Should I switch cards? Time sensitive!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Mikehud1984, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Mikehud1984

Mikehud1984 Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX470
    Hello,

Just a quick question of whether I should send my card back and trade up to the 470 instead? I purchased my card on the 29th of sept so my window of opportunity to send it back to newegg is up on oct 29th I paid $250us for my msi hawk 460 and now the reference 470 is at $260us. Would this be worth sending mine back to get the 470? Would it be a decent performance gain? Thanks for any help I receive on this topic.

2. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    I doubt this works. You would have to pay the 29th September price for that 470. But ask them, they know it.

3. Mikehud1984

Mikehud1984 Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX470
    Well I was planning to return it get my money back and then buy the 470 not try to just trade it out I figured the wouldnt go for that.

4. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    Overclock your card and you can easily match the 470 in performance with better thermals and less power draw.

5. Daaknite

Daaknite Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 2gb
    Agreed

6. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I recently bought a EVGA GTX 470, very good card. It would be worth it if you could ship the card back at a reasonable price.

Here's the Guru3D review for the MSI hawk. See for yourself if it's worth it.
    The pages with the benchmarks have a chart at the bottom that compares cards.
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-460-hawk-review/1

Also note I can easily OC my EVGA GTX 470 vanilla card to match a GTX 480.

7. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    Check to see if you have to pay a 10 or 20% fee when you return the card...... not worth it imo.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I wouldn't mess with it honestly.

9. Mikehud1984

Mikehud1984 Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX470
    Well here is the deal. I would have to pay $12 to ship it back. I'm not sure I'd have to pay any restocking fee but possibly 15% max if they charge me that. I have overclocked my card to the max I have been able to reach which is 900mhz core, 1800mhz shaders, and 2000mhz mem. Voltages at +80mV core, +20mV mem, +30mV aux. I have raised the volts and played around and this seems to be the highest it will go and I'm disappointed that it does not handle Dirt 2 on max settings with only 2x AA and Vsync enabled without stuttering pretty badly around certain corners on certain tracks some it plays perfectly smooth others not so much. I also don't know why but while monitoring my card at default specs with GPU-Z the voltage is at 0.975 on the core at idle and during a Furmark run with the GPU at 100% load it still remains at 0.975vddc in GPU-Z with it set to show maximum voltage reached. I hope the voltage regulator is not damaged as it seems to not switch at all. Any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  10. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    Yes the 470 overclocked is far faster then the 460 overclocked. And stock vs stock the 470 is obviously much faster and has more video memory. I upgraded from a 460 I was running it at 900mhz core and I am far more impressed with my overclocked gtx 470 my 3d mark score is 4000 points higher in performance....I just told newegg my 460 was defective and they even coverd the cost of shipping an gave me a full refund which I put right towards my 470 which I got for only 229.99 on newegg about 3 weeks ago(recertified) and overclocked its actually slightly faster then a stock 480

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010

11. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    reminds me of my buddy. He just bought a 5870, and then 28 Days Later (pun intended?) the 6870 comes out. Too late to send it back and not worth the overnight shipping.

Although I really dont mess with sending things back online, I would just keep what you have.

12. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    There would be no point also seeing as its faster than the 6870.

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Thing is, this is not a good time for upgrading, with all the cards getting released in the coming months or even weeks it's better to wait even if you don't buy the new ones, old model prices might drop.

As for your question if I were you I would try it, 470 is the better card no question, and the eternal oc argument is invalid since you can oc the 470 just aswell. :)

14. Mikehud1984

Mikehud1984 Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX470
    Great input guys much appreciated! :) I called Newegg this morning and they are going to take it back and give me a full refund no restocking fee and are paying for shipping :) also they went ahead and extended the return policy for me as the card would have arrived outside the thirty day mark if they hadn't. They did this fully willingly without me even asking really I love newegg they are incredibly awesome! So now that I'll be getting my money back I don't know which card to buy. I have built with Ati before but have really come to like the Nvidia solution for their great driver/game support as well as the onboard physics processing and overall quality and performance but Ati's 6800 line seems pretty good and I'm debating going back to them. Any thoughts on what's the best performance for the money?

15. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Well buddy was planning on crossfire 2 5850's, but instead just got one 5870. Then these come out and crossfire performance is much cheaper to obtain in the end.

16. DF-1

DF-1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    wow, that's VERY generous of them. I really don't know a store who would do that.

I'd probably take a custom cooled GTX 470 and OC it since their prices dropped like crazy.

my brother has the palit/gainward version and it runs really quite, really cool and OC's great!

17. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    yeah --- newegg is the best in the world as far as I'm concerned. :) If you have $230 get a 6870, great value right there. :)