Should I upgrade from GTX 1080 sli to GTX 1080 Ti sli?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Kin4ksli, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Kin4ksli

Kin4ksli Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Sli
    Playing on my 4K monitor with my 1080 sli for several months, but sli not supported for assassins creed origin, hellblade and PUBG 1.0 made me mad.

Thinking of replacing two 1080 with 2 1080 ti, for the games not supporting sli, I can stil run the games at 4K max settings with 1 1080 ti.

Should I wait for next generation?

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Stop wasting your money and wait for next generation.
    Support for SLI will only get worse from now on.

Serotonin likes this.
  3. Kin4ksli

Kin4ksli Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Sli
    Was thinking about getting a Titan Xp Star Wars edition, but quite disappointed that no single gpu can handle all(or most) games 4K max at 60fps (except for titian v)

Dont really know if next generation gpu is up for the task

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Drop SLI altogether by buying one 1180 (or whatever it will be called) then sell it and buy the 1180Ti later when that one is released.

You'll always have zero problems/issues with one GPU instead of worrying every time if the next game you'll want to buy has SLI support or not. I've been a long time supporter of both CFX and SLI but I can tell you that I sleep better at night now that I don't have SLI anymore.

airbud7 likes this.

5. Kin4ksli

Kin4ksli Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Sli
    That’s why I’m thinking to buy a Titan xp Star wars edition, just surprised that it can’t even handle Witcher 3 at 4k with max settings and hairworks on.

You know when sli is working, even GTX 1080 sli can handle Witcher 3 in 4K with hairworks with ease.

My friends already tell me to wait until next generation, just tempted to buy Gtx 1080 ti sli / a Titan xp now.

6. Kin4ksli

Kin4ksli Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Sli
    Just bought my 4K monitor several months ago and I really love it.

Didn’t try 1440p/144hz yet, but should wait for a while first, just dun want to made my wife mad

mikev190 likes this.
  7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    [​IMG]

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. Kin4ksli

Kin4ksli Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Sli
    OK, should keep calm and wait

9. Kin4ksli

Kin4ksli Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Sli
    But next generation gpu isn’t gonna announce soon, maybe have to stick to my 1080s for a while

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Rumors talk about "2080" (paper?)launch on April 12th. Just rumors though. It follows each year's usual schedule... like... same procedure every year.

11. Kin4ksli

Kin4ksli Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Sli
    Just read this:

I know we’re all desperate for Jen-Hsun to say something about new gaming cards, whether they be codenamed as Nvidia Volta, Ampere, Turing, or Trump architectures, but it appears we’re not getting new consumer GPUs launching at either GDC or Nvidia’s own GTC in March.

12. Kin4ksli

Kin4ksli Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Sli
    Frankly, just bought my new rigs less than 7 months and already spent 4 or 5 grands on it, while she didn’t scold... yet

Need to act very carefully for any new additions LOL

13. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    This comment should have ended thread. Nothing more need be said.

cryohellinc likes this.
  14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Considering the next generation gaming series is all but guaranteed to arrive this year, I'd wait, especially considering the hyper-inflated prices of of video cards in general right now. And I wouldn't go SLI again, support for that is so low versus the cost and problems it brings, that I just don't think it's worth trying.

Kin4ksli likes this.
  15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Trust me, if SLI worked on every title (like it used to do back in the day), I'd be the first to go back to it. But I simply want my games to work from day 1 and therefore I chose not to have SLI. Sure, if I was super rich, I might consider it just for the kicks ;) And I agree, when it does work, it sure is sweet!

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It never worked with every title, but just going back to 2015, sli support was indeed alot better. Issue is that no single gpu can max out settings at 4k in a lot of games... and if you can't use the highest image quality, then why use 4k in the first place? So atm sli is a necessary evil for some of us.

I'm hoping that the upcoming geforce card will be at the very least 30% faster than 1080 ti, otherwise it still won't be fast enough. It likely won't be anywhere near that fast though, just as the 1080 wasn't that much faster than the 980 ti, and the 980 wasn't that much faster than the 780 ti.

17. Real 4K gaming is still a ways a way for the consumer. Manufactures and Game Devs may preach 4K all they want but the reality is that even today's highest end consumer grade cards can't handle a solid smooth and continuous 4K @ 60fps...though with today's fast paced games, 60fps is a pretty low margin to aim for anyway. So Unless SLi optimization is drastically improved to near parity, then trying to chase the elusive 4K gaming SLi setup is just a waste of money.

In many ways Game Devs and hardware manufactures are really not on the same page, and haven't been for years and years...which is a shame, but that's "business". In some ways they are far ahead of eachother and in other ways they are well behind, even many of the top game engines lack REAL coded in support for SLi....which boggles the mind...

18. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Get a life.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    You are right, I exaggerated a little but it sure was at least 90% of all the games.

The 4K thing is true but I don't think it's as bad as people say. With a few tricks here and there you can get 60fps in several games (Witcher 3 and AC:Origins just to name a few). AA for example isn't necessary at 4K if you ask me, shadows can be trimmed down a little but one thing I rather not touch is texture quality.

Game devs are indeed pushing for better and better graphics but nVidia is holding back due to lack of competition from AMD. In the end it's us consumers who loose the battle.

Dragam1337 and CalculuS like this.
  20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I completely agree on your analysis :)