Should I upgrade my video now?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Zoso4, Nov 11, 2006.

  1. Zoso4

    Zoso4 Member

    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    0
    GPU:
    HD 7850
    I have a amd x2 4800 with 2 gigs a ram. My video card is a x850xt do you think I should upgrade this card now or wait? I was looking at the x1950xt for $269 but not sure if its worth the money right now. Any advice would be grateful. :)
     
  2. InfDaMarvel

    InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

    Messages:
    3,218
    Likes Received:
    0
    GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    1950XT should last you about a 1 year and 1/2 from what Im guessing until they start doing DX10 games like crazy. Umm but then again your about $190 away from affording a 8800GTS....so you could overclock the X800XT to get a lil more performance and wait awile and get the extra cash for a card that whoops even more ass and will last you like 2-2 1/2 years or so, depending on how fast you upgrade.
     
  3. Scarey Lizzard

    Scarey Lizzard Master Guru

    Messages:
    460
    Likes Received:
    0
    GPU:
    Sapphire X800 Pro
    Either wait 3 months for ATi's new card, or get the 8800GT(X) right now.

    I wouldn't upgrade to the same DirectX# card, simply because once Vista comes out, pretty much all new games are going to be Direct X10.

    Overclock your current card a bit, if you haven't already. Just hang in there or get a 8800.

    My two cents.
     
  4. Spectacle

    Spectacle Banned

    Messages:
    2,296
    Likes Received:
    0
    GPU:
    X1950XTX Crossfired 780/2280
    All the New games will also support DX9 cards. It'll take at the least a year to get the ball rolling with DX10 and for there to be a decent selection of games to play with it. Or do you really think it's good ideal to buy a $670 card now when there are no DX10 games, no DX10 OS, and by the time there are games and an OS available the prices will have fallen by a good amount?
     

  5. Zoso4

    Zoso4 Member

    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    0
    GPU:
    HD 7850
  6. GenClaymore

    GenClaymore Ancient Guru

    Messages:
    6,070
    Likes Received:
    52
    GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    heh i notice i posted in the wrong thread heh. any way It depends if you need the upgrade now. I would go for it.

    Besides you can wait for the R600 to come out to see how both cards stand plus wait for the price drops. So you dont be kicking your self when those cards drop in price later on.
     

Share This Page