wait...
     
    norton likes this.
  3. Elder III

    Elder III Ancient Guru

    Messages:
    3,449
    Likes Received:
    101
    GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB
    If you are near Microcenter they have the 1950X for about $630.... they tend to have a couple cheap combo deals with motherboards too.
     
  4. BigMaMaInHouse

    BigMaMaInHouse Member Guru

    Messages:
    137
    Likes Received:
    35
    GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    Unfortunately I can't wait so decided to go for 2700X+ ASUS X470 Prime Pro, but I think in next 6 month I will give this RIG to my brother(has 6700K) and I will upgrade to 2950X 16c, I thinks it better because all the Bios updates will be done.
    I can't believe that we came to this day the we say "Unfortunately" for buying only 8 Core CPU, lol, 2 years ago who thought we could consider buying 8 core CPU it 4C prices :).
     

  5. angelgraves13

    angelgraves13 Master Guru

    Messages:
    640
    Likes Received:
    15
    GPU:
    eVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I'll wait for Threadripper 3 and a new motherboard so it can have PCI-Express 4.0 and almost no latency (for the infinity fabric).

    My 5960X will last me fine until then anyway. Waiting for 7nm everything.
     
  6. BigMaMaInHouse

    BigMaMaInHouse Member Guru

    Messages:
    137
    Likes Received:
    35
    GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
  7. Celcius

    Celcius Member

    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    26
    GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    Congrats and good luck with your new platform! I have to believe you'll be pleased with the difference between this and the i3 for rendering.
     
    BigMaMaInHouse likes this.
  8. BigMaMaInHouse

    BigMaMaInHouse Member Guru

    Messages:
    137
    Likes Received:
    35
    GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    I am sure, this i3 was temporary build(sold old i7 @ 4.2Ghz with AIO water cooling) before Ryzen release and later I decided to wait till this week.
    The hard part is to wait for the weekend because it's Exams time and CS is **** :eek:.
     

Share This Page