Should I upgrade to 16GB RAM?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Blackfyre, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Hi everyone;

My specs are to the left... My PC is high-end, missing only the videocard, which I am looking forward to upgrading next year. 8GB of RAM has been enough for gaming thus far, but I am seeing games now saying 16GB recommended, and 8GB minimum.

Anyway, there is a great opportunity to buy this dual-channel piece on special, and I am wondering whether or not it is worth it? The problem is, I am expecting DDR4 to become the norm, and DDR3 phasing out. In Australia, when that happens, the prices of the old technology which is still in demand jacks up.

So I am wondering if I want to buy this very same dual-channel kit next year in October, when I will probably be needing 16GB of RAM for gaming, it might end up costing me more than $200.

https://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemId=613560

It's on special at the moment. Regular price is $200, but it's selling for $140.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Yes, bite the bullet and go for it. More ram always come in handy. If not now, next year.

Some games are getting really close to 8GB with all these monitoring software, apps, many tabs browser in the background. I was playing TW3 last night, easily reaching 7.5GB+ ram usage.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  3. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    If you can afford it do it if moneys tight wait, 16gb gaming is coming but it is not here yet.

Video encoding 16gb is the minimum requirement unless you like waiting and waiting.

4. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I do video-editing, encoding, and photo-editing with 8GB. Yeah I might go for it by the way, should be beneficial in all aspects. Thanks for the input guys, helpful as always.

Barry, just a question though, I have the same CPU Cooler as you. These RAM Sticks are very tall aren't they? might be a problem for the second fan... :bang:

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Yup, be careful with that :

[​IMG]

6. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 20.0+
    RAM is super cheap, feel free to add another 8 GB.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    With how cheap ram is, it cannot hurt to upgrade. Just remember to match your memory!

8. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I cannot match the two sticks I already have, they are really old (outdated). I do remember buying them for $400+

I know you guys are saying RAM is super cheap, problem is, I live in Australia.

I have a great 3570K chip sitting in my room under my bed (should have sold it), because I bent the motherboard pins, December last year, and couldn't find a single store which had a compatible motherboard in-stock. And even compatible motherboards from overseas cost too much because everyone who had them, sold them for double the price (unless you're buying mini-itx).

Anyway, the way I was thinking about it... DDR4 is becoming the norm slowly, and DDR3 RAM is starting to go on clearance now.... If in a years time I am trying to buy 16GB of DDR3 when everyone is out of DD3 RAM, then those who have it, will be selling it more expensively.

The other question I wanted to ask, was regarding latency. I doubt there will be any benefits gaming wise if I for example pay an extra $200 and get C9 instead of C11 @ 2400Mhz

Other than in benchmarks, I doubt I will see any real-world differences, especially gaming wise.

So for $139, the above 2x8GB combo looks great.

9. Sabbath

Sabbath Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Hi Blackfyre,
    That looks like some nice ram. If i was you i would go for it, it will help quit a bit.

10. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Thank you everyone for the feedback, anyone else is welcome to jump in and add their opinion. I will go tomorrow afternoon on the way back home and buy it (unless someone wants to change my mind).

11. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

Personally I would add extra 8GB,as above RAM is now cheap and this upgrade is worth it in my opinion

If you do lots of Photoshoping then I would only recommend to add more RAM,how to say,in my case 32GB is not enough,when I load PS with all brushes/textures,PS taking around 8GB in best case,in worst case when I do RAW and EXR then RAM goes through 12GB easily

Agree those prices in Australia

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

12. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super

13. Mugsy

Mugsy Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    I'm doing the same thing, i have 8 gb and i'm getting 16gb. Found a good 16gb kit, 2400mhz at 110$ (converted from local currency). I'll be giving my current kit to my brother. I have no second thoughts so i would say go for it.

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    DDR3-2400 16GB with those timings are going for around $140 ($US102). CAS 10 costs around $160 (US$117) or so.

If you use http://www.staticice.com.au you can do a price comparison between stores (at least stores that report to it, not sure exactly how it works).

Here's an example search for DDR3-2400 16GB CAS 10:
    http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=ddr3-2400+16gb+c10&spos=1

Use that as a guide whether your purchase is 'worth it' or not :). You don't have to go for CAS 10, that's just an example.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  15. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Go for it been on 16gb for a few years, look into gskill as well they make some great ram.

16. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Thanks everyone for your help... I upgraded the RAM, I got the one I linked in the OP... However now Windows 10 says I have to re-activate, and it won't activate anymore. I'm not sure if it's the BIOS update or RAM change that caused it, but I had a chat with support, and called Microsoft too, none of which are able to help me. Saying hardware changes mean that you lose your product key if you upgrade... WTF? :bang:

Oh well... I have to ask my brother who is an MSDNA member to get me a new product key from his account I guess. Pathetic from Microsoft. I would be really pissed off if he can't get me key.

17. nexxusting

nexxusting Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Something else happened. I've done both (changed RAM size and updated BIOS on Windows 10) without issue.

You generally only have to re-activate if you change your motherboard.... I've never seen it before any different.

If that is actually the case and they won't help you, I'd stick it to em 100%. Crack Win 7 and upgrade... you'll see what happens. Reinstall after this and avoid BS from MS.

I'd never advocate this procedure in any other circumstance, however if MS thinks they can do this to us they are sorely mistaken.

*edit*

Took a look. The only reason you would have to reactivate is if you changed your motherboard... however you can only reactivate if you have a retail version. OEM versions of Windows 10 will not reactivate at all.

If you're saying you didn't do this, prove it to MS. They absolutely have to fix this issue for you.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Easy answer is yes.

More complex answer is, what do you use your PC for? If you like to have lots of things open at the same time then sure go for it. If your more of a "power user" and like to only work on a few things at a time then 8GB is more than enough.

I have 2 rigs, 1 with 8GB and my monster with 16GB. Both are mainly used for gaming. I only really have 16GB in my main rig because I am using SLI and more system RAM is preferable. In my second rig which is used as a Steam Machine I have had up to 20 tabs open in chrome, windows media player open playing music, a few torrents downloading, and a game open and I have not had any issues so far. But it depends on the applications being used too.

19. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    No man, it's not OEM, I kid you not it's the bloody BIOS update that done it... I just had a chat with the Microsoft Technical Team, here's my chat-log after I gave them my previous Windows Key (I took pictures of the chat log too)... I can't believe I have to format my whole computer because of a bloody BIOS update. WTF...

Someone let the GODFATHER know about this... This is genuinely stupid what I have to do because of a simple BIOS update. I have taken pictures of the whole convo and backed it to my dropbox for evidence too.

20. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    That^ is more M$ BS^......BIOS update = format = :bang: