Should I return my rtx 4090? Display port 1.4

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by SorenDK84, Dec 6, 2022.

1. SorenDK84

SorenDK84 New Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 390
    Hi all

I have purchased my rtx 4090 13 days ago and it is still not installed.
    Main two reason, needed new PSU and extra pci-e cables.
    In the main time I have become a little uncertain if rtx 4090 are that good or maybe I should return it.
    First reason for the purchase, is that I have upgraded my pc but it still have my old 290x (don't laugh I can still play new games).
    The second main reason is I would like to play pc VR.
    And that is my main concern. Is Display port 1.4 good enough for that. Yes yes I know it is the standard today but what about already next year 2023.
    I did read some articles regarding the bandwidth for 1.4 and what challenges that brings already today. Already today games needs to use DCS compression because the dp 1.4 don't have enough bandwidth.
    And further I did read that to make VR a better experience and optimize the technical thing like better field of view and so on, VR will need more bandwidth.
    Then we can argue and I also believe that wireless VR will be the new main goal for VR right now. And wifi 7 that is on the way can perform with a little more bandwidth then dp 1.4.
    But anyway I also believe that there will come new VR headset ther will try to push the technology and that's is were I get my concern with the dp 1.4.

And also regarding new monitors and new focus on better and deeper color standards. All that will need more bandwidth.

Hi I am 37 and no, i don't really care about 360mhz and 8K (8k on 32" don't think I can see the difference), but I really would like to purchase a graphic card that I can trust to hold many years for now, like my 290x :) and I play max 6 hours a week.

2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RX 6800 XT
    4000 series are pure money grabs.
    Return if you can and buy a 3000 series card on discount after the holidays and you're left with over $1000 that you can save for the 5000 series.

Or continue with AMD.
    I'm pretty happy with my 6800 XT, it plays everything maxed at 1440p, and I paid under $700 for it.

3. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    Yes.

Get a 3080/6800/6900 or wait for 7900 launch.

4. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I'd keep it, i read the OP, the 4090 is the best card in world right now, in my opinion at least.
    It's a valuble thing to have is a 4090, for sure keep the thing.

pegasus1 likes this.

5. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    It all depends on which resolution and refresh rate you wish to run your VR games at and how demanding they are as well as which VR headset you wish to use. At the moment, there is no consumer card better for demanding VR games/sims than the RTX 4090 (speaking from experience with my HP Reverb G2 headset). It isn't even close. Now, the 7900 XTX may hopefully come at least close, but we'll see about that. Display port 1.4 may become an issue with a higher end headset than mine, but it's fine for the Reverb G2. For higher-end VR every little bit of performance helps.

There will always be better technology around the corner, you could wait forever. If you have buyer's remorse because of the 4090 price (including upgrades it may entail), then perhaps you should return it and get something cheaper instead.

That said, I really enjoy my 4090, it's so much better than my old 3090 for VR, especially in sims it isn't even a contest.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    pegasus1 likes this.
  6. SorenDK84

SorenDK84 New Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 390
    I do not have any doubt that RTX 4090 are the very best card out there.
    And I know that I could wait forever (now 13 years :) ). But I can always turn down the graphic settings but I can't replace an input on my graphic card and I think if display port 2.1 are going to be the new standard from 2023,then missing this already are a big thing...or what?

7. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    No idea about VR, but im running HDR 4k 240hz over DP here just fine.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    To be completely honest, I wouldn't bother concerning yourself about whether or not you're somehow missing out by keeping the 4090 and not getting a card that has DisplayPort 2.0/2.1 outputs. For one.... with the 7900XT/XTX being the first cards on the market that support it.... do you really think any monitor you can buy will start taking advantage of it anytime soon? Technically, DisplayPort 2.0 was introduced in 2019. Almost 3 years since its announcement, and only now a display adapter uses it. Look at HDMI 2.1 and how long it took for TV's to start using that.

Unless you plan on gaming at 8K anytime soon (which is just about the only benefit of DP 2.0/2.1, 8K 60fps without display stream compression), I'm fairly certain a 4090 will be well beyond adequate for any sort of VR experience you may try to throw its way.

9. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    4090 is very fast and plays games very fast :)
    If you like having the fastest GPU and playing everything at the fastest it can be played, then the fastest GPU is for you. If you don't care, get the GPU that is not the fastest.

10. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RTX 4080
    for sure keep the thing

11. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    What 30 series overstock are you all talking about? Seems like you are parroting a few youtubers you heard 4 months ago and didn't do your own up-to-date research. 3080, 3080Ti, 3090, 3090Ti are all end of life status and no longer in production. Almost all stores sold out remaining stock. Only 3050, 3060 and 3070 cards are still in production, and 3070 is the next one to go end of life.

So basically there is no high end 30 series cards you can buy in stores any longer. Only used ones from ebay etc.

12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    The 4090 is the most powerful card available, and VR is very GPU demanding, the answer seems logical to me. Be careful listening to those who offer advice based on their dissatisfaction with GPU prices rather than what is best for you.

DaddyD302 and cucaulay malkin like this.

13. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    exactly.
    and do some common sense reasoning too - whatever resolution/refresh dp1.4 doesn't support won't run on 7900xtx smoothly anyway.
    enjoy what you have.

14. Nopa

Nopa Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 & RX 580
    The 4090 also has the best resale value over any other cards in the market. Keep it.

15. vestibule

vestibule Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Return it and with the money saved get your self a small forest moon. Also with the leccy you would save over 12months get a Lambo Diablo. :rolleyes:

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    You mean like Quark's cousin, Gaila? :D

vestibule likes this.
  17. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    For now, because supply is still somewhat constrained in certain regions. Long term its price will also plummet the most in second hand market in 1-1.5 years.

18. DaddyD302

DaddyD302 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GamingTrio 4090
    You're gonna have to upgrade your psu at one point or another. I'm still using my EVGA Supernova 1K P+ from 2014 but eventually it will die and I'll need to replace it. I was hesitant to buy the 4090 too but have no regret getting one now. I can easily game on 4K without any worries. VR is much more demanding than 4K so you're gonna need the 4090. It's better to have too much of something rather than not enough. Keep it as they are hard to find and the performance is what you need for VR.

Read this story on why the 4090 cost so much.
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/why-nvidias-4080-4090-cost-so-damn-much