Should I Upgrade to a PCI-E Motherboard?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by BeakerMan, Feb 11, 2005.

1. BeakerMan

BeakerMan Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT
    Ok, I currently have a MSI Neo2 Platinum. After looking on newegg I saw that I can get a PCI-E Motherboard for about the same as my Neo2 Platinum. I cant return the motherboard I have but I could always sell if for around $100. Would it be useful to upgrade to a PCI-E or SLI Motherboard?

2. BeakerMan

BeakerMan Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT
    If I got the SLI Motherboard would 2 6600GT's be better than a PCI-E 6800GT or a AGP 6800GT?

3. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2070S
    Nope, they run about the same. Also SLI does not work in many games meaning you would only be running 1 6600 GT in those games. A 6800 GT is a much better investment in the long run, you can always then upgrade to 6800 GT SLI in the future.

4. BeakerMan

BeakerMan Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT
    So what your saying is go ahead and sell my current motherboard and invest in a SLI motherboard and start out with one 6800GT and then upgrade to another one later? BTW how much is a PCI-E 6800GT

5. Terwin

Terwin Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA PCIe 7800GTXKO 540/1305 SLI G7
    Er, SLI works in most games. You just have to make a profile for it. People are spreading this information out of ignorance and 3rd hand information.

6. BeakerMan

BeakerMan Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT
    So its it worth upgrading to SLI?

7. SAW

SAW Guest

IMrather-unHO, it is not worth it right now for those of us running socket 939 systems. Two 6800GT in SLI produce around 80000 aquamarks and u can get 70000 with your set up right now Beakerman. Your set-up might need a little more RAM (go 1gb!), but other than that the top engines in the world, Doom3 and Halflife2, are super smooth on my system at 1600x1200 with EVERYthing maxed (oh, and Farcry too) this will keep u busy for the next few years at least (to the end of socket 939) where u could always just get the best 939 part at the end of it's cycle and be good to go for sure. these two games have engines that will dominate games for the next 2-3 years. If your system can handle them now, you are set.

SLI is workable to be sure but there is no savings or performance gain to get that system to get the same level of performance. 2x6600gtSLI are the same speed as 1x6800gtAGP at 1600x1200.

I will consider SLI only when AGP parts are not available that are as fast, or at the very least, not until 939 is obselete.

It will be screaming fast fur sure, one way or the other!!

SAW, out :cool:

8. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    If you want value then I'd consider a 6600 GT and Nforce 4 board. I'd guess this would be quite fine for you if you're still plugging along on a ATI 9000. A 6600 GT should be quite up to anything as long as you don't go crazy on the AA+AF. If you want high performance for a bit more a premium then you can go SLI with a single 6800 GT.... but I wouldn't unless you seriously think you might be willing to spend another $200-$300 or so on a second one in the future. Here's about a zillion test results, you can decide for yourself on one 6800 GT vs. SLI 6600 GTs. Of course, results may vary depending on hardware, software setup, etc.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/gffx/sli-2.html

Oh yeah, another issue is that there is still a price premium on PCI-e 6800s... Looks like the PCI-e 6800 GT is about $75 more.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  9. BeakerMan

BeakerMan Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT
    I think im going to upgrade to a PCI-E motherboard but probably not a SLI. Is there a big performance difference between AGP and PCI-E?

10. Terwin

Terwin Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA PCIe 7800GTXKO 540/1305 SLI G7
    There is no real performance difference with PCIe and AGP atm as far as single video cards. I really think that for $20 more keeping yourself open for SLI later on in the socket-939 lifespan would be a good idea. I agree with some of the current arguements about SLI but 9 months down the road SLI might be even more mindblowing with the next nvidia rehash. You might think back on this purchase now and realize you boxed yourself in as to your upgrade options. Paying $20 more for that SLI availablility now might save you $150 later on should you change your mind on going dual-card and have to buy another mobo again. You'll notice I'm only 1 PCIe video card too in my SLI system atm. My options are wide open now if I want to pick up more performance in the future, vs having to upgrade motherboard and video, all I have to do now is drop in a second video card.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005

11. BeakerMan

BeakerMan Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT
    Yeah, I think im going to go SLI. I just recently paid off my car so in the next few months ill have plenty of moeny to work with. Ill probably sell my MSI Neo2 Platinum here on the forums or maybe on newegg. It has never been used but it out of the box. How much do you think I could sell it for. As for my SLI upgrade here is what I think im going to get.

GIGABYTE GA-K8NXP-SLI
    AMD 64 3000+ Socket 939 Winchester
    2x 512MB Crucial Ballistix
    XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT

Approx. Price - $1050

The power supply I currently have is fairly high wattage but its a POS brand. Do you think I should upgrade to a better power supply and If so what brand/model.

-Blake

12. BeakerMan

BeakerMan Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT
    Actully after thinking about it im just going to stick with what I have. If SLI gets better in the next year ill probably just build a new computer or upgrade the one I currently have. Here are the specifications of my computer.

MSI Neo2 Platinum
    AMD 64 3000+ Winchster
    XP-90 Heatsink W/ 92mm Panaflo
    2x 512MB Crucial Ballistix
    6800GT or 6800Ultra

13. SAW

SAW Guest

rock on bro! :rock:

14. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Good setup... I might recommend different RAM though, something like PQI turbo or Patriot XBL.... I think it might be a little bit better at overclocking. Ballistix is good though, though...

15. BeakerMan

BeakerMan Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT
    I chose the Ballistix ram because of the Anandtech review of different Memory. Ill get this or the OCZ Rev2 ram.

16. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Well, here's something for you...

http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=53&pid=2

Anything with both TCCD chips (all modules in the roundup) and brainpower PCBs (in this one, just OCZ and PQI) should be able to get upwards of 285 MHz with relaxed timings fairly reliability. With tight timings I don't think it matters so much, but they should be as good as anything else.

Ballistix isn't in this one, unfortunately, as it has micron chips. But I'm pretty sure they tend to do a bit worse...