1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I stick with my 980 Ti for now?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AMD4Life, Dec 18, 2017.

1. AMD4Life

AMD4Life Member Guru

GPU:
    NV GTX 980 TI 6GB
    I built my new system earlier this month and reused the GTX 980 Ti from my previous X58/Xeon rig. I would like to get into 1440p 144Hz with GSync, but I currently only own a 1080p 60Hz monitor. Is it even worth the money to upgrade to a 1080/1080 Ti at this point in time? Maybe I should get a quality 1440p GSync monitor first?

I know the Titan V just released and maybe more info on the other Volta cards will soon follow. I suppose I could also try to find a good deal on a used 1080 or 1080 Ti then sell it when Volta "2080" releases.

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6gb
    If I had a 980 Ti I would wait.

pegasus1 and airbud7 like this.
  3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury CFX
    Get the monitor first IMHO. 60hz is so now worth that kinda of gpu. the 980ti still will drive a 1440p monitor quite well even at this point.

4. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG STRIX 1070
    You should probably get the monitor first and see which of your games will run good on that monitor with your 980Ti. There are some games that your video card can run pretty good on 1440p @144Hz. Which games are you even playing? When they release the Volta gpu's, get one then. Sounds good?

5. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Unless you want 4k@144hz panel, there no need to wait on monitor. Start researching and find the panel that fits you.
    1440@144hz is pretty sweet.

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I'm using a 980 Ti on a 1440p g-sync monitor and it's pretty sweet. G-sync takes care of the case where you can't pull 144FPS. Basically, once you reach 80FPS it starts to feel pretty good, and everything above 90FPS looks almost the same to me as 144FPS.

Without g-sync, 90FPS on 144Hz is crap. So yeah, i'd pick a monitor over a 1080 Ti. G-sync is going to work wonders for your 980 Ti.

In your case, since you're currently on 60Hz, 90FPS+ with g-sync is probably going to result in a jaw drop. :p

7. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080ti GAMING X
    I went 980ti sli to 1080ti awesome performance jump but I changed from 1080p pretending to be a 4k to real 4k first so I agree monitor then GPU

I loved sli when it worked but in games I play with no sli support the single 980ti wasn't enough for 4k the 1080ti overclocked is almost the same as 980ti sli

8. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix Vega 64
    980 Ti is a great card I'd go with the gsync+980 Ti - IMO

I have NO experience with gsync, but people say it does what it says on the tin, so IMO, very hard not to recommend that, would be different if you had a 780Ti or something.

9. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x970,Gsync,3DVsn2
    Whatever you will choose you will want to get the other too...

what I mean is if you get new gpu first you will see that your current monitor is not "enough" ,
    if you get new monitor you will see that you will need more -gpu- power...BUT to answer your dilemma I would prefer first new monitor, you will benefit more from Gsync with your 980ti and you will be happier for your eyes (better monitor etc).

Don't forget..getting a 1440p 144hz monitor you will desperately "need" more and more fps in every game, just be patient, if anything won't go straight South ( lol ) a 1080 Ti price will drop as time passes and when you will be able and see any -g00d- offer go for it.

Also, if you see a GREAT offer for a second 980Ti....whatever the -low- cost DON'T go for SLI, it mostly doesn't worth..sure when it works it's amazing but nowdays more and more games don't and won't support it. Save money unless someone gives you for free..

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  10. AMD4Life

AMD4Life Member Guru

GPU:
    NV GTX 980 TI 6GB
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I figured going for the 1440p GSync monitor first would be the best option. Getting a higher powered GPU would be mostly a waste for 1080p/60Hz.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Keep 980ti, it has "plenty" of power left, just OC it beyond 1400mhz and it will rival 1070ti np, at times close to 1080.

Which particular gsync monitor have you been looking at?

12. AMD4Life

AMD4Life Member Guru

GPU:
    NV GTX 980 TI 6GB
    I haven't really decided on one yet. I would like to stick to 24" though and the Dell S2417DG seemed like a good economical choice. I also like that it doesn't have a gaudy "I'm a gamer" look to it. That said I understand it is a TN panel and it has some limitations compared to more expensive IPS panels.

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    I wouldn't get a TN panel at this point in time, really. There's little point unless you're trying to save money on what is already an expensive product. These monitors can easily carry over for several years if you're not going for 4K, Ultrawide, or HDR anytime soon.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I definitely wouldn't get a TN panel, at certain angles their colours can invert and I find that anything but looking at them dead on distracts me too much. I hear modern VA panels don't invert colours but the black level increases making the viewing angles crappy anyway.

Honestly even with light bleed or whatever you want to call it, I still wouldn't get anything but an IPS these days. Sad there isn't something definitively better all these years that's readily available.

And for the record when I say IPS I mean everything that works like that, which includes AUO's poorly named AHVA which is not a VA type (it's an IPS type) and Samsung's PLS. Though from what I've seen pretty much all high refresh rate "IPS" monitors are AUO AHVA panels.

Also keep in mind that next year 4K HDR 144Hz panels are coming, and I presume after that 1440K HDR 144Hz panels are coming. So if you want HDR, you'll have to wait.

15. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    They do make TN panels now that correct this problem, by adjusting the back lighting. My UE510 has this option, and it works very well.

16. Aitortxo

Aitortxo Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680 OC
    If I were you, I would wait for the next Nvidia card model. I have an old GTX 680 OC running an ultrawide 1080p 144hz GSync monitor with kinda good fps. You should be fine with your GTX 980Ti at 1440p.

17. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Gaming
    I don't know that you have much of a choice but to stick with it for now due to Bitcoin miners. Not unless you want to pay massively inflated prices.

18. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x970,Gsync,3DVsn2
    ^^ Correct on this one,

however I don't agree that waiting for next gen will help, first upcoming Volta (Amprere or whatever) won't be for gamers, next gen of them sure who really knows..while -much- time will pass and we may or may not see 1080 Ti price drop, maybe a bit.

19. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    Next to a persons car, (if you are a geek like me), your computer is what you will splurge on. Don't half step. Go top shelf or you will always be second guessing yourself. If it cost a dime more to go first class, do it. GL, :>)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    airbud7 likes this.
  20. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Its a great card and its only games that push to 6gb at 1440p that will really test it. The 1080Ti at launch was a great buy as the prices are no different now than then.