Should I upgrade to 16GB RAM?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Blackfyre, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Would be great if someone can inform Hilbert Hagedoorn about this... I have pictures of the conversation too if it's needed for evidence. I have tweeted it below to Gabriel Aul. But yes, Hilbert should first confirm this by doing it on a similar motherboard first if he wants to write an article about it, and see if he can duplicate what happened with me. I updated my Z97X Gaming GT from the F6 BIOS to the F7 BIOS, and changed the RAM, that's all I done.

https://twitter.com/POL1T1CS/status/656828304897392640

2. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Master Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Windows activation was always tied to Motherboard ID, but at the times of Windows XP you could simply call Microsoft to reactivate it. As I understand, the problem is that they cannot reactivate new licence keys given to people who upgraded from Windows 7, 8, 8.1 to Windows 10. At least at this time.

I hope Microsoft will solve this issue, cause I plan to upgrade to Windows 10 in 6 months or so. I bought Windows 8.1 like 2 months before Windows 10 premiere.

Anyway, Mustafa did you tried to downgrade you Motherboard BIOS to F6 (might need force downgrade, like run BIOS recovery mode). Motherboard ID beside of ID itself also includes BIOS date and BIOS version, unfortunately :(. So downgrading BIOS to the old one might help. But it must be exactly the same one. If you don't have backup and the original F6 BIOS was loaded by manufacturer, then it probably won't work since OEM vendors tend to use some custom images on production line.

Example Motherboard ID:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  3. nexxusting

nexxusting Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980

I can't even believe this.

I'm in complete and utter shock. I'm really sorry you had to go through this crap dude.... not cool.

I pulled that info from MS's site so they have some explaining to do. They cannot do this. Period.

You think motherboard manufacturers will stand for this for even a second? Major backlash coming soon.

4. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT/290X
    Does the old method of disabling activation work on Win10 like it does on previous Windows version? I can't remember what it is called, but you do it from an admin command prompt.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    All these issues with Win10.....sad... I'm starting to lose faith in MS...

6. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Wow,I just can't believe changing the BIOS and RAM can cause such issues,I'm thinking to migrate to W10,but looks like I will be migrating if I will be really ready and have HW upgraded what I want in long therm

Good luck with sorting this and hopefully you will sort this

Thanks,Jura

7. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    This is the reason why we need developers to go with Vulkan api so we can get away from windows. If most developers starting to take advantage of Vulkan I will for sure ditch my windows and load steamos or maybe just any linux OS. You get free office stuff for linux to so no need for Microsoft office. This should teach Microsoft to mess with us.

8. stigbeater

stigbeater Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 msi gaming X
    you can get round this but its a little bit of a pain.
    1st install your version of windows 7you had before upgrading to windows 10, then activate it using your old windows 7 key you will need to use the phone activation system, it will ask you how many pc's you use the key on just select 1,
    this will activate windows 7, then you can again upgrade to windows 10.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Well, having DirectX 12 backported to Windows 7 and 8.1 would just be sheer lunacy. Sure, people moan and whinge that they're getting a free upgrade to Windows 10, that is essentially 'forced' on them, but you have to be realistic about it. Do you see people on Linux running a variation that's 6 years old? What about Mac OS from 6 years ago (when Windows 7 came out).

With Vulkan, it's purely up to Nvidia and AMD whether they decide to add driver support for it under Windows 7 and 8.1. As far as I am concerned, they should NOT. They'd be wasting development resources on it, and encouraging people to still use Windows 7 and 8.1 is just stupid. Windows 7 was far from perfect, likewise with 8.1 (well, 8.1 wasn't so bad but technically it had the luxury of being essentially a large service pack for Windows 8).

Windows 10 TH2 comes out on 02 November (supposedly). So, you can try it then.

10. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I ended up formatting my computer, installing Windows 7, activating Windows 7, and upgraded to Windows 10.

