1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Turn On V-Sync With Freesync..?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by zeebaluch, Oct 23, 2017.

1. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 / 8GB
    I did test to cap the frame rate using Rivatuner and I had issues in GTA 5 frame rate was dropping to 38 for no reason at times ...

2. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 / 8GB
    @OnnA - I failed to OC with CRU got some black screens ... don't know if I should also tweak the reduced v blanking ? or just test for the highest/lowest refresh rate and then change the datablocks for Freesync to match that range ?

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Yup, maby it's the way.

Also try this settings:
    Ench.Sync ON
    No FPS Cap other than Adrenalin

-> Then try to set Chill at good range e.g. 59-75

V-Sync OFF in Games always.

bernek likes this.
  4. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 / 8GB
    @OnnA will try these and report back :) Thanks !

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    RTSS has less input lag. I asked some people to do a simple test, and every time RTSS has less lag. The test is:

Configure FRTC to its lowest possible FPS (30 at this time, I think.) Configure RTSS to 0FPS (disables the FPS limiter). Load up a game and play a bit. Alt-tab to RTSS and set 29FPS as limit. This will make RTSS be the active limiter. Alt-tab back to the game. You should see lower lag with RTSS as the limiter.

This works because at 30FPS, each frame adds 33ms of input lag, so the difference of 1 frame between FRTC and RTSS is easy to tell.

An FPS cap of 73FPS should be fine when using RTSS, but I don't think anyone tested Freesync to see what the best cap is.

As for vsync, if your monitor does not to LFC (Low Framerate Compensation), then I think vsync is a must to avoid tearing when the game falls below 48FPS. Otherwise, you could just use vsync OFF and only enable it again if you see any tearing.

bernek likes this.
  6. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 / 8GB
    Thanks for input ! I will try RTSS for sure ! I have it installed. My framerate never goes bellow 48 fps because I tweak settings for 55-60 fps minimum and I only play a few games so it's not a concern for me. I will give the test a try also :D would love to see if I notice it or not ...

7. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 / 8GB
    @RealNC works perfectly ! and about the test I tried it myself and I can notice a slight lag :D Thanks for help guys

8. Kamil950

Kamil950 New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7850 1GB
    Did somebody try Freesync + RTSS RivaTuner FPS Limit -2 or -3 your monitor Hz + Enhanced Sync (and disable V-Sync in-game)?

I know that you can find test of G-Sync+RTSS+Fast Sync on BlurBuster (https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/8/) but Nvidia FastSync is different than AMD Enhanced Sync.

https://www.blurbusters.com/amd-introduces-enhanced-sync-in-crimson-relive-17-7-2/

'(...)Unlike Fast Sync, however, Enhanced Sync acts more like Nvidia’s Adaptive VSync whenever the framerate falls below the refresh rate, where it can dynamically disable itself and allow tearing to maintain input responsiveness at lower framerates(....)'.

But this is about AMD Enhanced Sync alone (without FreeSync and RTSS).

Maybe it could be fix for games with broken in-game V-Sync (so when you can't use FreeSync+RTSS+in-game V-Sync without problems like stuttering) or maybe method for all or the most of games.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  9. shakyor

shakyor Member

GPU:
    380x
    I got my AOC 2590PX with 144hz Freesync 30-144.
    But it don't work very well.
    In some games it is okay in other games there is still tearing and/or stuttering.
    Freesync is on and the fps perfect in the range.

What i already tried:
    -AOC Driver and Windows PnP Driver
    -Exclusiv Fullscreen, Borderless Windowed
    -Vsync on/off.
    -other/older amd drivers

Where it works:
    Dying Light, Witcher 3, Left 4 Dead 1,2, Alien Isolation
    Where don't:
    Divinity Original Sin 1/ 2, Nioh, Dark Souls 1-3, Borderlands 1-3, Dead Space 1-3 and some other Games

Any ideas?

(Sry for my bad english :D )

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  10. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    run exclusive fullscreen, and use RTSS to cap framerates to -3 frames from max.

11. shakyor

shakyor Member

GPU:
    380x
    Already did. But it doesn't work.

12. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    also "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations" this will allow for true exclusive fullscreen

13. Meccs

Meccs Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 8G
    How are we back to suggesting Ench.Sync ON and VSync OFF when all previous discussions were absolutely clear to limit to -2 and VSync ON tested by @yasamoka
    battlenonsense also tested FreeSync with the "cap below refresh" and VSync ON and there was no additional input lag. So I would still trust both these guys more than anyone here in the forum suggesting XYZ because "he feels that it works for him". Enhanced sync is bad as well as the Adrenaline FPS limiter and Chill since it can frack with your aim in FPS due to inconstant frame times! (also tested by battlenonsense)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 9:51 PM