To the fella who suggested I should have backtracked my BIOS from F7 to F6, you're right, I should have tested that, but it didn't come to mind and it was too late when I saw your message. I do however remember the F6 or F7 BIOS having a warning message saying it prohibits returning to older BIOS versions.

Again, thank you everyone for your help, suggestions, and concerns.

It would honestly be at least somewhat understandable had Microsoft warned all motherboard manufacturers to place a label on the BIOS download page of every motherboard that has this issue. Just a warning message saying:

"Updating your BIOS for this board places you in danger of losing your Windows 10 Activation; please refrain from updating your firmware if you're on Windows 10 until we have resolved the issue with Microsoft"

A simple message like this would have prevented me wasting almost two full days and ruining my sleeping pattern to fix my computer.

11. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 GTX
    I have this exact Motherboard as well. I purchased my Windows 10 64 Bit home when I did a full clean install after making a DVD with the media creation tool. Since I built this system back in Febuary, I still have my previous rig (an I7 920) running windows 7.

I shouldn't have this issue activating seeming I have a windows 10 Key correct?

What I don't understand is why MS doesn't provide Keys to everyone who upgraded.

EDIT:

I rolled the dice and just updated my BIOS to F7 and I never once got asked to reactivate. I did however have to select Windows boot loader in the bios Boot options as having my SSD as my first boot option my PC couldn't even find Windows to load. I'd imagine cause of the UFEI option was back to default. I have mine now set to Legacy and UFEI now.

I also have an MS account that logins in when I restart windows 10 and with mine being a retail perhaps it reactivated on its own

I guess this is only an issue with users who upgrade to Windows 10 after all.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  12. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    You're right I guess... If you have the same motherboard as I do, it means that it only occurs to those who upgraded from previous operating systems, and not to those who purchased a Windows 10 Key. At least that helps clear things up. I will let Hilbert know so he can add this as an update to the article itself. But before I do, can you please check out one thing;

Click on the Start Menu.
    Click Settings.
    Click Accounts.
    Then Click Manage my Microsoft Account.
    It will take you to a webpage.
    Login to your Microsoft Account.
    Under Devices see how many devices it shows?

For me, after the BIOS update, it showed TWO devices with the same motherboard and deactivated my KEY.

Does yours show that you have TWO devices? and they're "both" activated (even though it's really one device)... Or did yours not even split under two devices?

13. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Master Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    If you update to Windows 10 from Windows 7, 8, 8.1 BOX version, you will get Windows 10 as OEM version, that means it is bound to the hardware on which the updated was performed. Therefore any meaningful hardware change or BIOS update will deactivate your copy for good. BOX version doesn't have that limitation. It really sucks that they downgrade the licence type. At least in older versions of Windows you could call Microsoft and reactivate you copy after BIOS update.

rogue221979, do you know which version did you purchase?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  14. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    That sounds about right, because I did not have an OEM copy. But I think something like this should be RIGHT in your face as a massive warning before you upgrade to Windows 10 "for free"... They force everyone to update, then tell everyone guess what, you got OEM keys now. Yeah okay, I'm sure it's somewhere there in the 100+ pages of terms and conditions that no one ends up reading anyway to save themselves from any backlash. PS: I'm not sure if it's 100 pages+ pages.

15. nexxusting

nexxusting Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Lol, Blackfyre sooooo annoying if I do say so myself.

Glad at least a bit of what I said previously was true.

Still, while this is an issue with MS, board manufacturers need to adapt and figure out what they are changing in their updates to make Windows 10 lose its activation. Considering keys are and always have been tied to the motherboard ID, and to my knowledge this does not change from BIOS revision to BIOS revision I am at a loss.

I've updated MEI FW, BIOS, GPU BIOS, SSD/HDD & ODD firmware while using Windows 10 on many computers and have not run into this. I'd be an idiot not to expect this to happen to me now at some point, however I am extremely curious as to WHY!?

We need to figure this out. Maybe it's as simple as hex editing the BIOS to be upgraded and copy the mobo's current ID from the current BIOS installed.

I'd be willing to give it a shot.